Petrol or Diesel ?

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 475 Views:2832 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to upgrade from my V6 Prado to a late model Landcruiser. I am unsure of which is the best way to go. Diesels get better fuel economy, last longer (if serviced by the book), are more reliable, and require twice as many services. I have bee told that diesel Land cruisers towing heavy loads have the oil and filter changes scheduled every 2,500km. On the other side, petrol is cheaper everwhere I have been, engines require fewer scheduled services, are cheaper to recondition (so I'm told), have more power than diesel, what's the go? TIA. Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Oct 21, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 21, 2001 at 00:00
I presume your talking a 2nd hand model? I have owned Turbo Diesels for last 3 models a FZE and a 1HZ. If my choice was between a naturally aspirated diesel [1HZ] and the 1FZE, go the petrol! service costs are cheaper, fuel consumption is not that different especially when loaded and towing. Reliability is not a factor, there are many 1FZE's running around with over 400,000ks and no drama's. Fuel cost similar, and you can buy the FZE's at a good price on the 2nd hand market.
My current 4WD is a HDFT [turbo diesel] Auto the ultimate travelling towing vehicle IMO. Have you looked at the Prado TD? maybe that is what your after.
AnswerID: 1249

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00
Peter, For your info, I have a 93 Troopie (not the most areodynamic vehicle around) it has the 4.5lt 1FZ-FE motor (the write ups on these say bullet proof - to date I have to agree). The previous owner put it on gas (which I would have done). On petrol it returns 5.6ks per litre and on gas 4.6ks per litre. I recently had it checked by a mechanic with digital tuning equipment which gave it a completely clean bill of health.
AnswerID: 1254

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00
I have a diesel HZJ 80 series and over 93000 kms have averaged 24.51 mpg or 11.6 litres per 100 kms , with the highest being 17.9 mpg or 15.82 litres per 100 kms over the Simpson this year. I am pretty happy with this ! Mainly city driving with a few long (month) trips to Outback etc., fully loaded with all bar the kitchen sink!

steve
AnswerID: 1263

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00
Having owned both of the vehicles you are cotemplating buying I still ponder the question. I bought a new 4.5 lt GXL manual in 94, it nearly sent me broke in fuel in 3 years averaging about 14mpg, mind you you can pick up sweet ones around 5 years old for around $26,000 in auto which I belive is the way to go for a petrol, that makes up for a lot of fuel. Gas is expensive up here so no advantage but a well set up gas auto would probably be the way to go. When you consider a similar age turbo diesel still fetches over $40,000, a well set up petrol auto is a hell of a lot of car for the money. Personally my next car will be a late model multivale turbo diesel 80 series. Sorry to further confuse the issue.
Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 1267

Sponsored Links