Turbo charging landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 21, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 478 Views:4572 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket turbochatging of the Toyota !HZ diesl motor? Is any one type of turbo charger better than another? Any problems to look out for?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony- Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Greg. I added a turbo to my 1HZ. Make sure the fitters weld/braze or silver solder the fitting for the 'oil return line to the sump' to the sump. Some just punch a hole and thread the fitting. Mine fell off at Cape York. The dealer paid for the repairs (thankfully) and showed me the manufacturers fitting instructions where the punch and thread method is the recommended method. They (the dealer) have since changed the way they fit them after several failures. Also would have preferred the sump to be removed *before* making a hole for the return line. Make sure the fitter has the equipment and experience to adjust the fuel pump. You need to bump the fuel delivery up a bit with a turbo. No point in having extra air if there's not enough fuel to take advantage of it. Check if boost and/or ETG guages are an option. Boost gauges are cheap to add later but I'm having a hard time finding an ETG at a realistic price in OZ. Mine is water cooled - some aren't. Fit a turbo timer, but be warned, a new law in NSW makes it an offence to leave your vehicle running if your not in it. Locked or not makes no difference. As a matter of fact, in NSW it is now an offence to not lock your vehicle if you leave it. Adding a intercooler adds heaps extra power but they nearly double the price, not sure if it is worth the extra. I haven't tried different brands of turbo, this one is my first. Tell your insurance company but expect the premiums to increase.Fuel ecconomy may improve or could get worse - depends on how you drive. Make sure you change your oil evey 5k. The turbo is harder on oils. I change my filter each time I change my oil. On the 80 series there is a dust bowl on the bottom of the air cleaner box. This can rub against the inlet tubing from the turbo, mine does. I don't know how to correct this as yet so I keep an eye on it and replace it if it looks like wearing through. I think the turbo needs to be rotated a degree or two but I dont know if this is possible. Thats about all I can think of.
AnswerID: 1259

Follow Up By: Greg - Thursday, Oct 25, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 25, 2001 at 00:00
Tony, thanks for the info and for taking the time for such a detailed response!
FollowupID: 387

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2001 at 00:00
I bought a 1990 GXL 1HZ cruiser 1 year ago with 245,000 ks, I serviced the injectors and adjusted the tappets and bolted on a no frills DTS turbo from TJM, $2495 retail and it has absolutely transformed the car, loads of bottom end grunt, no increase in fuel consumptiom, best value for money I have spent on a diesel cruiser.
AnswerID: 1264

Reply By: jeremy - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2001 at 00:00
I work for Opposite Lock and we have just finished fitting a Denco Turbo system to a 100 Ser 4.2 Auto with great results, goes much better ! And we did remove the sump and welded in the oil return line ! good systems you would not regret it !...... contact your nearest Opp-Lock Store or checkout the web site ! Good Luck.
AnswerID: 1271

Sponsored Links