some-thing for nothing

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:16
ThreadID: 4805 Views:1582 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Why is it we always want some-thing for nothing? There seems to always be a sizeable number of Visitors and even more Anon's on the site. Most wanting info and takeing part in forum. How about you guys give a bit back to the site. Cough up with some membership. Every $ helps with the development of this site. Which I'm sure you will all agree is THE BEST. Let it never end!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:56

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:56
A bit harsh Pedro. A search of your posts reveals that you were frequenting this forum from January onwards as a visitor. You posted on 3 Jan and 26 March without member status. Only your posts of today show you as a member. I therefore assume you have recently become a paid up member and were previously getting the 'something for nothing' that is the basis of your question. Seems a bit like the preachings of a converted smoker to me. Maybe people are just feeling their way and trying before they part with the cash. Anyway, it's probably none of my business how Michelle and David run their site - nor yours. CheersMoggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 19506

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:04

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:04
Edit - the 3 Jan posting may not of being yours as it refers to a different vehicle, but the 26 March one definitely was - maybe you only had one lick at 'something for nothing'. I think that if anyone can contribute, member or not, and if they are allowed by the site administrators, then we can all benefit from the wider input.Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
FollowupID: 12301

Reply By: Member - Pedro (SA) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:12

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:12
change of profile must have done it. Let it never end!
AnswerID: 19508

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:12

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:12
i used to come here all the time to get something for nothing .then when the time came for a member call.i figuered ive saved more in the info ive gathered from here to well and truly cover membership feeseaster fun at jamison
AnswerID: 19522

Reply By: herkman - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:32

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:32
It is a difficult situation, especially for those of us who are on pensions.

I would have liked to to have kept working, and when I had to take early retirement, my income dropped by 65%.

I run a web site myself, and well understand the costs and time in doing so. But if I had to subscribe to each forum that I belong to, I would have to desist.

Whilst some of us, may be getting something for nothing, many of us like to think we put back something into the system. When one gets to my age, life has shared many experiences with us, and I for one am very keen to pass these on.

It is each contributor to web sites, that makes it a success, and I hope that I will be allowed to share my life's actions, in the future.

Am I my brothers keeper, I like to think that most of us think that way. I could not count how many times, I have helped a standed traveller continue on his way, and I am sure you would do the same for me.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 19527

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 20:04

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 20:04
Pedro seems to think that we so called visitors only take from the site,,
If not for the regular visitors you can almost guarantee the site becomes stagnate and slowly dies,, case in point,,www.worldchess network.com
was free and paid [gold ]members,, now is gold members,silver members,+ regular members who make up 99% of players yet are now denied any useful form of competition,,by doing so the site is dying,,90% less hits.,90% less people to play than before,,,
To Pedro I say you had better NOT look at or read or follow any and all that is or was posted / replied /followed up by any who are not members as in your tiny cerebal space we are not worthy,,one word describes Pedro,, 5 letters ,starts with P and ends with K.
FollowupID: 12335

Reply By: herkman - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:42

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:42
On reflection, I thought I would share a story with you.

Many years ago I was travelling from Sydney to Cowra.

Half way between Bathurst and Cowra, we came upon a broken down Valiant, and of course we stopped.

Found that the wire between the points and distributor body had broken.

Put in a bit of wire out of my tool box, and said to the driver, who I thought was a little up set, "that will get you to Cowra, but you do need to buy a new set of points before continue further".

We arrived at father in laws at Cowra, and the next morning I went down to get the paper. As I was coming out I found the fellow from yesterdays breakdown waiting for me.

He expressed his thanks, and then broke down. My wife was staying up here with relo's, and she had a stoke. My daughter and I was trying to get here real quick.

We able to spend 30 minutes with her before she passed away. If you had not stopped we would have missed her.

If I ever had doubts about stopping before, it all changed.

If only, is a few small words, but how it can impact onto our Lifes.

Regards

Col Tigwell

AnswerID: 19529

Reply By: Solar King - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:42

I only ever reply to posts with information and have no intention of paying for that privalege.
AnswerID: 19530

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 00:42

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 00:42
Hi Solar King,

That's ok and is your choice entirely. However I hope you don't mind me clarifying this one point - Membership has very little to do with paying to use the Forum, and ExplorOz is far more than just the Forum alone.

Membership is about benefits (discounts from advertisers, and benefits from us - free shop postage, free DISPLAY trader ad with photos, 5% discount off shop items (member money), enhanced features etc. )

People also understand that Membership is how ExplorOz generates a revenue stream - we are totally self-funded and ExplorOz is not a hobby - its a business within itself with no other supporting shopfront or business activity.

Just thought I'd get that straight...ExplorOz
FollowupID: 12370

Reply By: Solar King - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:42

I only ever reply to posts with information and have no intention of paying for that privalege.
AnswerID: 19531

Follow Up By: Member - Michael - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:40

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:40
Remember it is a privelige to have a site as good as this and not a right dont be so bull nosed about it. Gotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
FollowupID: 12397

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:52

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:52
Prado
that the visitors or the anon's arn't spending sh*t loads of $$$$ in other areas of the web site or not loging on as members or customers we each suport the site in many diferant ways some pasive by just being here others by jioning as members & others by advertising you see not every body wants to wear their support on their sleves like a badge,also rememberif you offer something up for free you cant complain when people take it & be aware comments like yours can imbaress people in to not visiting the site due to implied ownership by members if that happens the best site in the world will struggle more to make the ends meet 1% of profit on 100 000 hits a year is beter than 5% profit on 10 000
jm2cw
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 19533

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:59

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:59
Hey guys, take it easy. Don't be so deffensive. He was just trying to stir some support for the site. Unlike some of the unwarranted responses above, nothing Pedro said was attacking, particularly critical or offensive. You may disagree with his opinion, but respond in like, rather than getting rude and aggressive.

Publican, what's got up your nose? Forget your happy pills today, or just had a lousey Friday? Geez!Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19548

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:35

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:35
Gotta agree with you Rohan.
Most people have positive input- and even when someone says something with which you disagree- why get antsy about it.

I think it's a bit like road rage- there are some disgusting drivers on the road- but getting angry about them only makes the whole situation a lot more dangerous! (by all means report them to the police...)
I think good policy is what my wife and I have tried to teach our 4 kids-
" If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all"

That doesn't mean you can't have a debate or disagree with someone- just do it in a respectfull and polite manner.

Cheers everybody.
FollowupID: 12377

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:13

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:13
Rohan K and David N , no did not forget the happy pills [dont use them , Mr xxxx + Mr walker are a better option ] and no I did not just have bad Friday,,,Pedro's post was offensive to not only myself but to many other users of this site ,,,his post implies that unless you are a paid up member you should not be on the forum,,,, bit like the 1st time I went to the local RSL club after returning from a little asian country instead of taking part of ww11.
FollowupID: 12413

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:02

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:02
Publican, glad to hear your Friday was OK but sorry you felt offended. I'm sure it wasn't intended. The language used was all very civil and the offense you may have suffered was, at best, through implication and referenced a broad group of unanmed/unidentified persons.

Your reply however, was not. It was a clear and personal attack on an individual named/identified ans was clearly intended to be offensive. You could have expressed your objection to any perceived implication without being so damn rude.

On the balance of replies/follow-ups in this thread, it appears your comments were perceived to be more offensive than Pedro's. Perhaps you could try practicing what you preach.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12433

Reply By: Member - Michael - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:31

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:31
Seems like Pedro has become a bit of a whipping boy when he was only acting in the best intentions of the site.All be it with maybe a little to much enthusiasm. Lighten up a little it was not really a slur on humanity or has it just pricked a few guilty feelings.We are all here for the same purpose to get out and enjoy ourselves.Do not get so defensive.And yes we all do agree this is the best site. Gotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
AnswerID: 19579

Sponsored Links