4WD Campervan Gibb river road

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:15
ThreadID: 4812 Views:2004 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

My parents are visiting Australia & would like to travel Darwin to Kimberlys via the Gibb River road. They have made some enquiries via the internet but the cost seems high ($240 per day) for a 4wd camper. Can anyone recommend perhaps a smaller NT company that caters for this kind of hire vehicle.
Many Thanks
Kerstin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Operator - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:46

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:46
And what is so special about the Gibb River Road? If it is dry a standard road vehicle will go along the Gibb River Road. If you are lucky enough to go after it has been graded it is like a highway. Far more interesting places to drive than the Gibb River Road. Could not recomend you take a caravan along the Gibb River Road.
AnswerID: 19532

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 23:14

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 23:14
I'd like to see anyone get across the Pentecost in a standard vehicle if it happens to rain while you're halfway up the Gibb. Can't say as I recall Pentecost to Kalumburu turn-off as being all that pleasant last year so unless someone has the benefit of (quality) prior knowledge then I think you're being irresponsible with your comments. I agree the GRR is not too hard but one decent rain and you could be stuck there for weeks in a standard vehicle.
As for interesting, I think most would agree that GRR offers a multitude of interesting places to see (Mitchell Plateau, Bell Gorge, Lennard Gorge to name but a few).
Beware of frshly graded roads as they are often more prone to puncturing your tyres than not.
I concur wholeheartedly on the caravan option.
FollowupID: 12360

Follow Up By: Indy - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:40

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:40
Top End Operator and Allyn,
Could you be a little more specific about not taking a caravan. What about the true off road vans. Could you tell me what would cause them problems because I was considering taking one of the off roads vans (16') along the road.
Regards,
Indy
FollowupID: 12547

Follow Up By: Allyn - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:01

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:01
Off Road van should be fine in the right circumstances and a 16 footer sounds about right to me. Don't know about Mitchell Plateau but possibly could get to Kalumburu. You'll get no sympathy if things go wrong I'd reckon but we had friends who left there van at Bell Gorge in anticipation of rough going and stated that given their time over again they would take the van.
TE Operator possibly has a lot more experience than me with these matters and hopefully can enlighten you more
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 12597

Reply By: Member - Chris - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 20:44

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 20:44
Kerstin,

The advice above must be confusing to you. The GRR is, or more correctly can be, a challenging drive depending upon when you drive like the operator said. However, the scenery is far more interesting than the Victoria highway and there are some interesting characters to meet in the homesteads along the way. At the western end, there are quite a few good places to see and if you have the time and the vehicle, the Bungle Bungles at the eastern end of the Victoria highway are worth a visit.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific company in Darwin, but I hope your parents enjoy the stay.Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 19538

Sponsored Links