Fishing in the NT

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 09:27
ThreadID: 4821 Views:3322 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm going to Darwin in July to visit my son, and will be wanting to "wety a line". I've been there severeal times with a tinnie, but this time I wont have the boat. So I'm stuck to fishing from the shore - with my mates the crocs!!!!!

Anyone kmow of any good (and safe) fishing spots where you can fish from the shore or beach. I'll be in Darwin 9 days, and coming back through Roper Bar, Boorooloola, and Hells Gate Roadhouse.

Got to get a fish in all that time :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 10:52

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 10:52
Hi Steve
The jetties at Darwin Habour and the one at Nightcliff (a suburb about 20mins from the CBD) are both good fishing spots and about as safe as you’ll get in the Top End. There is also a creek mouth at the end of Lee Point Road that’s good.
Land based is a bit limited . Maybe you could give yourself, or get your son to give you an early Xmas present and hire a guide and get out to Corroboree Lagoon – a good guide will wait on you hand a foot and definitely get you onto fish! I have a couple of friends that are professional guides –if you are interested email me on alex@resultsnow.com.au.

We towed a boat all through the top end and often took out fellow travelers that were polite & friendly.Most were a delight to have onboard for a day. (There were also a couple that I could have used as berley!) –So fish (hang around) the boat ramps , smile a lot, lend a hand and just ask something like… would you like a bit of company on the water (with your best smile!) -they can only say no.

Tight lines
Alex
AnswerID: 19577

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:43

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:43
There is some good land based fishing around the NT but you have to wade in mud up to your knees. The best is done from boats. I was in Melville Isl for a week a month back chasing barra and it was tops, out with guides every day. I had my own gear but a lot of guides supply gear on a replacment cost basis. Best to avoid the big tides ie. full and new moons. Fish the neap tides ie first and last quarters. Use Gold Bomber lures (shallow divers) around the mud flats and Tilsen barra lures (1 - 2 meters deep) around the snags and hang on, if a Mangrov Jack hits the lure lock your thumb on the spool or you'll get done in the snags.
Rods around 6-8lb bait caster, line - Berkely fire line 20lb on a quality bait caster reel. Ask the guides what and where, they buy their gear or use there's.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19656

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:44

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:44
Check this site also

http://www.hotspot.com.au/prices.htmCarpe Diem
FollowupID: 12453

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 11:36

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 11:36
Going to be back in the Territory after 20 years and am wandering if you reguire a fishing licence as we will be up in July.
Bruce.Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
FollowupID: 12463

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:33

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:33
Nope. There's a great tackle shop in Darwin center of town, next to the RSL, can't remember the name. Prices there were cheaper than Syd.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 12466

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:24

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:24
The creek at the end of Lee Point road is called Buffalo creek and has some good sized barra just whatch the sand flies (and crocs) after sun down.
Forget the lures, use live mullet. you cant go wrong !

Shady camp was one of my best spots for barra (2 hours south).
(lures only at Shady camp)

AnswerID: 19692

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:50

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:50
Some bloody big crocs at Shady camp though. Wouldn't catch me standing on the bank there. First time there I saw a croc wander through the campground! Needless to say, I wouldn't camp on the ground there and don't wander around at night.

Also, try this site. It is pretty comprehensive:

http://www.fishingtheterritory.com.au/home/

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 12675

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:29

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:29
Yep, big crocs there !

You may ask why so many crocs at the one spot ? Answer is BARRA.

The barra head upstream for spawning and get stuck at the cause way, Thing is the crocs know this and wait for an easy feed.

At night i would reverse my Hilux up to the water and fish off the tray (safer).

I also was nearly taken by a croc a few years back fishing for barra at the waters edge, you would be supprised how blaza some locals can be.(including me!)
........................But thats another story for later !

Kev.

FollowupID: 12743

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:39

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:39
Hi Kev,

I've seen first hand how blaze some people can be. A picture featured in the NT Times a few years back showed people, including kids in up to their necks, swimming at Shady Camp with huge crocs only metres away! As you'd expect the accompanying story line went something like "NP & Wildlife Service call for people to use common sense"...

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 12744

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 18:18
But you never hear of a local being taken by a croc, why i dont know.

At the spot i was talking about i saw a guy up to his neck in the creek retreving fishing lures from the tree branches, and nothing happened.

Also seen Asian people throwing a cast nets all day for jelly prawns in waist deep water, and nothing happened.

Mayby they know something we don't !
FollowupID: 12769

Sponsored Links