Fuel Consumption for an HJ60 'Cruiser

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 17:46
ThreadID: 4832 Views:14064 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody else ever managed to get around 40mpg out of an HJ60?
OK, admittedly no off-roading was done however, we have just been from Portland (west of Lithgow in NSW) to Stockton near Newcastle and back. I fuelled up at Kurrajong Heights on the way there and discovered I had been getting 27.39mpg (10.31ltrs/100klms). From there to Stockton I got 32.21mpg (8.77ltrs/100klms). On the return jouney today, at least between Stockton and Kurrajong Heights, I clocked 40.14mpg (7.04ltrs/100klms).
I estimate that the tripmeter is overeading by approximately 5%. But, even so, this would still mean 26.02, 30.6 and 38.13mpg respectively. I am astounded considering it is a 4.0litre six - diesel or not!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JohnH - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:54

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:54
It depends how you are driving it I suppose. I had a diesel troopy and when I sat on 80kmph the economy was out of this world, however, I have found that the more the kids complain the worse the fuel economy. I don't suppose you have this problem with your economy. I now have a 6.5lt TD suburban and I am managing 19.8 per 100km around town. As you can see your economy is great but I would be interested to know your town figures and your cruising speeds on the highway. My old man always brags about the time he got 22mpg out of his 5.8 Fairlane back in the late 70's, he say's it must have been tuneed just right for that trip. Anyway, the figures sound great, not everyone will believe you probably but your the one who is getting these figures so who's to say otherwise. Anyway Beach, I know I haven't answared your question but I'm sure somebody will. Let me know about the speeds etc.

All the best.John H
AnswerID: 19613

Follow Up By: Beach - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 10:04

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 10:04
Gidday John!
In truth the most city, or 'around town' driving I have done was shortly after we bought it back in March. At that time we went for our first holiday in four years after my band had performed at the Canberra Blues'n'Rock Festival when we continued onto East Gippsland and then after spending a week there went over and spent another week in Melbourne itself.

The figures are as follows:
Mar. 16 - Portland NSW-Goulburn NSW (via Taralga)-Canberra-Goulburn: 430.3klms @ 25.45mpg
Mar. 18 - Goulburn NSW-Cann River VIC (via Monaro & Cann Valley Hwys plus local driving for two days): 440.4klms @ 24.32mpg
Mar. 26 - Cann River-Swan Reach VIC (via Princes Hwy plus local driving for seven days): 461.6klms @ 22.58mpg
Mar. 29 - Swan Reach-Williamstown (Melbourne) VIC (plus local city driving for three days): 445.3klms @ 25.72mpg
Apr. 4 - Williamstown-Coburg (Melbourne) VIC (all local city driving + one trip to Geelong): 512.4klms @ 24.51mpg
Apr. 4 - Coburg VIC-Holbrook NSW (via Hume Fwy/Hwy): 388.7klms @ 19.76mpg
Apr. 5 - Holbrook-Sth. Bowenfels (Lithgow) NSW (via Hume Hwy/Olympic Way/Great Western Hwy): 496.8klms @ 25.33mpg

I have the happy advantage of NOT living in Sydney and therefore NOT facing stop/start traffic all the time. Whenever I drive into Lithgow to go shopping, or whatever I have an approximately 26klm highway run along country roads and the GWH in 100k/hr speed zones and, consequently, my overall average to date has been 24.92mpg over a total distance of 6400klms. I have a dog that tends to do the same thing your kids do however! That's probably why I don't get 40mpg ALL the time.
The only thing that I can put it down to is driving style I suppose. By that I mean I attempt to drive for smoothness as much as possible rather than getting away first off the line, or whatever. I also tend to use a decent fuel additive about every third, or fourth tankfull. A thing that I was told by an ex-cop that I met when was an owner/driver courier about 15 years ago in Sydney.
Funny you should mention your dad and the 5.8 Fairlane! We actually traded a 1981 ZJ 5.8 Cleveland in on the 'Cruiser back in March. I had paid a local bloke $500 for it back in March 2001 and, although the odo never worked, I estimate that we used to continually get around 17-19mpg out of it locally. Once again though, by rarely ever 'planting the boot'.
I was interested to see the figures for your Suburban - I have often wondered how the TD v8s were on fuel.

Take care mate,
Beach (Rod Jeffery)
FollowupID: 12459

Follow Up By: Beach - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 10:09

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 10:09
Sorry John! I forgot to mention the speeds.
The trip back from Newcastle/Stockton was mainly at speeds in between 60 and 90. I was travelling between Central Mangrove near Gosford and Wisemans Ferry and, although there is a posted speed limit of 80 on that particular road, I don't happen to think it safe to do any more than 60-70 along there. As it was, I had to go grass-cutting on several occasions in both directions with idiots cutting corners.
FollowupID: 12460

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:22

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:22
Beach I think you're dreaming!! Just for starters you're quoting distances in kilometres and consumption in miles per gallon. I think this alone casts real doubts on your mathematical prowess!! But if you're happy thinking your consumption is great then I guess that's OK - except that others are probably wondering why they can't get 40mpg from a six cylinder 4wd. My grandma used to get 42mpg from her mini minor going to church on Sundays!!
AnswerID: 19676

Follow Up By: Beach - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 13:12

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 13:12
Mick,
Your sheer rudeness about my mathematical prowess proves you to be a fool!
I am quoting, if you cared to take notice, fuel consumption both in litres/100klms and in miles per gallon. Mathematical prowess has little to do with it - it is a simple mathematical equation to convert from one to the other. I am 51 and my preference is for miles per gallon and I, therefore, convert to miles per gallon.
Divide distance travelled by litres used, multiply answer by 4.545 to achieve kilometres per gallon, multiply answer by 0.6214 to achieve miles per gallon. Go back to school!
Some years back when the first '75 Series' Troopy came out a motoring publication, either 'MODERN MOTOR' or 'WHEELS', and not a 4WD publication put one to the test and drove from Sydney to just outside of Melbourne via the Pacific & Princes Highways (a distance in excess of 1000klms at that time) and ran out of fuel just short of the city centre. The vehicle was NOT fitted with the optional 'long-range' tank!
FollowupID: 12469

Follow Up By: Mick - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:33

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:33
Dream on Beach. The Australian Way is to be honest and humble!! You are neither .... but maybe you're just doing this to see how many people you can wind up!! If so I guess I've taken the bait. Tell us about your fishing expeditions next please.
FollowupID: 12523

Reply By: mike - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:01

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:01
I am driving a 1982 HJ60 Landcruiser. It is in original condition except for the fitment of a Fairy Overdrive . It has 375000 K on the clock.
Four years ago my wife and I returned from an 83000 K trip around Australia. We were on the road for 32 months. We were towing a 16 Foot Pop Top caravan.
Fuel consumption for the total trip averaged a fraction over nine (9) kilometres per litre. (about 11 Litres per 100 K). At this time, driving around Brisbane without the caravan I attain the same figures, but on a long trip, say, to Rockhampton without the caravan ...the consumption drops to somewhere between 10 and 11 K per Litre (9\10 litres per 100K).

Sooner or later I am going to have to upgrade this aging 4WD. I wish the newer models were able to attain anything like the old reliable HJ60......\\
AnswerID: 19687

Follow Up By: Beach - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:31

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:31
I'm glad to hear that someone else IS achieving the sort of fuel figures I am mike! As I attempted to explain to our companion earlier, I tend to work with mpg because I relate better to that when figuring out fuel figures.
11litres per 100klms is roughly equivalent to 26mpg.
10litres per 100klms is roughly equivalent to 28mpg
9litres per 100klms is roughly equivalent to 31mpg.
On Saturday - May 10 - coming back from Newcastle I travelled 246.9klms (according to the tripmeter) and the vehicle took $15.10 worth of diesel @ 86.9¢/ltr (17.38litres).
In my books that equates to 7.04l/100klms (40.07mpg).
The only other vehicle that i have ever owned that has given me that sort of mileage per was a 1981 2.0litre Sigma Station Wagon. And over the same stretch of road!
The 'HJ60' is a 1986 'Deluxe' with a 5-speed manual box and is stock apart from the wheels and tyres (31x10.50/15LT KUMHO 822 Powerguards) that were on it when I bought it.
FollowupID: 12486

Follow Up By: Dargo Mathews - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:57

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:57
Thankfully the banks and Australian Tax Office mathematics are not as bad as your conversions
FollowupID: 12488

Reply By: Bob - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:43

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:43
Beach you certainly must have some very special skills. How ever do you do it? Those figures are absolutely amazing. I think you must be the best driver and you are so meticulous with your record keeping. You must be very very proud of your fine achievements. Perhaps you could tell us all how you get 40mpg out of a diesel cruiser. I have many friends and acquaintances in our 4wd club and we usually get around 22mpg so you are truly a remarkable driver or you have a truly remarkable vehicle to achieve nearly double the figure achieved by so many experienced and skilful drivers. Please share your secrets with us! This forum is not just for telling people of your fine achievements, but rather to educate those of lesser ability. I look forward to your explanation.
AnswerID: 19711

Follow Up By: Beach - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 10:45

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 10:45
OK Bob, I'll bite! The most 4WDing I have ever done was in my old 4Runner when we took a little drive around through 'Blackfella's Hand'(?) near Lithgow back in 1994.
We only recently (March 5, 2003) purchased the HJ60. We did NOT buy it to either go across the Simpson, up the Birdsville Track, do the Canning Stock Route or any of the many other wondrous little trips you and your ilk go on and tell us about. Apart from anything else, I simply don't have the skill to even attempt such feats.
We have had a series of absolutely bleep house vehicles pass through our hands since the 4Runner was written off during a blizzard near Mt. Lambie in July 1994 while we were returning from a gig my band had played earlier at Bathurst.
These have ranged from a Ford XC V8 panel van that dropped the front end at Blayney on the return trip from Wangaratta, a 245DL Volvo wagon that spun the transmission around while reversing at Blackheath and had to be towed home to Portland, a Sigma wagon that took us to East Gippsland, through to Melbourne and back before dropping its oil pump and sounding like a chainsaw hitting a steel pylon and finally the 5.8ltr Fairlane that was the best of the bunch and much loved but was just downright 'out-of-date' when it comes to the fact that 'Lead Replacement' Petrol is only here for a limited time. That plus the fact that last time we went to Sydney in it (160klms) the fuel cost one-way was $75.
My reason for buying the HJ60 was that I wanted a vehicle that would last damn near forever if properly maintained, would have enough room to fit me behind the steering wheel (I weigh 157kg), would be comfortable for my wife and myself as well as our two dogs and would return reasonable fuel economy. I very nearly bought an 84 Pajero 2.5TD. But that fell through! Our funds were extremely limited and I found the 'Cruiser on the Windsor Toyota website and decided to check it out.
They offered me a really good trade-in price for the Ford, the 'Cruiser appeared to be in very good nick and only had 301000klms on the odo. I expected, after reading some few bits and pieces on this site, that I would get around 22mpg (on road) and was happy with that.
This will likely be the last vehicle that I ever own and it was important that I get something that would be strong, reasonably economical and last.
If you want to ' bleep -take', then go ahead!
I was under the impression, initially at least, that this 'forum' was for lesser human beings to ask questions of the 'mighty' like yourself and everyone else that seems to be unable to get it through their heads that I may have done what I said. Flook or NOT!
On the way to Stockton I filled the vehicle at the same service station at Kurrajong Heights as I did on the way back. On that occasion it took 23.84litres of fuel for a distance travelled of 231.1klms. On the return trip - same pump, same service station - it took 17.38litres of fuel for a distance travelled of 246.9klms. NO air locks! I do the fill myself and always let the fuel settle - always have - and it is also an extremely slow filler pump.
Since the days when I was a courier, I have always included a bottle of fuel additive about every third fill, had the fuel filter and the oil filter replaced each alternative 10,000klm service. On the road, I never let the engine load up but, neither do I drive in a lower gear than I need to.
I never buy fuel just because it is cheap either. bleep fuel will stuff any engine. A fact I very nearly learned with disastrous results while a courier.
Recently, while returning from Melbourne, I did get less than 20mpg. On that occasion I did push it and was sitting on what the speedometer indicated as 120k/hr for most of the distance from Melbourne to Holbrook in NSW. Here endeth the lesson!
FollowupID: 12539

Reply By: Dozer - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 00:05

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 00:05
Hi Guys
Best out of my 88 hj60 with turbo and fairley overdrive was 10km/l-28mpg at 100km/hr. Once the o/d bleep itself, i was back to 7-8km/l
at thesame speed. You are consistantly getting round these figures, maybe the 40 was an air pocket or large litres.
Dont touch it-keep driving.
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 19713

Reply By: Beach - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 08:51

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 08:51
As a matter of fact, I have kept fairly meticulous records of fuel consumption over the years for damn nearly ever vehicle that i have ever driven. The only vehicle that I didn't was the Fairlane because the odo and the trip just didn't work. Consequently, I ran out of juice with the guage registering a little under half-full about 3klms (roughly) from home about six months ago.
This is the first vehicle I have owned in nearly ten years that has had a reasonably accurate, fuel guage as well. The other was a 1984 2.4litre Diesel 4Runner back in 1993/1994. When I first got that (on road) it only returned 19-20mpg (7-8klms per litre or 14-14.5l/100klm). Within a week I had IT up to 28mpg.
I DO keep accurate fuel records because it also makes it a lot easier when you want to know if you are going to have enough money to get to where you are going. And it's easily done if you set up a spreadsheet to make the calculations for you).
As far as driving ability, no secret! It's not a damn sports car - don't treat it like one!
AnswerID: 19722

Reply By: andy - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:32

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:32
Hi Beach, I believe your fuel consumption figures. I have owned 5 2H diesels between 1985-1990 and have experienced a wide range of figures. I also keep track of these out of interest. I have owned troopies, utes and a 60 series wagon. The answers to getting great economy is simple. The first obvious answer is to drive conservitively however there is another contributing factor. The fuel pumps are very adjustable. The 2H has a lot of timing and fuel adjustability. I had a troopy that used to be able to spin the wheels off the line in 1st and on the change to second on the tar however the fuel economy was really bad. I had another troopy set up exactly the same that could not spin the wheels on the sand however the fuel economy in the city was a steady 33 mpg. The answer is totally in the setting of the fuel pump. Adjusting it one way gives mega power and the other way gives it mega economy. In the middle is a bit of both or a compromise. I had a HJ61 factory Turbo 5 speed with 365,000 kms that was getting 32 mpg city or country loaded or unloaded. My brother still has the car now and has over 420,000 on the clock and gets 900 kms out of a 90 litre tank all the time. I can tell your disbelieving readers that it is possible to get this milage out of a conservatively driven and tuned 2H 60 series. I wish I was getting the same out of my 3 litre Hilux. If anyone wants the best milage from a 60 series take it to a diesel mechanic (who knows the 2H) with a dyno and let them set it up properly. Andy

AnswerID: 19743

Follow Up By: Beach - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 15:06

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 15:06
Thanks Andy! I really appreciate the comments and only hope the 'critics' are listening.
Where a higher gear can be engaged, I do! Where a lower gear is needed I change down.
I am absolutely astounded at the number of people who insist on driving in a lower gear than is required and have experienced this phenomenon frequently when I have allowed others to drive my own vehicles. They just do not want to change up!
I must admit that I didn't have a clue about the fuel pump adjustability and will look into it.
FollowupID: 12555

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:32

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:32
Andy try reading carefully (or even conservatively) and you'll find that Beach claimed 40mpg .... yet you back him up saying that you get 32!!! There's a BIG difference between yours and his!!!!!
FollowupID: 12784

Follow Up By: Beach - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:41

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:41
Grow up Mick! The 40mpg was more than likely a 'oncer' and I DO regularly get figures in the high twenties.
The trip to Newcastle was the first time that I had ever got more than 30 and that astounded ME! I approached this forum to ask a question originally and all I got was abuse from yourself and a couple of your mates.
If you were typical of the 4WD community at large, then I wouldn't even want the association/connection with you lot by the mere fact of owning a 4WD. You and your like give them a bad name that they don't deserve!
You called into question my trustworthiness, my humility and my ability to use simple maths! You quite obviously don't have to worry about money. If you did, then like me you'd want to keep an eye on every penny (Sorry, cent! - I forgot that you don't understand pre-metric!) that comes in and goes out.
I DON'T lie! I do know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide! As for the humility - I'll leave that to people who know me.
FollowupID: 12830

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:50

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:50
I only dream of getting that fuel economy... but i am pushing this big brute about..... I also dream of getting diesel costing down somewhere inthe 80s phew!Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 19829

Sponsored Links