4WD's & Tents

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:34
ThreadID: 4833 Views:2139 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Talking about tents today in an earlier post & Michelle (EOz) aluded to the fact that they get a little tired of wacking up the tent everday whilst travelling. I agree. Driving all day then throwing up the tent for a one night stand, day after day is not pleasurable. We (she who must be obeyed & suspect navigator) now try to reach a suitable campsite late in the arvo, get an early night (if there's no parties) then spend the rest of the next day exploring the area where we are camped then move on the following morning rested and relaxed and felling that we have just not passed through, ie two nights one day. If its a great area (plenty of fish etc) we might stay another night. You have to get the feeling/atmosphere of where you are & every camp is different.
Once came across a chap in the Warrumbungles who said he only ever travelled as far as a tank of fuel in one week. That sounds relaxing.
SURVEY: I'm interested to know how many travellers actually travell every day to a new camp site ie. on the road every day. And do you pitch a tent or throw down a swag.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: basecamp15 - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:05

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:05
I live in FNQ and it's too hot to use a tent up here I reckon. We use a mozzie dome and it erects almost instantly. If no rain is around this is the way to go, nice cool breezes and no sandflies etc. Having said that, we don't generally do a one night camp anyway. Our trips are planned so that we spend several nights in the one area as we already know it's a good place.
AnswerID: 19616

Reply By: Member - Pedro (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:18

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:18
Don't like being on the road after 4pm. That gives plenty of time for relaxed set-up of tent/poptop or what ever. A few coldies and a very relaxed evening meal. (No set-up in the dark). Enjoy where you are for a day or so, or move on the next day.Let it never end!
AnswerID: 19619

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:31

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:31
Cocka,
I'm with you, we tried this camp for one night and move on the next day, given it away now, We stay at least two nights and do a day of discovery we found you tend to miss a lot of the reason for going away in the first place, relax and enjoy ourselves. Plan to be somewhere by 16:00 hrs and no later time to set p the camper trailer and have a couple of beers. The last trip we went on we did a "pin the tail on the donkey approach", it worked a treat and we went to places we wouldn't normally of thought to go to.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 19628

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:01

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:01
Gidday Cocka, I love the swag option when I'm by myself but when the wife and kid comes along they like the security of a tent - I found this out especially when I went to cape York last year, if we had swags I would of got no sleep, wife always saying what was that - thought it was a croc or so - anyway one night shun the torch out the tent opening and a Bandicoot ran straight into the torch and my face scraed the crap out of me - should have seen my wife's response LOL. Our tent is one of those 30second tents - they go up and pack down quick but they are heavy and take up a lot of room. The fly screen idea is good and I would combine it with a fly just in case it rains and can also provide the added privacy or security. Swags are great you can sit on they by the fire and also drink and watch others set their tents up, roll the swag out and sleep and then wake up and roll it up and your packed virtually. You can also get double swags and also ones with the fly screens etc. They take up a bit of room but I was thinking about replacing my swag mattress for one of those self inflating mattresses - will make it roll a lot smaller. You can also store a few clothes in the swag and your tooth brush etc depends how rough you want to go.
Number of nights - going to Cape York was usually just an overnighter but we planned to set up around 2pm or so to give us some relax and exploration time; Punsund bay spent a week there; 2 days at Chilli Beach and also Weipa mainly to get some supplies.Well if you have room for swags and a tent I think that would be the go - the mattress of the swag is the big draw back - I'm about to buy a self inflating one so I will see what size the swag compacts down to.
AnswerID: 19631

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:39

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:39
I use a carabee jumbo self inflating mattress in my duoble swag fold fairly small and is more comfy than bed at home.
BobWish i was still here / Gulf in July
FollowupID: 12435

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:41

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:41
Beddo, The difficulty of rolling up the self inflating matress inside a swag is getting all the air out to make it compact. To save space, you really need to roll the self inflating mattress up seperately.
cya
AlpacaAlpaca
FollowupID: 12436

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 23:58

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 23:58
Thanks for the replies - thought I would possibly roll it first as suggested then roll the swag around it, Thanks JeffCheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 19652

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 14:40

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 14:40
Beddo exact measurements 1100X450 just checked as it is in back of patrol at moment could be made smaller but i just rolled it once as in to lazy to do again.Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
FollowupID: 12470

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:28

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:28
Hi Beddo. I might have a look at these swags but would have to have a therma-rest in or under it.
When are you taking off ??
We are not getting away until sometime in July, got to wait for our daughter to have our first grandchild but I'll be packed and ready to go. Then "Yeeeah haaa" I'll be off.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 12506

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:26

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:26
Swags are great - I always take them when I go to bushfires - you never know where you will end up. Heading to Kimberleys around the 30th June - Lawn Hill first then we will meet up with some friends to head further west. Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
FollowupID: 12522

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:39

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:39
Hi Cocka,

We tend to do touring type holidays spending max 3 nights in one spot. Luv to have more time to stay in some places and relax but work commitments mean we can't afford the time. Choice is short stopovers and see more new places or long stopovers and see less places.

Anyway, we graduated from a tent to campertrailer several years ago and haven't looked back. For touring, the ease of set-up of our camper is fantastic. 5 min max with everything at our fingertips. Still trying to get pack-up time under 30 minutes though...

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 19905

Sponsored Links