Shark Bay to Steep Point

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:52
ThreadID: 4852 Views:2461 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This trip is well worth it for bush campers. The bay @ Steep Point is such a magical spot for fishing and swimming. We aslo enjoyed the trip to the blowholes, although the tail end of the trak is rocky.

A couple of tips for anybody who hasn't previously been on this trak: 1) lower tyre pressure to 25psi to soften the impact of the road corrugation from the Denham road turn-off to the Steep Point T-junction, then drop it down to 18-20psi for the remainder; 2) take lots of mosquito protectant, as they swarmed on us both in the morning and evening; 3) Fisheries WA officers were "sharp" on the fishing catches for undersized fish; 4) be prepared for the wind to pick up in the evening, and last until the morning.

Trip time was 23rd April 2003 through to 26th April 2003.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:07

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:07
Andy

Agree that this is a magic part of Australia. Did the Steep Point trip as a rather long day trip from Denham a couple of years ago. Recall seeing signs like ' I will fine you $50 for every PSI you are over 18psi per tyre' posted by the local caretaker on the sandy tracks. Not sure if the blowholes are fenced or better signposted now but when I was there, I was right on top of one just as it blew before I knew where it was. The ground appeared to be peppered with small holes underfoot through which air whistled through as she blew. I moved considerable distance back after that.

Steep Point doesn't seem to get many mentions considering its geographical significance. Well worth the trip though.
AnswerID: 19745

Follow Up By: Andy Robert (WA) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:08

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:08
Rod,

The signs are still there, but nobody checked up on the vehicles going in to Steep Point. Maybe they had the week off!!!!!

The blowholes, again, haven't changed. Have to be careful when looking down them. But we found it really eeerrry when the air is sucked thru the little holes and cracks.

Andy
FollowupID: 12839

Reply By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:57

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:57
Absolutly briliant spot was there last June and got 3 days of rain, we got the midgees at Frances Peron Nat park in stead so I gues they like to travel as well!!!!Around Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 19832

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:30

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:30
We did Steep Point about 5 years ago in a SWB cruiser. The corregations from the t/o at the main road to the barrage were the worst we've ever seen anywhere. Took me a week to find teeth afterwards and my backside was numb for at least as long but what a FNATASTIC trip! Can't wait to go back.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 19902

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 19:49

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 19:49
Great to see ya back Melissa, thought you did a runner.

How was the Holand Track?Around Oz 06/2004
FollowupID: 12680

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 21:31

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 21:31
Hi Rox,

Thanks for the welcome back. Been popping in now and again but been extremely busy with houseguests, hubby's surprize 40th birthday party, starting the WA campertrailer list,our Easter trip. Oh yeah, and work too :(((

Holland Track was great. Took 4 days from Broomehill to Coolgardie and enjoyed some great camping and scenery and a bit of history. Spent a couple of nights in Kalgoorlie then went up to Lake Ballard to check out the statues which were well worth the trip. Back to Coolgardie then straight onto the Cave Hill woodlines. Really enjoyed this section particularly Cave Hill which I'm predicting will become one of WA's major natural attractions once the 2WD access goes through in the next few months. Had 11 days all up.

Didn't feel like coming home that's for sure!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 12697

Sponsored Links