Barry Caves Roadhouse NT did it exist?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 10, 2007 at 22:39
ThreadID: 48602 Views:11141 Replies:11 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone remember a roadhouse on the Barkly Highway NT called Barry Caves. I first travelled though there back in December 1982 & stopped off to get fuel. Spent the whole day there waiting for the bowsers to be fixed. Something to do with evaporation?
Turned out that it happened regularly apparently to keep travellers there to spend more cash. I have been through there a few times since but there is no longer any sign of the place and searches on the web don't show anything either. Maybe I dreamt about it. Has anyone else been there or remember the place? Or even have some photos. I need to prove to myself this place really did exist! Ha !
Just something that has been bugging me for 25 years now!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Friday, Aug 10, 2007 at 23:34

Friday, Aug 10, 2007 at 23:34
Was at the time the dearest petrol in Aus. Gladly it went at the same time as the dirt section there went.
AnswerID: 256783

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:17

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:17
Hi Oldsquizzy, From what I can remember, it was not just the fuel that was expensive..... I think he was trying to cash in on everything. But back then you didn't have much choice. We did the same trip once again about a month ago & it seemed so easy compared to back then. Thanks for you reply.
FollowupID: 517888

Reply By: Member - Peter H (WA) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 00:25

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 00:25
Now that's a name I haven't heard of for years. We stayed at Barry Caves back in 1974 on our way from Darwin to Sydney in our old Renault 10. The motel looked like caves....no windows lol. The motor in the Renault gave up in Morven Qld. So its gone now hey. I'm not surprised. You would be buggered staying there if you had claustrophobia.

Peter
AnswerID: 256786

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:20

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:20
Peter,
Glad I didn't stay overnight then. I ended up buying a jerrycan of fuel from another vehicle & got on my way after being stuck there all day. How times have changed!
FollowupID: 517889

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 14:51

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 14:51
Can you please advise approximately where this Barry Caves was located?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 517911

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 07:48

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 07:48
I had a few meals and drinks there in the early 80s , also Frewena was another popular stopping place , Both were demolished and the history went with them when Barkly Homestead opened,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 256793

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 08:04

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 08:04
PMK
I must share this story with you, 1981 I was driving a Roadtrain Car Carrier Brisbane / Darwin, Left Barry Caves late one night and about 10ks west I could see a shape on the road , slowed down and stopped , was an F100 ...just stopped in the middle of the road,no lights on, driver slumped over the steering wheel, .....You ok mate...i said tapping on the door, he rouses and says y..e..h ...where am I , I told him where he was in relation to Barry caves , he said he was going to McMahons Roadwork camp , I told him ..mate your going the wrong way it's about 20k back the other side of Barry Caves, he just moaned and groaned so I suggested he move off the road and continue the sleep/Hangover of which he did ,I then got going , A wonderful world the Territory but So much for Driving under the influence
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 256794

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:28

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:28
Hi Doug,
At the time I first went through Frewena was already gone, although it was still marked on my maps. I'll bet you wont find any mention of either of them on the newer maps now. The character of those places is what I remember....... Something's not the same about these trips today. But stories like your "sleepy driver" should be told to keep the history of these places alive.
Thanks for the memories!
FollowupID: 517890

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:11

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:11
PMK
Another 2 Quickies for Frewena, was having a meal there one night and the generator went off, so they lit candles , then the bloody Christmas Beetles started dropping onto the plate , All you could do was flick em out with the knife and keep eating,

Oh yeh then there was the Dwarf called Lofty that was the gardener,he wore a huge cowboy hat, someone upset him one night and he up onto a chair and dropped the bloke before he knew what hit him,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 517900

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:31

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:31
Gday
Well yes, i stayed at Barry's Caves in 1968 on my second trip to Darwin.
I was on a motor bike at the time and the fuel price didn't bother me much so i booked a" motel room" for the night. One had to be drunk to stay so i did help the economy a little and made for a hard ride the next day.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 256797

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:24

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:24
PMK,

Worked in that area through mid-60's & 70's and Barry Caves was as large as life then. The owner was Fred ???, and he had a wooden leg. Rough as guts, just like the place. Never got fuel there, but rarely drove away sober either!

During the '74 wet when the whole of the Barkly area, in fact all of NT & Qld was under water, Barry Caves hit the national news when it was reported that they'd run out of tucker and were eating dogs. Whether this was true, I don't know, but it made the Caves infamous for a few weeks. Not much sign of the place now, but a few clicks east of there, there are some caves in a dome-shaped hill, about 500M south of the highway. Used to be a road in there, but didn't notice a turn-off last year.

Frewena was a great place too, bit more class then the Caves, and a good place to invest some hard earned wages.

All gone, but that's progress???

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 256802

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 16:56

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 16:56
Bob,

Thanks for the info, the place is a liitle more known of than I expected. The name Fred does ring a bell although it was a long time ago & I can't be sure.
The track out to the caves is still there. We went past it in July this year. Had a quick look on previous trips, but I wouldn't say it was worth the stop.
This is good, we are starting to paint a picture of what the place was really like..... Thanks you are prompting my memory.
PMK
FollowupID: 517919

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 20:28

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 20:28
PMK,

Another time I was there, the old fellar conned some blokes to unload a D9 off their float, for a carton of beer, and fill in, or tidy up a mess that was the remains of a burnt-down building. They were scratching around when I left, but always wondered if they got their carton.

Beer was about $8-$10 a carton then, and D9 hourly rate would have been heaps dearer than that!

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 517954

Reply By: jim wb - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 12:41

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 12:41
What an icon was Barry Caves.First watering hole out of Cammoweal. You just had to stop there. Then on to Freewena, where accomadation was a hoot.Tea chest for bedside tables, corrogated iron walls to 10 inches off the ground. That was the Outback. now killed off by the Barkley Roadhouse.One had to see it to believe it. Many a good yarn came out of both. We worked on a property up the Beef Road,and these were our nearest for a drinks.
AnswerID: 256808

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 13:25

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 13:25
January 1978 pulled into Frewena on my way to Darwin ,(posted there in the Army) travelling with another couple who had their dog with them. Walked into the bar to be greeted with "get the bloody dog out of here can't you read the f..king sign" but the big thing was the place smelled like a zoo (will not elaborate on that might get me locked up). so we walked out side to drink our beer and the girls had been for a walk and said there was a swimming pool out the back so I went in to the bar to ask if it was ok to have a swim, January in the NT need to cool off, anyway the guy behind the bar said and I tell you no liars, "I AM THE ONLY ONE HERE SO NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO USE THE POOL AS WE HAVE TO HAVE A LIFE SAVER PRESENT" we all just walked out hopped in our trucks and drove off don't think anyone spoke for 5 minutes.
Cheers Bruce.
Have another good story about this trip I must tell you all sometime.
AnswerID: 256810

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:05

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:05
Hi Bruce & Anne,
Yep ! It's all coming back to me now, although I must say I do miss these types of outback experiences nowadays. It's getting all too easy now.
PMK
FollowupID: 517924

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:33

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:33
Good thinking PMK putting this thread up, as I said I have another good story about the people I was with when we pulled in to Frewena. Might start another thread sometime heading "Most unusual thing you have seen on an out back trip".
Cheers Bruce.
FollowupID: 517927

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:44

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:44
Bruce & Anne,

Yep, Its nice to have a topic that prompts your memories.......
Your idea sounds good.... I watch out for unsual stories.
I still have a couple more questions up my sleeve about "older times" myself. You will just have to wait & see.
PMK
FollowupID: 517928

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 20:22

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 20:22
Bruce & Annne,

Freweena used to have a sign inside the bar, this is back in mid-60's, that said "In case of fire, lift flap".Well, I wasn't gullible(at that time) to do this, so was delighted when some time later, a tourist came in and did this.

Under the flap was written: "Not now, Stupid, in case of fire" The sign was in a position where everyone could see if you made a fool of yourself.

Another time we were camped about 20 clicks north @ No.7 Bore. I was included in a foray, with 3 or 4 other blokes, onto Alroy downs to attempt to bring back a bull who had jumped the fence. We found the bull, who proved to in a mood that wasn't too congenial, and he was left there. One bloke, Mick Hay, got off on foot with a hobble chain, to intice the angry gent to vacant his position, but after a roll in the sand, we left the bull, and went across to Freweena, only a few K's away.

Spent an hour or so there, and came away loaded with chocolates, lollies and some beautiful Granny Smith apples. Tied up the sleeves in a cardigan, to cart all this loot back to camp. S'pose we tied the horses out the back of the roadhouse, don't really remember that part.

Bloody hell, I was only 18 then.

hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 517950

Reply By: George (NT) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 16:47

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 16:47
Barry Caves -- remember it well ! I stopped there in the late seventies (roughly 76/77) with backpackers I had picked up. I pulled into the roadhouse in my mini moke and fuelled up at the only unlocked bowser. As I finished fuelling an attendant wandered out and promptly informed me I had filled my car with water!! He then said I had to pay for the water/petrol!
An argument then ensued whereas he said he had had to pay for the water and so I had to pay up ---- the backpacker finally paid for the water!!
I was so p----- off , I just drove off with water still in the fuel tank.
Luckily the moke has an SU carburetter so we were able to drive on with a few coughs and splutters until we fuelled up elsewhere!!
The reason for his locking the fuel bowers was obvious as he intended the unsuspecting traveller to drop his tank of water/fuel and fill up with petrol , causing the traveller to pay twice!!
Oh for the good old days in the outback!

AnswerID: 256829

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:01

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:01
George,
Sounds like a very similar experience to mine, The guy was obviously trying to make as much as possible out of the traveller.

PMK
FollowupID: 517922

Follow Up By: PMK - Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:02

Saturday, Aug 11, 2007 at 17:02
George,
Sounds like a very similar experience to mine, The guy was obviously trying to make as much as possible out of the traveller.

PMK
FollowupID: 517923

Reply By: peterll - Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 00:10

Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 00:10
Gee that sure is going back a few years.

I seem to recall it (Freweena) was about 65 km west of where the roadhouse is today.

For some reason I think I have seen a sort of sign pointing to an Aboriginal community setback about a km or so on the right heading toward Three Ways just before the turn off to Rockhampton Downs

This thread sure has the old brain matter wandering back in time.

Peterll
AnswerID: 256885

Reply By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 09:20

Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 09:20
I'm sure my mother have a slide (remember them?) of the Barry Caves roadhouse, she lives in a different state to me (in more ways than one!) but next time I visit, I'll see if I can dig it out. I went there with her in 1980...
AnswerID: 256905

Follow Up By: PMK - Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 09:39

Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 09:39
Hi Richard,
Some pics would be good, I have recieved a lot of stoies about the place which have described it as I remember, but to actually see a photo would be great. I am about to post a new entry on this subject with a map showing Barry Caves & Frewena's locations & some photos of the actual caves themselves. Once I can figure out how to do it.
PMK
FollowupID: 518023

Sponsored Links