Jackaroo/Rodeo turbo diesel in Kimberley

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2003 at 16:48
ThreadID: 4866 Views:1740 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm interested to hear from anyone who lives or travels in the northwest of WA as to whether there are many turbo diesel jackaroo's (or rodeo's) up that way. I am am considering buying a 99 jackaroo TD before I leave perth and head up that way to live for 12 months or more. I am guessing the big two acount for most vehicles up there but I'm interested if many people use the general's product, how they perform, how they last, and is their much service and support for them up there?

Thanks for any help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:19

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:19
Gee, you want a lot of info (no offence)
You might be better asking the locals up that way, I'm guessing most of us here are tourists but there may also be some locals listening here.
About a week ago there was a post about a 4WD service centre in Broom, can't remember the name (something Chineseish I think) somebody remind me please, they gave then a big wrap. Locals like them will tell you what everybody owns and how they perform.
If you want more names to broaden your enquiry do a Google search of the towns Tourist Info centres and ask them the names of local 4WD repair centres. Hope the idea helps.
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19778

Reply By: Billy - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 21:53

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 21:53
I can answer some of your question, having owned a Jackaroo. I can't say about NW WA, but I found in the centre, the further out you go, the more Jackaroo's.

All in all they have a great reputation and I found mine to be a very high quality vehicle and a lot tougher than it looks. The performance and economy is right up there. Being underrated they make a great used buy.

The early ones had a starting problem so they added another battery, this was before '99 I'm pretty sure. If you can stretch to the wide track version which I think came out in 2000 or so it would be better, the track was wider and they raised the ride height.

The following points are from my experience only:

If you are carrying any weight over rough stuff you will need to upgrade the springing, I put in polyair bags and cranked up the torsion bars and it made all the difference. The stock shocks are OK but only good for about 40K. Don't skimp on shocks, the torsion bar front end works them pretty hard and the back will step out if not well damped. For lighter loads or heavier ones on the blacktop the standard setup is fine.

If you go Auto, change the fluid every second oil change, particularly if you tow.

Get rid of the std Goodyears before they get you.

The only problems I ever had were with the dealer servicing (80/90 in the diff not 140, leaking "new" cam cover gasket, failure to change auto fluid which lead to an overheat while towing).

Regds

Bill

AnswerID: 19803

Reply By: Allyn - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:05

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:05
Cookie
It's not as primitive as you might think up here. We've even got TV & radio these days.
Seriously, Shinju Motors will take care of all your needs and there's bound to be others also. There is a dominance of Cruisers & Patrols but am sure there's a plentiful supply of Jacks, Pajeros etc. also.
The ration of 4WD to 2WD in Broome is not as high as elsewhere in the NW from my observations so any maintenance workshop is going to be pretty well switched on and well equipped I think.
AnswerID: 19805

Reply By: rads - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:20

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:20
Hi Cookie
Used to live in Halls Creek for a while. Servicing of all makes/models is hardly ever a problem.
Dad is onto his 2nd Jack, loves them. (TD definately the go over petrol)
AnswerID: 19845

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)