ultimate campers

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2003 at 20:03
ThreadID: 4869 Views:6555 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Dose anybody own an ultimate campervan and if so what do they think about the van, positive and negatives about the van would be appreciated we are looking at buying one. Ivan and Deb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:41

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:41
If you have the money i don't think you could go wrong but check out the yahoo groupsforum on camper trailers im sure at leats 25% of them have one from what i hear.
im so jealous .
try the link
or cut and paste in your browser and sign up its free(unpaid advert lol)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers

CHEERS1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 19819

Reply By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:40

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:40
some one just sold one on this site b4 easter in about 2 weeks. he should respond to you soon. Ps they look greatAround Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 19827

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:18

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:18
Hi

My wife and I pick up our Ultimate on Monday. Can't wait.

We did some extensive research into off road trailers before we settled on the Ultimate.

If money is not too much of an issue then all I can say is you pay for what you get.

The three front runners that we settled on were the Kimberly Camper, The Tvan and the Ultimate.

Each had there pros and cons. Weight, height, kitchen inside/outside.

In all Off road they are very similar in performance.

For us, the ultimate offered just a bit more in the options and comfort, but at a price!!!

All the top of the price range, eg $25K and up, are excellent quality.

Good luck in your choice.

Oh yeah the other downside to the Ultimate, a 6 month+ waiting list.

Cheers
AnswerID: 19844

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:31

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:31
Ivan and Deb, am I right to assume you don't have kids?

BTW, a recent 4x4 magazine (can't remember which one, can anyone else) ran a story comparing the Ultimate with the Kimberly.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19847

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 00:44

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 00:44
Ivan & Deb,

No, I'm not the poor bloke that wants to bag the rich people camper stuff but I've looked at them and would never buy one. In all honesty they're perfect for the DINKS (double income no kids) and those that can't hack a few days up on the mitchell plateau in a tent (location for example purposes) well, maybe they're from Fawlty Towers. Everyone's got their preferences but a Jayco camper trailer(offroad version) is all above aground, double beds at each end, kitchen/dining area. Alot more room and the best model, I think is the eagle or similar is about $20,000 new.
They will do any beach run compared to the 'ultimate' plus more luxury.
Here's a scenario; the ultimate will put up with more punishment from Derby to the Mitchell plateau and back. There's more wear and tear on the vehicle that's towing and for the sake of what? ie. I would park the caravan/campertrailer whatever at the Derby caravan park and do a short tour with a quick erect tent and save on the good old vehicle's health. If the Ultimate is the best offroad trailer on the market how often do you actually access areas that are more extreme than what any camper trailer can handle? I suppose somebody's been to the moon and back.
I mention these points as you seem to be targeting the easiest to set up type of camper trailers and after being to a few Camping & Caravanning shows, Jayco have convinced us over any other brands ie my personal needs are beach, large living areas, luxury and easiest setup - are probably 60 seconds longer than the ultimate vans. You may be critical but just take five to look at the Jayco offroad range and consider it. My wife's opinion without the price in front of her surprised me ie leaning towards the Jaycos. No folding stuff.
Regards
AnswerID: 19962

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:45

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:45
Chris, we have a custom-made campertrailer. Its not as flash as the Ultimate. It doesn't have the caravan style kitchen, it doesn't look like like a space capsule from the outside and it does take longer to set/pack up. However, it has considerably more space (we have 2 pre-teen kids) and cost us 1/3 the price.

Having gone to all the trouble to have it custom made, and made several enhancements since, we have decided that, when the kids don't want to come anymore (which will be sooner rather than later, I expect), we'll sell and move into a Jayco Off-road. Why? Because we met some folks with one during a 4 week trek through the high country in January. They let us crawl all over it and told us a lot about their personal experiences with it. They were 9 months into a 3 year journey around the country and the Jayco had already coped with the kind of off-roading that most campertrailer users would require. BTW, it still look "as new" and nothing was loose or rattled. It was slighlty bulkier than our trailer but only weighed in at 100Kgs more fully loaded. We were extremely impressed and given the choice of spending $30K on an Ultimate or $20K on the Jayco - well, we'll be having fun spending that extra $10k on the fourbie.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12754

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:08

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:08
The only thing I was worried about was if the cabinets in the Jayco could put up with the continual stress of corrugations, rocky tracks etc.
Just the appearance of the Ultimate makes it look as though it might put up with a bit more punishment - maybe just the image.
We'll buy one eventually....probably with my super money but I've come across heaps of 2nd hand ones that are starting to find their way into the readers marts. About two years ago an old bloke, oops, older bloke, bought one new, had done his australia tour and just wanted to get rid of it. It was one of the large Jayco campers with offroad suspension and only wanted $12,000 - under 18 months old. I would have grabbed it if the money god was kind to me.
Anyway, it's something we'll keep yearning for and yes........we WILL get one one day.
Regards.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 12789

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:22
Hi Ivan,

We're onto our 2nd off-road campertrailer so I've been around them for awhile. Also pretty active on various campertrailer forums. Got to admit I reckon $30K for an Ultimate (or any off-road campertrailer for that matter) is way up there.

BUT, a freind has an Ultimate (prior to that he had a Kimberely Kamper and a Jayco). After seeing it in the flesh I've got to admit it is pretty impressive but best suited to couples IMHO. As a family, we would not consider buying one.

We have a Camprite TL8 offroad camper which provides a double bed, 2 singles and interior living space all off the ground.Water tank, kitchen, storage etc etc are all standard and I reckon these are excellent value at under $19K on the road. You would look far and wide for a true family designed offroad camper that sleeps everyone off the ground (TrackShak only other one I can think of). Camprite's website is:
http://www.campritecampers.com.au

At the risk of stepping on some toes...re comments made above, I don't think you can compare a Jayco type off-road trailer with an Ultimate. The Ult is designed and built to go anywhere, Jayco's on the other hand are a soft offroad trailer...more of an "unsealed" road type. This is fine if you don't mind leaving it behind and tenting in more challenging regions. Personally, if I'm gonna pay $20K+ for an off-road camper, then I expect it to be just that.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 20044

Reply By: Member - Ivan - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 06:59

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 06:59
Hi Melissa
Thanks for your feedback, we'd love to here back from you regarding your freinds ultimate camper when you get more imformation. We are only new to the game, but threw experience I'v learned you get what you pay for and if it means a bit more time and cash to get the better van so be it , we'd rather do it right the first time.
AnswerID: 20277

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 11:55

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 11:55
Hi Ivan,

Their are a few Ultimate owners on the following group, including my freind. I suggest you drop in and ask about the Ultimates there, that way you'll be able to get some first hand feedback from the owners themselves.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa_campertrailers

Don't worry about the WA thing, members are from all over. Also, you'll probably find the other topics that come up related to campertrailers quite interesting.

See you there.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 13084

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 07:45

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 07:45
Had the Ultimate for just over a week now and just returned from the pickup trip and a little test run down south.

The camper is the "Ultimate" It's better than advertised. If you have the cash to spare and you want a off road camper, this is the machine. So easy to tow set up and use you would not belive.

I caught up with a mate who has just bought a Kimberly and we spent the last two days together in Jervis Bay. Itbleepdown rain on the Sunday. We stayed completely dry, but old mate in the Kimberly was soaked. When it cam time to pack up, we were on the road in less than 1/2 and hour and that was from breaking camp with all the canvas out, underben annex, awning and sunroom. My mate in the Kimberly was only half done at this stage and all he had out was the camper and the large annex.

The Team at ulimate are top class they love their product and at the end of the day, you feel like part of the Ultimate family.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you you pay for. Well the Ultimate camper is definitely top class.

Up the Cape in 10 days. Can't wait. ;)
AnswerID: 21359

Sponsored Links