GU Patrol Snorkel

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:27
ThreadID: 4878 Views:4769 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have the opportunity to pick-up a new Nissan factory snorkel at low cost. Not the sort of thing I'd like to fit myself - holes in the panel work a recipe for disaster if I do it. Nissan dealer wants an arm and a leg to fit. Does anyone know of a place in Perth that would install, and importantly do a good job at a fair price?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: relaxed (Fraser Coast-QLD) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 11:58

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 11:58
Hugh
Can't help you with places who fit them, but I am interested in the low cost you mentioned. I've been quoted $350 supply only by my Nissan dealer, is your quote cheaper? I've been looking for a while to see if I could buy one cheaper (tight arse). If so could you tell me how much and where in perth I should contact?
Relaxed
AnswerID: 19864

Follow Up By: Hugh - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:18

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:18
Hi Relaxed,

My employer is in the Auto industry so I can get parts from Nissan at trade (the guy told me cost would be $276). No such deal from the 4WD retail suppliers.

Hugh
FollowupID: 12700

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 12:55

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 12:55
Hugh, I fitted the snorkle to my GQ I'm not sure what all the differences are but I found that taking a bit of time to look at the job carefully and planning what I was going to do, I put plenty of masking tape around where I was drilling, plus a peice of old carpet lino to protect the body work. I made more mistakes being over cautious. I'm not sure at how you are with mechainical repairs so it's hard to judge how you see the job.
If you get really scared just take it to one of the local 4by shops they'll help you out they do this sort of thing all the time. I use ARB in Ozzy Park, speak to Don in the workshops or Russle in the shop. they should do the right think by you. Good luck, if all else fails I know some good paint shops as well. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 19874

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 14:11

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 14:11
Tried the local 4wd shops?

local one here in Melbourne charges $100 to fit them.
AnswerID: 19881

Follow Up By: Hugh - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:25

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:25
Truckster,

Thanks for the feedback. I discounted this option thinking these guys wouldn't want to fit someone elses product, however business is business. I phoned around today and local TJM dealer will fit it for $110. ARB would as well, though hesitant on giving a price given they fit Safari and not familiar with the job. I understand that Airtec snorkel as supplied by TJM is very similar to factor Nissan snorkel (wouldn't surprise me if off the same tooling - I don't know though). This may explain why they were so happy to fit it. Just down the street from local Nissan dealer - probably where it would go anyway.

So thanks all for your help - direction now seems clear.

Hugh
FollowupID: 12701

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:41

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:41
The Nissan Factory Snorkel is made for Nissan by Airtec.

The Nissan Factory Cargo Barrier is made for Nissan by Milford (and is cheaper than getting a Milford)

The Nissan Factory Tow Bar is made by Hayman Reece

The Nissan Factory Bullbar is made by ARB... etc

Regards

Steve
FollowupID: 12713

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:49

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:49
I paid the local nissan dealer to install mine and guess what, the car came back with a small dent like a sharp hammer mark from the inside of the guard near the snorkel hole.
AnswerID: 19921

Reply By: relaxed (Fraser Coas - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:22

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:22
Hugh
Nissan brand snorkels are made by airtec, they just wack the Nissan tag on the side. Interesting to know, aftermarket stores selling airtec want around the $500 and nissan sell for $350. Thats got to be a first, maybe its the airtec sticker that cost $150.
Thanks for your reply on the cost that you can buy for, its always a big advantage when you know someone in the trade. No luck on my side unfortunately, so I might have to pay the $350.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 19971

Sponsored Links