which 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:16
ThreadID: 4897 Views:1782 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am an Irish visitor, here for a year. I am thinking of travelling next Jan-March before I go home with my wife and 2 kids. I have approx. $20,000 to spend on a 4x4. What should I go for, or maybe more importantly what should I avoid? I intend to get some 4x4 training but I doubt given we will be travelling in the summer that we will go too far off the beaten track.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:31

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:31
If you are travelling i would buy a nissan or a toyota of any type 4x4 in diesel.... I wouldnt touch anything that is not japanese..._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*
AnswerID: 19946

Reply By: tristjo - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:39

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:39
Look for a Nissan GQ Patrol 4.2ltr diesel. They are very reasonably priced, and are an extremely tough and reliable vehicle. You won't have any trouble finding a good one for under 20 grand. Enjoy your stay, too, mate!! Tristjo.
AnswerID: 19957

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:41

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:41
If your only here for a short time, and only want it for the trip, try Britz. they hire 4wds to tourists. You also get roadside service and I think they now have to give some form of training to people...

Probably saves you buying registering, and then selling before you have to go home.......
AnswerID: 19958

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:23

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:23
Interesting what you say about Britz and training. I have a deal with Britz thru the Austarlian 4wd Training Network, of which I am a memeber, to train all thier inbound 4x4 rentals. This deal has been inforce in Australia wide since 2001 so far i have trained only 5 ppl for Britz as it is not compulsory. Britz lose so much down time due to acidents in NQ it is ridiculous yet they still don't insist on offroad training for thier rentals. 5 tourists were killed in the Cairns area last year. Britz' manager here would like to see all tourists get some basic form of training but ppl assume that because they can drive, they can drive anything any where.
Its time someone stood up and was counted as far as driver training for European and American tourists go to prevent them killing and maiming themselves and us. A classic example of this is about 2 years ago a german couple hired a 4wd from a multinational hire company to cross the Simpson Desert, they paid the money and were given the keys no questions asked, to me no duty of care. They got bogged in sand in the desert and the girl decided to walk out and sbsequently died, the male was found with the car a few days later and the rescuers let the tyres down and drove out. Basic 4wd training would prevent situations such as this. Cheers robCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 12771

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:43

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:43
gday all
its not just tyres not let down have seen 3 or4 here in wa inclueding 1 very high profile incident 2 where 2 young guys died where just by looking at the vehicle you could see the buggers had not even got the hubs locked in,rob email with contact adress or phone number i have some info re 4wd traing that may interest you address is bruce @budgetsigns.biz
regards Bruce
FollowupID: 12778

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:52

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:52
Hi Rob

I thought the desert one was the cause of compulsory training, or did the gov bleep their pants and pull out, and make it 'suggested'??
FollowupID: 12779

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:01

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:01
There was a lot of hoo haa at the time about compulsory training but nothing ever came of it. One of the problems was that it would be made reciprocal ie we would have to be trained to be able to hire a car OS probably a sensible alternative. This was one of the reasons I went back to school and completed a Cert IV in training and assessment. As from 07\03 we were told that everyone driving a 4WD commercially would have to have done a Nationally Recognised 4WD course or risk huge insurance litigation and payouts. So far very little has come of it tho some of my customers Telstra , Ergon Enery, Main Roads have relised the benefits and come on board.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours

Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 12788

Follow Up By: Kevin - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 13:47

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 13:47
I know this is getting off the track (so's to speak) however what I have seen of these Britz vehicle that are usually hired by Europeans doing is nothing short of stupidity. I agree totally that the company should have some duty of care to train these people and at least supply some sort of recovery equipment. We saw a number of them in Cape York and they did not even have a snatch strap. And if that was not scary enough we even saw one try to tackle "Gunshot" and the driver was in high range 2WD because he did not know how to put it in 4WD.
FollowupID: 12933

Reply By: Allyn - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 01:44

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 01:44
either of the above suggestions are sound advice.
If asked to give an answer I'd say go with the Britz option.
AnswerID: 19965

Reply By: Wim - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:12

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:12
The purchase of 4x4 is only the first cost.
Spend time reading forum for ideas on what other items will need to be on your shopping list. You may not need all of what you read about here but you will need most of it.
Estimate resale value and compare that to cost of a hired 4x4 which in most cases can come with the extras.

PS. Stay out of the sun (it will be very hot)and carry "PLENTY" of water.

Happy hols.Wim
AnswerID: 19969

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:40

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:40
Phil, good on you for coming. Vehicle prices can be obtained at www.redbook.com.au (eg a 1996 TD Pajero is 16 to 19 thousand). I'd seriosly look at the hire option though. A lot of the time you could make do with a more affordable conventional vehicle, and hire a Britz for the rough segements. Let us know how you go and when you get here.
AnswerID: 19974

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:13

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:13
Agree. I would look at the hire option.

Chances are, for that sort of budget, the vehicle you get will at least need some minor work before doing the big trip. Could be simply new tyres or whatever, but add that to rego, insurance, camping kit, makes more sense to hire a 4x4 camper
AnswerID: 19984

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)