To good to be true? Maybe!

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:45
ThreadID: 4904 Views:1492 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ive just been offered 4 cooper AT second hand with 99% tread for 100 bucks fitted and balanced. havent looked at them yet so apart from the obviouse (not enough tread, eally bad condition) what else should i look out for for a shonky deal. what are the signs of a retread? and my ol man also said he used to buy remoulds (he would say half the price for half the distance) how can i tell if thyve done that?
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:01

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:01
If the tyre is a retread I've found they usually remove one of the letters of the brand of the tyre off the side wall if the retread's been done by a reputable company, look for slithers of rubber where the side wall joins the tread, does the pattern match the AT design, if you are worried about the amount of wear you can visit a tyre house and measure the tread with a depth mic or a vernier I think they may even publish the original tread depth on the web page. See how you go. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 19981

Follow Up By: Alex H - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:50

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:50
check the sidewalls for damage too - I've seen tyres with plenty of tread that looked fine until you took a close look at the inside sidewall to find cuts and even chunks missing - a blowout waiting to happen.
Cheers,
Alex.
FollowupID: 12723

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:11

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:11
Where are they from Jonny? Are they for the Triton? If so has he got any more for me?Live today as if there may be no tomorrow
AnswerID: 19993

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:44

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:44
I'll go the too good to be true.

they are worth over $200ea easy, depending on size.

I would hazzard a guess at damaged or stolen..
If stolen, go with em!
If damaged, walk away....
AnswerID: 19995

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:23

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:23
sorry guys to alarm you all but i ment to write 100 bucks each but still scene as though ive priced them else where and as truckster said, i priced them at 249 bucks. sorry wombat he said he only had these 4 and he wanted to get rid of them.
AnswerID: 20015

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:00

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:00
all retreads made in australia have to have makers number on side wall.i havnt seen a retread yet with cooper pattens.bfg one available now.does sound pretty cheap but we had a guy come into mork on monday and told us he just bought 4second hand and 1 new coopers for $550.somewhere in melb we bought 1 brand new of him for $100.he told us the guy only had 5.have a good look around sidewalls and make sure theres been to patches fitted inside side wall.pretty sure the at have about 14mm tread from new but any tyre usually wear a couple of mill of pretty quick.so even 10-12 mm still very good value.if the guy your bying off is not a tyre service tell him you will pay him when you get them fitted and the fitter should be able to tell you if there any good.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20021

Sponsored Links