CDMA vs NextG Coverage in Regional Areas or for Travelers

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:17
ThreadID: 49116 Views:6129 Replies:31 FollowUps:41
This Thread has been Archived
Unfortunately I switched to NextG. One of the worst decisions I made. I use the phone extensively for work & in regional areas .

I have now tried & tested approx 5 next G Handsets, wow they are bad, great if you want all the gimicks advertising & foxtel etc etc. but if you want a phone that simply has:

1. A real car kit with direct conection external antenna
2. A phone for making & receiving phone calls
3. A phone for sending & receiving SMS messages
4. Coverage (its far worse than CDMA)

Then stay away from Next G for a while until they get the handset problems sorted out.

Coverage is more limited than CDMA in regional areas and good on ACCC for slapping Telstra on the wrist, because they were definately misleading and Telstra is simply lying about coverage.

For example their coverage maps of the NT are simply copies of the existing CDMA coverage, but in reality NextG coverage is only approx 70-80% of the CDMA coverage.

Basically the problems are:

1. Range is technically more limited than CDMA
2. Less Towers than CDMA (obviously that will change)
3. Crap handsets
4. Designed for Movies, Multimedia & advertising rather than communications and phone usage (or at least those features have been given more development than the basics)
5. Data is Ok, but incredibly expenSive

No phone I have found on NextG comes any where near my old Nokia 6385 CDMA and thats quite a few year old.

I use technology extensively and am happy to change & like to use data & new features - But Next Glitch just does not yet cut the grade.

Even simple things like I pay extra to subscribe to Telstra Memo, when they send me a message I have to press approx 6 keys & "extract data" just to return the call to the phone number in the message!!!! It takes me back to the functionality of the first bricks in late 80's. (yes I have checked that I'm not simply not able to find how to do it more quickly)

Even the finally released Nokia NextG is a very basic phone (at a high price) thats a few years old and just modified for NextG's propriatory network.

My recommendations are :

DO NOT change from CDMA to NextGlitch yet.

Telstra definately will NOT be given the go ahead to switch off the CDMA nextwork soon as NextG is still way behind.

IF (but its not looking good) Telstra realise the business users and travelers need a phone, message & data device (not a wiz bang advertising ridden camera) & get the coverage reasonable and release some decent handsets, it could be good.

I have been fighting Telstra to let me change back (does not matter about the cost of multiple car kits etc. as I simply need a phone that works where my old CDMA did), but apparently they lock you old handset off the nextwork & won't let you go back no matter what. - Ebay here I come for a replacement Nokia 6385.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big_Pete - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:51

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:51
I have been totally unimpressed with NextG in my area since it was first turned on late last year. Poor coverage, poor voice quality and call dropouts are the most prominent features of NextG.
I am now on my second NextG phone (LG TU500) which is better than the previous phone I had but does not perform as well as my LG CDMA phone.

CDMA although weaker than it used to be consistently outperforms NextG in my area. Next G does not seem to have the range of CDMA. Unless my Next G phone shows at least 2 bars it will not hold a call, it drops out continually. My CDMA still works adequately out of town on 1 bar signal strength.

I have complained to Telstra numerous times and reported blackspots and have seen very little improvement in NextG since Dec 06.
AnswerID: 259341

Reply By: Member - Brett (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:08

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:08
Far out, I didn't think it was that bad. I bought the Samsung A501 or what ever it is while I was in Broome because my standard digital just didn't work anywhere.

I have to admit that I was really impressed with the quality and the coverage. Even now living back at home in Perth I still find it top quality and with great coverage. I work on Garden Island down near Rockingham and previously I always had issues with my old phone and literally no coverage on the island. My Next G phone has been supurb.

BUT

I do have a huge issue with the battery life or lack there of. I can spend about 20 minutes on my phone before it dies, it just sucks up to much juice!!
AnswerID: 259343

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:29

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:29
Brett
Some people expect coverage at places like October Ck , or Tjukayirla Roadhouse
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 520864

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 17:29

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 17:29
Agree Doug!
With our CDMA we had coverage 100km down the Booroloola rd from roper bar, was quite impressed. Think i will keep the old scratched unit for a while!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 521075

Reply By: MintabiePete (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:11

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:11
I have been watching your thread and ones very similar as yours :) I have nnot got a next g mobile yet , I still have my old CDMA but I have let it run out because I was going to get a next g compatible phone to replace it . Going on the latest events I might just re activate my CDMA , but I am not a 100% sure I can , has anyone done this ?
AnswerID: 259344

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:28

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:28
Prepaid is the cheapest way without going contract
FollowupID: 520830

Follow Up By: MintabiePete (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:22

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:22
Thanks Skippy , yes I had prepaid with my CDMA but I let it go , now if I want to use it again I gather I have to get a new number , but the thing is will telstra give me one :) Or will they hang off and try and get me to go to their next g setup :)
FollowupID: 520946

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 23:16

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 23:16
You have up to 6 months after your prepaid expires to recharge your phone to keep your old number.
FollowupID: 520985

Reply By: Zodarp - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:27

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:27
I can appreciate your concerns about the validity of the next g network and telstra's claims of a better service. When my current cdma phone contract expired recently I was advised to changeover to next g. However the plans offered were not suitable so I purchased a prepaid lg next g phone, still keeping my cdma service and number. I diverted all calls to the new phone and was surprised to find that SMS messages cannot be diverted, only voice messages.

During a recent trip (1200 klm) around my customer territory, I found that the signal on the cdma phone was the same as usual but the next g phone was showing continual low signal strength or no service. Why are telstra lying about their superior service? Do they not realise that most cdma users are not the gullible customers that they estimated. I will be keeping my cdma phone until the service is shutdown and if disconnected change to another carrier.

Why can't telstra sell you what you want to buy, not what they want to sell.

Regards Zodarp
AnswerID: 259345

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:28

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:28
Michael
According to a communications expert i was talking to in Perth he told me that until CDMA is phased out all together G3 coverage and CDMA will be well below par. The reason he gave me, and this is supposed to have come from the horses mouth, is that both systems are using the same towers and that the signals are depleting each other and this will only inprove once the CDMA system is scrapped. This wouldn't surprise me.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 259346

Reply By: Michael P1 (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:31

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:31
In reply to some of these comments, yes NextG is most likely to be better for coveage than GSM, but its definatlely NOT as good for coverage as CDMA.

There will of course be the odd exception, but Telstra is definately lying about coverage so far and don't seem to be taking it too seriously (but apparently they also have problems with lack of ISDN infrastruture to many of the towers and NextG/CDMA sites).

If Telstra simply acknowledged they had a problem OR had spent the last year working on decent handsets and addressing the problems I would be a bit happier, but instead its all spin and marketing.

Not to mention that you can't get a decent NextG handset yet.
AnswerID: 259347

Follow Up By: Member - Brett (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:52

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:52
When has Telstra ever NOT lied to their customers. They're a bunch of bastards to put it bluntly.
FollowupID: 520823

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:02

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:02
Yep we tried a NexG handset from Telstra, we do alot of remote stuff and compared too our old CDMA it was very poor.

We will be seriously
AnswerID: 259353

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:05

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:05
Hit the wrong button

We are seriously thinking of getting a sat phone

Baz.

FollowupID: 520825

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:04

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:04
Hey Mr Redback, they have a different application to CDMA or Next G. You guys who use broadband in the city wnat it everywhere. ;-)))))
FollowupID: 520912

Reply By: Nav 8 - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:18

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:18
Michael P1 is spot on. I have just returned from a trip from Darwin to Perth and back and compared to the CDMA the 3 G is not worth a cracker as far as I am concerned.If Telstra dosen`t get this sorted there are going to be a lot of angry people out there. Nav.
AnswerID: 259354

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:33

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:33
If you all wait another 3 to 4 years Telstra will bring out another network in which they will say is the best.
Telstra has now got 4 phone systems on the go now, GSM,CDMA,3G,and NextG. I wish they can concentrate on only one that will work 100% not 60% .
AnswerID: 259360

Reply By: John R (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:49

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:49
My LG 'died' the other day & has been replaced by the new nokia.

The nokia (after a couple of days comparison only) has better range & sound quality than the LG did. My LG car kit was aweful - better off not using it at all.

Nokia have a car kit coming up in a month or two, though made by an aftermarket mob (Force). Telstra people are saying it'll be a passive antenna connection, but I understand Force is making the cradle only, which will plug in to existing nokia car kits.

Regardless of this, the NextG network is very ordinary. Great when it works, a bugger of a thing when you're in fringe areas.
AnswerID: 259363

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 00:06

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 00:06
John,

Nokia already have a car kit suitable for the 6120.

The CK-7W bluetooth enabled kit works well with the 6120 in the Metro area. It will be even better when the new cradle for the handset is released. I believe this will allow an external aerial connection from the car kit to the handset and should improve reception in the more "marginal" areas.

My car kit worked with both the CDMA and GSM phones until I finally ditched the CDMA a couple of weeks ago. The GSM connects via bluetooth and when the CDMA phone was placed in the cradle, this phone "took over" the car kit connection.

I assume the NextG (6120) handset will operate the same way, at least, that's what the car kit manual tells me.
I guess time will tell whether I have made a worthwhile investment in the 6120. Currently I connect via Bluetooth when not using the GSM phone.

Just a word on NextG.
When I signed up for a 12month contract, I was given the Internet network connection free of charge for the first month. I haven't used this and don't intend to. In fact, I will be cancelling the $8/month Internet facility next week.
Like some others have mentioned, I only want a phone to make and receive the occasional phone call, or SMS message. I'm not interested in all the other crap, which I can already access better and cheaper via my ADSL2 connection at home.

When I'm "on the road" I will make do with an Internet café, or some other link to the Laptop in the larger towns for my very occasional access for Internet banking needs, etc.

Bugger all the Foxtel crap and other "important" Internet access available from the NextG network on your phone.
This is not for me folks.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 520989

Follow Up By: Dave B (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:15

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:15
Yeah Sandman, I got a fee for the internet connection on my last bill and I haven't used the internet.
I rang Telstra and asked them what this fee was for and they said you have to pay an access fee to get onto the internet.
I said I don't want the internet and when did I order the connection?
They said after a bit of time that they would credit me with the fee for the internet connection on my next account then.
Check you accounts for an internet connection fee.
The local Telstra Countrywide chief was on the radio today extolling the virtues of Next G, and said that you can watch Foxtel etc. now with this system.
I thought , how many people have wasted their money on a 50 inch plasma TV when you can watch it on a 1.5 inch phone screen!!!

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 521096

Reply By: George_M - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 12:49

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 12:49
I must be the only happy Next G network user that Telstra has - maybe Sol should hire me on a fat fee to join his advertising department LOL.

Did a trip last month from Melbourne, Lake Mungo, Menindee, Broken Hill, Tibooburra and then home through White Cliffs.

The Next G coverage was WAY better that I experienced last year with my CDMA setup.

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 259369

Follow Up By: Olcoolone- Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 14:58

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 14:58
George, unfortanatly I hate to tell you that you know to much, They will only pay you $1.2 million and if you wanted more you would have to show them that you know absolutely nothing and then they can pay you $8.5 million.

I think you may be over quailified for the position you are after. LOL

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 520850

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:09

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:09
I am going to stir up a hornets nest but, vote with your feet if you dont like the service go to Optus or Vodaphone.

Ah but they don't do a CDMA or service that works outside major cities particularly in WA because there is no money in it.

So why the expectation that Telstra has to provide the service. If you want to complain my view is lets compalin about the lack of coverage the other Telecoms get away with not providing.

AnswerID: 259371

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:18

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:18
I use NextG a lot... for me a damn site better than CDMA in all respects.

I have an Samsung A701 which has survived most of this year (and given that it frequently drops from pockets etc that is saying something).

It has worked in the most remote of places across our good country from Emerald to Broome and Darwin to Adelaide and lots of places in between.

Telstra data charges are sometimes impossible to explain, and when they can't explain them, they refund them, so I have zero complaints except perhaps a higher level of drop outs in metro areas.
AnswerID: 259372

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:19

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:19
Oh, I forgot - data is quite inexpensive on the data packs.
FollowupID: 520841

Follow Up By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:44

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:44
I'm with u Andrew, brought a Samsung A701 as well. had a few drops, still works. one problem, ring tones go silent. need software upgrade. so far been in 3 times, still not fixed. phone problem, not nextG.

phone links to bluetooth in the prado. recent trip to the gasgoyne & kimberley, works better then my old digital. even works in Kooljiman.
cheers Tom
FollowupID: 520871

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:49

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:49
>for me a damn site better than CDMA in all respects

Pardon my scepticism; you surely don't include coverage in this statement do you?

Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 259378

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:50

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:50
My Next G phone and service has been brilliant, best ever. Sounds like some people are having problems hey, like you..! bleep I'd jump off the cliff and put an end to it all..!

Headline"Man Jumps to Death after Next G bleep es him off so bad!"

Long live CDMA...! (I don't think so...)
AnswerID: 259379

Follow Up By: Frank_Troopy - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:00

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:00
I don't need the cliff to kill me TerraFirma, you moron; and I don't need your smart-arse comments. I have a terminal health condition which can demand emergency contact with my hospital in order to save my life. It may not mean much to you but my life is kinda important to me and my family and the thought of leaving my home without a working mobile phone is out of the question and will have a serious impact on my quality of life.

I don't imagine that you have the brain power or empathy to be able to understand a struggle clinging to life and just how important technology can become. I would rather not be in this situation and I'm sure that after what I've been through, you'd have jumped off your cliff long ago.
FollowupID: 520879

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:23

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:23
Franktroopy, we don't need personal comments you make of TerraFirma. You are the smart arsed one above. If your health condition is as you say, you won't go from a wired phone because the ambulance will take too long to get you. TerraFirma made no direct or indirect reference to you in his comments.

CDMA isn't new technology you say you crave, it was borne out of the WWII radio.

TerraF, perhaps you are a bit extreme but I side with the new Next G after getting good distant internet access in the Flinders
FollowupID: 520919

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:37

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:37
Thanks John, Frank Troopy has no sense of humour. Frank if you have a life threatening condition spend the money on a satellite phone and relax over coverage.
FollowupID: 520954

Reply By: Olcoolone- Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 15:05

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 15:05
If anyone is interested, I have a new Nokia 6385 still in the box.

Only been used by a little old lady on Sundays who only spoke quietly.

I will let it go cheap $13395.00.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 259393

Reply By: Hughd - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:35

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:35
Just a couple of comments.
NextG is a UMTS service. That means it uses GSM in the higher frequencies and the CDMA air protocol at 850 MHz. (between the phone and the base station) Result: CDMA and NextG are sharing the bandwidth available in remote areas where 850 is the long range option.
If you check out the Telstra web-site, a few phones are endorsed for regional and country use, but most are for cities and major towns. All the regional ones have a slot for an external antenna - is that the only difference?
What I hear is that the handsets are not really much good yet as they try to do too many things - the old CDMA phone did one thing only, and maybe that is why it did a better job.
AnswerID: 259406

Follow Up By: John R (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:23

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:23
In regard to your point on regional endorsed phones & external aerials;

As far as I am aware (and I don't profess to be all knowing!!), the newer LG TU550 is the only one of the currently available phones which uses a hard connection to the antenna with its car kit.

The same kit can be used, I am told, with the TU500.
(Though the original TU500 car kit did not have the direct connection.)

There are patch leads available for both phones.
FollowupID: 520889

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:26

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:26
TU500 car kit works well with the pone and the Samsung can be patched with a re-radiating antenna to do it well. The Samsung uses a coil over the stub antenna. Nick R has one that is good value.
FollowupID: 520920

Reply By: Philip A - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:45

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:45
The ZTE 252 has a hard antenna connection in its car kit.
I have yet to fit mine as I have to reposition the antenna, as the antenna connection goes to a fly lead on the cradle and not the car kit box.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 259416

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:52

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:52
Haven't read all the replies above but please relay your findings to the Fed Minister for Telecommunications - Helen Coonan - if she gets enough of this, she'll force Telstra to leave CDMA turned on (so she says that is - I realise that nothing is cheaper than a politician's promise). Glad I still have my trusty Kyocera 3245 'scrub blaster'.
AnswerID: 259418

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:28

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:28
Darian, we may end up with a party that really only has city union interests and Helen C has no say.............
FollowupID: 520922

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 22:07

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 22:07
Come on John where your faith.. LOL not conceding already? :-)
FollowupID: 521226

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 22:18

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 22:18
Perhaps you didn't notice the word 'may' Richard....
FollowupID: 521228

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Sep 01, 2007 at 01:30

Saturday, Sep 01, 2007 at 01:30
LOL
FollowupID: 521251

Reply By: Willykj - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:03

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:03
I have been watching this subject with interest. I went to Next G last December with a Samsung 501 and am very happy.

We travel in country areas regularly and coverage is not a problem. Several times we have travelled with another couple on CDMA and we have always had coverage when CDMA did. Sometimes Next G was better.

Just returned from an outback trip over 3 weeks and in the areas that had mobile coverage we were always on line. We use the phone connected to laptop on internet (using a data pack) and even in marginal areas it always connected with no dropouts.

Willy

AnswerID: 259419

Reply By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:53

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:53
In 20 messages very few have admitted to what model phone they are using. Also only one has mentioned anything about needing a phone that is suitable for remote area operation (message 17.) These phones are listed in their on line catalogue with a blue tick. If you have purchased a phone that has low sensitivity you should not be winging about poor fringe area performance.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 259422

Follow Up By: Michael P1 (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:12

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:12
Telstra spin again, country area & non country area phones!!!!

Basically what they are admitting is that most of the NextG phones have extremely poor sensitivity.

Sure car kits are also an issue here also yes aparently now 2 phones that have car kits with real external antenna connections. One for the LG TU500 & TU550 (which I am now trying to get hold of) & one for the ZTE.), But these car kits are of poor build quality, hard to use with multple connectors etc. Still like I have said reasonable cost is not really a factor, I just need a phone thats as good and has as much coverage as I used to have !!

Even Telstra people & Telstra shops will tell you NOT to touch the ZTE with a barge pole as their failure rate and quatily of build it terrible.

Ok so that leaves me with one phone that has an approx 30-60 minute talk time and goes flat in 12-16 hours !!! Has a crap menu, has problems with its car kit interface (thinks its still connected to carkit when its not (commonly known problem)).

I'm glad that some people are happy with NextG coverage, well they must be the people that believe its "everywhere you need it". I can assure you that in the NT, top of WA, Parts of SA and from what I hear from others it definately is NOT.

Now the LGTu is supposed to have about the best sensitivity (not sure of the Nokia rank there because its only just become available).

I have used the following NextGlitch Mobiles:
TU500
TU550
2 different ZTE's
Imate JASJam
Samsung 501

(+ have a few collegues with a couple of others, also unahappy)

It has been raised in parliment & also by reputable Telecomunications analysts that NextG coverage is substandard to current CDMA Coverage, but the few Telstra appologists here don't seem to believe me, them or others here.

Yes outside the main cities we are stuck with Telstra, Optus/Voda etc just don't have any realistic coverage, all I'm asking is that Telstra get their act together and get some better coverage & importantly handsets happening for NextG. Don't forget we also pay a premium for this service.
FollowupID: 520916

Follow Up By: George_M - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:14

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 20:14
Hi Michael

The "http://whirlpool.net.au/" site is probably a more relevant site to push this issue. That's where the hard core 'cell phone geeks hang out.

Optus and Vodafone will never provide anywhere near the coverage that Telstra does outside the metropolitan and provincial centres - there isn't enough money in it for them, unless the Government subsidises them.

Mobile phone services are advertised as covering (for example) "95% of the population" - this translates, I think, to about 20% of the land mass or possibly less. The only way to get coverage everywhere you need it is therefore via satellite phone and/or HF radio.

I use an Iridium satphone (Telstra again!) in conjunction with a Palm Treo Next G cell phone with a car kit and "broom handle" aerial. Would I like one unit that did the lot - you bet! Would I like to pay half the price - absolutely! Is this going to happen anytime soon - nope:-(

There just isn't enough competition in this area, and because of the economics of the matter this is not likely to change anytime soon.

Don't lose you sense of humour mate:-)

George

Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 520941

Reply By: Olcoolone- Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:02

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:02
Does anyone know if the system Telstra uses for there Next G, is it being used by any other carriers around the world.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 259426

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 23:05

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 23:05
Nope - I think there there are other WCDMA systems but Telstra's is pretty unique in terms of protocol and frequency.

That is partly why the Nokia took so long - Nokia could no be bothered doing a niche handset for a proprietry network in little ol' Oz when they have WORLD DOMINATION to play with selling miliions upon millions of easy to manufacture handsets around the rest of of the planet.

Muddy
FollowupID: 520984

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 20:16

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 20:16
If you are interested in some technical detail on this, see this link.
http://apcmag.com/6684/telstra_nextg_telstra_mobile_and_bigpond_wireless

A couple of quotes
The Next G network is a UMTS HSDPA network running on the 850MHz band -- the same type of network that Three/Vodafone/Optus have deployed so far in capital cities only on the 2100MHz band.

Despite what Telstra might like you to believe there is no magical, unique technology behind its Next G network, just a lot of towers and a lower-than-normal radio frequency on Next G (850MHz), which allows the signal to penetrate much further from the base station. Other 3G networks operate on the 2100MHz band.

Both Cingular (now AT&T) and Rogers in the USA and Canada are deploying UMTS/HSDPA 850 networks as an upgrade path for their customers, though there have been concerns about availability of handsets on the 850MHz band.

So the Telstra Next G is not unique, but it is also not common (well the 850 MHz frequency is not common anyway). At least with some others using it, hansets should become a bit better and more available in time.

FollowupID: 521759

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 20:19

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 20:19
Try this link

Lets see if I got the link right this time.
Norm C
FollowupID: 521761

Reply By: Michael P1 (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:28

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 19:28
Sure you can argue Telstra are working on it & yes they do provide the BEST coverage of any of the carriers.

What makes me cross is that they have sold me a pup as:

- My NextG phone does not work where my CDMA one did

- I have had several faulty handsets and am stuck with ones with design & quality issues.

- I can't get a decent car kit for my phone

- Telstra's coverage maps in the NT LIE , there is NOT coverage where they promise there is (and If they had been truthfull I would not have believed them and changed over yet).

Basically I have less service than I had & Telstra keep rubbing salt in the wound by telling me & the world its the best thing since sliced bread & lying about the coverage.

Yes I know CDMA has a limited life, yes indeed CDMA has its limitations, I just wish I had NOT believed the Telstra spin and changed yet & I would definately recommend that everyone else holds off for a while until Telstra get the nextwork a bit better & some decent handsets!

I really hope the NextG network works and I can use it in the future, but Telstra seem focused on gimicks and not being able to simple provide COVERAGE ! as good as they used to have.
AnswerID: 259431

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:29

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:29
Michael

Is your phone a blue tick model or a city model? You criticize the system without declaring whether you are using inferior equipment or not.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 521112

Reply By: Hughd - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 21:34

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 21:34
Further to my earlier post, NextG is a UMTS service - see http://www.umtsworld.com/technology/overview.htm#a3
It will never be fully effective until the CDMA service is shut down because it has to share the same resources in the bush. However, from what I have been able to gather the real problem lies with he handsets - they are just not as good at phone calls as the old CDMA ones. On the other hand, if you want foxtel or AFL clips, etc, then they will work much better. Look at the way Telstra promotes NextG to see where they reckon the business lies.
AnswerID: 259466

Reply By: Olcoolone- Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 17:41

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 17:41
Had a customer phone today asking if I could jump on Ebay and have a look for a LG TU550.

He runs road trains from Adelaide to Cairns.

I asked him why the new phone and he said the CDMA's he has are S*$T now and he has to goto NextG, he is having trouble accessing the CDMA network but he has good signal.

Is this another way that Telstra is forcing people to switch to the Next G by causing problems in the CDMA system.

He said this is happening in a few towns he travels through and yes he has tried other CDMA phones so it is not his hand set.....he uses car kit and external antennas.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 259578

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 23:11

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 23:11
I would think that CDMA network has now entered a "No Maintenance" period. As equipment fails they will only replace it if it is really critical (ie a whole cell fails).

If a system has less that 12 months life left then maintenance is not going to be a big priority.

Also, I believe that the equipment changover at the base stations is such that there is a set anount of rack space and the modules that provide the channels of CDMA capacity for the cells get progressively changed over from CDMA to NextG (which is just a new sort of CDMA) as more and more customers go over. So the "Old" CDMA capacity becomes less and less.

Just another way to get people to migrate.

Personally I have not had any issues with NextG.

Muddy
FollowupID: 521241

Reply By: MartyB - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 20:49

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 20:49
Michael, I read you post, better get your facts right.
You state 1. Range is technically more limited than CDMA. This is incorrect it is technically and in practice better than CDMA.
You also state 2. Less Towers than CDMA (obviously that will change) This is also incorrect there are more.
If you have found somewhere that NextG is not as good as CDMA do something helpful about it, instead of printing untrue statements on forums.
Have a look at this web site http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/help/blackspot/blackspot.cfm

Tell Telstra if you have really found somewhere that NextG is not as good as CDMA instead of telling lies on forums.

Marty.
AnswerID: 259604

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:24

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:24
Might as well add my experience to the list.

2 weeks ago "upgraded" from a Nokia 6255 CDMA which has worked faultlessly for over 2 years with excellent coverage whether I am at home (fringe area), at work (middle of Bundaberg's main street), or my farm which is about 60km north east of Gin Gin.

My new phone, an i-mate JasJam PDA connected to Telstra's NextG network with all the bells and whistles. Now my experience is to use the phone at home I have to stand in my driveway instead of sitting in my office. Not fun when you are on call and the phone rings at 2am.
At work I am standing out in the carpark, for some reason it won't work in my office which is about 100 metres from a phone tower.
Haven't tried it at the farm yet but it looks like the satellite phone is going to get a lot more use now.

After 2 weeks I have already missed about 25 calls and another 20 or so have dropped out.

Do I want my old chunky CDMA back? You Bet!!!

Brett
AnswerID: 259610

Follow Up By: stocky - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:45

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:45
JASJAM is not a good RF performer - cant be with ONE antenna covering 850Mhz - 2.4Ghz!

Phone shop should have NOT recommended it.

Saying that - I have one and am VERY happy with it - i bought it more for the PDA and have EXCELLENT coverage in my car kit which is where it spends most of its time.

Few things to check - make sure its on the right "band" and has it got the latest firmware?

Stocky
FollowupID: 521104

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:31

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:31
Thanks for the reply Stocky,

Just read your reply below and our 2 x JasJams, 1 x Palm Treo, and 1 x Nokia ???? NextG phone have been purchased through a Telstra Country Wide Rep that has been encouraging us to hold off moving to NextG for the last 9 months. May not be good advertising but that is why we use them because we trust that they are acting in our best interest. The rep told us that when they thought the new network was good enough for us to move across they would let us know.
We are not disappointed but I feel that maybe we should have waited another 3 months or so to give the new service time to roll out the improvements a bit more.

In answer to your questions, Yes I have upgraded to the latest Firmware and I have played a bit with the band settings just in case that was the problem and it does not seem to make any difference to the signal strength whichever band it is set on. I have settled with leaving it set to "auto" and it seems to be working ok.

We too purchased the JasJams more for PDA use with shared diaries and ability to access our office databases remotely if we have to for various reasons.

One thing I did notice was that the "email" and "internet" buttons on the face would often accidentally get pressed when removing it from the pouch to answer a phone call. Now I have deactivated those buttons all is fine.

Regards,
Brett
FollowupID: 521113

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:37

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:37
Bret

If you were happy with a simple CDMA phone why did you get a fancy model that has plenty bells and whistles but poor RF transmission? Get yourself a blue tick model and you will find it performs better than your CDMA one.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 521115

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:46

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 22:46
Hi Peter,

We decided to trial 3 PDA's in an attempt to eliminate the need for returning to the office and to carry laptops in the vehicles. By using PDA's we can access forms and complete data entry remotely back to the server in our office, we can also send and receive emails on the fly. The shared diaries and calendar are proving very useful too with the office able to update or check appointments in our diaries remotely.
If they prove to be worthwhile we will purchase another 12 PDA's for the remaining staff.

So far except for the phone call issues, the devices are meeting all of our expectations. I guess it is just wait and see hom much the NextG network improves over the next 6 months or so.

Regards,
Brett
FollowupID: 521117

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 01:23

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 01:23
Bret

Maybee you still need 2 devices. One for fringe area phone connection and the PDAs for data.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 521132

Follow Up By: Hughd - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:50

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:50
If you look at the Telstra "shop online" you will notice that there are only a few phones that are "Recommended for customers who use their phone in rural locations outside of regional centres and towns"
I am almost sure the JasJam used to say it was suitable for major cities only.
FollowupID: 521172

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 19:23

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 19:23
Hi Hughd,

I thought the main street of Bundaberg, a city of over 60,000 people would be considered a major regional city and have sufficient phone coverage.
Actually my post is not saying that I don't have coverage, it is just that NextG doesn't seem to penetrate the office walls as well as CDMA and has caused me at times to go out the back door into the carpark to have a continuous conversation without "black spots".

Regards,
Brett
FollowupID: 521206

Reply By: stocky - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:38

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 21:38
Dont waste your breath marty - most are not willing to listen!

NextG HAS a SUPERIOR carrier strength compared to CDMA - anyone with a signal analyser can see that.

NextG has a greater coverage distance than CDMA as long as the equipment on the remote end is right stuff! Same as I can get 70km from a pair of omni antennas on UHF Simplex on FLAT country - right gear and setup right - and no its wasn't a fluke - it was designed to work!

Yes some NextG devices are better than others - like ALL RF devices - some do a better job than others!

No - Telstra DO NOT make handsets! They can only offer what the manufacturers make available - although they are working closely with them now to get better RF sensitivity and to design better antennas - keep your eyes open for a model with an old style "pull-up" antenna coming *soon*

I have working examples of NextG Coverage in areas NOT covered by any coverage map - able to make/receive calls at data rates of between 1 - 1.5Mbps. We use it for telemetry.....

There are inter-modulation distortion issues on many cell sites caused by co-locating CDMA & NextG services on the same antennas (the cause of many "the bastards have turned down the CDMA to make us switch to NextG" gripes!)

Many seem quick to complain and slow to bother learning, listening, talking and giving feedback to those in the know.

DONT buy your phone from a chain store staffed by "sales people" who prob wont be there next week - go and talk to a COUNTRY dealer - they are the ones working on the fringe and know what works and what doesn't! Same as a city 4x4 dealer compared to a country one - you don't find cattle stations buying std units off city showrooms who don't know what mods are needed to survive in service.

NO - I dont work for Telstra! Just a VERY VERY HAPPY NextG User!

Yes - the service hasnt met expectations - same as when CDMA was first rolled out in VIC - LOTS of probs which they solved over time as it rolled out nation wide. The problem has come with the FAST rollout of the service NATIONWIDE in one hit - the UNFORSEEN issues (intermod, handset issues etc) now have to be handled across the WHOLE network instead of being able to be resolved like during the phased rollout of CDMA

Stocky

AnswerID: 259616

Follow Up By: Warrigal - Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 23:27

Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 23:27
Stocky

I'm pleased you're happy with NexG. I'm not. A previously bulletproof CDMA service became unreliable in my area so I went to NextG which is worse. Feedback from throughout this area echoes my experience and yes I have tried a variety of handsets.

I try to be patient but I do have line of sight to the tower so it's very frustrating.

Having made the decision to get satellite broadband and go completely over to mobile phones, we are now faced with the additional expense of renewing our fixed phone service.

What a farce...

Joe
FollowupID: 521598

Reply By: Dean - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 10:21

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 10:21
Bugger all these fancy phones, stick with a basic gsm/iridium combo and you have the planet covered.
Dean
AnswerID: 259680

Reply By: Member - David B (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 01, 2007 at 06:56

Saturday, Sep 01, 2007 at 06:56
My head hurts after reading that!

AnswerID: 259825

Reply By: Dunedigger - Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 16:47

Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 16:47
I have just returned from a remote area. To get CDMA signal I need a directional aerial on a pole. Using the same aerial I have been getting internet access using a nextG USB modem. Signal strength seems the same. NextG perhaps better than my CDMA
AnswerID: 260108

Follow Up By: Warrigal - Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 23:35

Monday, Sep 03, 2007 at 23:35
Hi Dunedigger

Could I ask what kind of modem? I'll be on the look out for one soon.

Joe
FollowupID: 521601

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 02:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 02:00
Most of us that are on a volume plan are using the BigPond Wireless Modem

It is the one at the bottom headed "Plans for Relocatable Wireless Broadband" If you click on the Yellow "More Info" tab in the table of prices you will get a picture of it.

You have to sign up for 12 months if you purchase it outrightor 24 months if you bundle it. If you want a low volume or a timed plan you are probably better going for one of the Telstra plan rather a BigPond plan - you can also start & stop Telstra plans where you cant a BigPond plan.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 521616

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 06:54

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 06:54
Hi Joe,

It is just a bit bigger than a memory stick and inserts into a usb port. You can attach a external aerial as I do. $34.95 month for 10 hours and $10.00 an hour over 10 hours

It is the one on the Right Hand Side of this page . . . .
http://my.bigpond.com/internetplans/broadband/wireless/whatisit/mobilecardinfo.jsp
FollowupID: 521631

Follow Up By: Warrigal - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 11:48

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 11:48
Thanks Guys

Appreciate the information.

Joe
FollowupID: 521671

Sponsored Links