replacement tyres

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 22:18
ThreadID: 4935 Views:1807 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am after the good oil on tyres. Looking at replacing my
Prado tyres in the next few weeks. We dont get much of
a chance to go off road so it would be fair to say that we would
only head off road 20% of the time. Basically my Prado
is basically a school bus come shopping trolley and on the odd occasion tows the boat to the river.

What brand/type of tyres should I be looking at. My rims are toyota Kimberley rims 16x7

thanks in advance
Jason

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 22:29

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 22:29
Are you happy with the run you had from the stock tires??

if so go with them again.

Best bet is to go to local tire place see what they offer you, then maybe if your not sure, ask for suggestions on them.

Theres far too many tires out there, and opinions on whats good and whats not.

You could go BFG AT's or Coopers ST's, or Bridgestone AT's or Hankook AT's or .......
AnswerID: 20162

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 22:45

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 22:45
gday macca
trucksters pretty right with cooper/bfg ect
my choice would be cooper a/t .
only thing i work in tyres and find all the time original tyres fitted to new cars will always last a lot longer than if you go and buy the same.
eg your car comes out with desert dueler you get 60000ks from new
you wont get the same if you fit duelers again(same with most original tyres)
reason being car manufacturers get a grade tyres fitted as standard
every one else gets the grade two tyres
if you got 100000 out of a set of goodyears from new your most likely to go to good year and buy them again.so tyre company get 2 sets out of every car.
eg new magna comes out with 205/65/15 re92 seen some do 80000ks fit new ones lucky to get 40000ks.
imi about to fit new tyres in the next couple of weeks .
im fitting cooper s/t again
but i do a fair bit of offroad but in your case have a look at there a/t
looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20163

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 09:18

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 09:18
Macca, a mate jsut went through the same exercise with his Prado. He spent several weeks researching and trying to decide. Like you, he was sensible and honestly assessed his 4WD needs (about 10%). He narrowed the choice down to Hancock, Pirelli and Cooper. When the time came, it ended up being availablity and price that saw him fit Cooper A/Ts. They are a great looking tyre and gave the Prado a slightly "taller" stance.

Shortly after having them fitted we headed off on a trip during the week following easter. Is was wet, wet, wet and the tracks we drove were muddy and very slippery. He spent most of the time chuckling at my Pathfinder sliding all over the place on its stock tyres. My wife wasn't very amused - I think the sheer cliff on the passanger's side came a little too close for her comfort.

The short story is that he is really happy with the Coopers on and off road. He can't believe how much better they are on road than the Geolanders that were on it. His wife (its her bus) is similarly pleased. They both say the Coopers are quieter on road than the old tyres. You could do a lot worse.

BTW, after having gone through the same grind trying to decide on tyres, I've decided to go with the new Cooper ST-C when they come out. Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12915

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:19

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:19
I'm due for tyres soon as well and one factor is that regular balance etc is crucial doesn't matter if it's a bike or truck.

Keep in mind that KMart have free balance etc. at any shop of theirs every 10,000.

I'm int. in the Coopers but thair warranty is only capital cities, well thats me out & even if I was they have to be balanaced etc. at the shop of purchase. Let's say $30 x 90 thats $270 well over a new tyre, to fulfill the warranty. If I'm wrong or misunderstand the sitch let me know.

As yet I'm still undecided so have been watching the threads with interest. PS I have split 16 x 5.5's currently 205r16
AnswerID: 20166

Follow Up By: Slammin - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:21

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:21
obv. thats $30 x 9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 12900

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:55

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:55
im in country area where theres no gaurentee with coopers.
but as the guy i bought tyres from(im also in tyres)said if they do it in the city they will do it any where .
we do heaps of rotations ect at work and ive seen what coopers do thats why i bought them.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 12906

Follow Up By: Slammin - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 00:23

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 00:23
In Alice, only dealer I can find said 60,000 on AT's around here would be good (& he thought I lived in town!) and also that 225 x 75 x 16 on standard rims would be a good tyre at $210 for 6, down from $218 ea.

I do easy more than 75% on some of Aussies worst desert roads and have found I easily got that from Olympic Overlanders at @ $50 cheaper per tyre.

Add in the balance and rotations and well..............? Close on 3 tyres ain't it.

I realise I sound like a doubting Thomas but I'm not made of money.
read A BIT OF A TIGHTARSE!

Is the price fair? What is a good size etc. I was going to keep on reading new threads etc so figure I might as well strike while the iron is hot!

Any info is apprciated
FollowupID: 12907

Reply By: Hugh - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 01:01

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 01:01
Jason,

I have Cooper ATs on my Patrol and can't fault them.

If the budget doesn't stretch that far then have a good look at the Hankook RF04 tyre. Hankook call these a Road Terrain, however they supplied them into the 4WD Monthly magazine all terrain tyre comparison, as featured in their March edition. These tyres stacked up really well and from memory came in 3rd overall. Tread pattern seems more open than the average road tyre. I have spoken to some guys running these tyres and the feedback was very positive, especially quiet which may be a consideration if most of your work is on the road. Hankook have this tyre on sale this month, so you may get a really good price. Should be under $200.
AnswerID: 20172

Reply By: Allyn - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 11:18

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 11:18
Jason
You may only be off road for 20% of the time but that could be some of the most critical times so I would be looking for an All Terrain at the very least.
Cooper's would be a good choice
AnswerID: 20195

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 11:44

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 11:44
not sure if the coopers come in the size your after but the selling point with the coopers im getting is they come with an 80000kms warrenty for 249 each were as the other at i looked at ive heard stories of them lasting from 40000 to 70000 and in the rare case alot more and these tyres ranged from 225 to 265 each. (all sydney prices). i know theres more to know about tyres than that but you carnt go past the warrenty. check out there web site anyway.
AnswerID: 20197

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 20:38

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 20:38
Thanks to all for your info. I really appreciate your input.

Macca
AnswerID: 20249

Sponsored Links