cooper s/t

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2003 at 14:12
ThreadID: 4944 Views:1942 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I currently run the cooper ht on my jeep grand cherokee 1999, I wanted to replace the tires with more capable off road tire. I am seriously consdiring the cooper st however am worried about the noise level increase over the h/t. The WJ (grand cherokee) is pretty quite on the inside and the cooper h/t are very quite, but how much louder are the cooper s/t over a tire similar to the cooper h/t on the pavement.

thankyou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:48

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:48
Safariwj, can't help with the ST (yet). I plan to get a set of the ST-C when released in about 2 months. So, if you vacillate that long, I'll be able to report then.

However, a mate just put Copper ATs on his Prado and they are quieter than the standard Geolander HTs he replaced.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20224

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:48

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:48
Hi. I have cooper ST tyres fitted to my 100 series TD Cruiser and my brother has cooper HT's fitted to his Cruiser. The road noise in my car is considerably louder especially with windows down. The main drawback with ST tyres is that thay chip ( No bloody great chunks come off) and they now look bleep Plus the road noise. Apart from that, they are a very good tyre and drive wall. If you are not looking at real tuff off road you should consider AT,s

Regards John.
AnswerID: 20225

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:58

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 16:58
P.S.
Wait for the ST-C Coopers to come out because if they are what they say they should be a great tyre. The existing tyres rip whole cleats off not just chips.
FollowupID: 12946

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:35

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:35
It will be interesting to see, I see they will add the letter C to the sidewall and charge more while doing nothing to the tire..

I havent heard of many ST's chipping to start with...

could be wrong.
FollowupID: 12972

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:42

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:42
Trackster, Take a set of ST's to Landcruiser Park for a weekend and you will see chipping, though the 285 ST's on my Kimbley Kamper look great. May be it is the air lockers ripping them apart.
FollowupID: 12988

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 21:59

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 21:59
Truckster wrong? Mabel!! get the jumper leads I think my pacemaker skipped a beat!So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 13021

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 10:25

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 10:25
I tried some Cooper STs when they first came out and was very happy with them They did 50 k klms and were still RWC when I took them off. I probably spend more time offroad than most and experienced no serious chipping but then I don't spin my wheeels in rough country I let the car walk up rough rocky hills. The Cooper STs were also the best compromised road tires I have used, very comfortable ride, very good grip both wet and dry. In a nutshell the Cooper STs are the best AT tire I have used so far. i am currently running Goodyear MTRs.
Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 13033

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:47

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:47
Remember: if you get a quiet tyre for a Jeep you will hear all the mechanical noises from the car so either way you will have noises ...put the windows down and you won't hear so much
AnswerID: 20257

Reply By: safariwj - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 01:11

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 01:11
Big John, when you say louder, is the noise level incease a "hum" or just increased level of noise all around. I definitly dont want the "hum" that comes with mud tires or very aggresive tires, but I do have a roof rack with basket so the noise is not extremly quite however the wj is noise insulated very well. The cooper at seems to be a good tire but I saw it in person only once and don't remember how aggressive it looks. How is its off road capability (mud, sand, water, etc.). I only off road about 20% -25% a year but I just wanted to have the good capablity when it comnes to off road. Again, the tire "hum" is the deciding factor.
AnswerID: 20274

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:42

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:42
Safariwj, I know the hum you talk about and No it is not that bad. If you have a basket you probably will not notice the noise. As for capabilities the tyre is good all round with enough aggression to dig in mud yet drive as good as a road tyre on the bituman. The place where the tyre really performs is on the butuman in the wet, They cut through surface water like a knife. I think the main reasion they rip cleats off is that the cleats are aggressive, but not as chunky as mudders, therefore when rock hopping I don't think they have quite the strengh or the compound is very briittle. To sum up I will be fitting Cooper ST's again.

regard John
FollowupID: 13030

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 09:24

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 09:24
Safariwj, one of the reasons the ST is such a good on-road performer is its compliant (softer) compound and the siping. They are the same 2 reasons why they suffer from a little chipping in rocky terrain.

The change in compound that will allegedly reduce the chipping (I assume a firmer compound), may well increase noise levels slightly. There are two reasons MTs are noisier than ATs and HTs and they are 1) tread pattern (and "blockiness") and 2) harder compound. By definition/default, the more aggressive and tougher an off-road tyre becomes, the noisier it will be on-road.

The question is, while retaining the safety of a good on-road tyre, when you do go off-road (no matter the frequency), how competant do you want your tyres to be?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13075

Reply By: safariwj - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 11:22

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 11:22
Thanks to all who replied with their comments, due to these assurances I will soon be fitting a set of cooper st's on my WJ. If there is any more comments on noise or performance I will gladly take them, but thanks again to the replies.
AnswerID: 20356

Reply By: Goona - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 19:23

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 19:23
G'day,

I have currently got Cooper ST's on my Nissan Patrol and have had 1 tire, the back left have 2 lugs rip off after a weekend away at Landcruiser Park to the extent of trhe steel belts showing. I will be taking this back and trying to get it covered under warrenty. ther than that the other 3 have no problems at all and would by them in the future after doing 30000km and still with plenty of meat on them. Noise is not a problem at all albeit a little bit noiseier than the stocko items.
AnswerID: 20452

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:21

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:21
Goona, let us know how you go with the warrenty as I also have steel belting showing on two of my tyres. Cooper have already replaced two of my origional 265 ST's. This was because they had bad cracks where the tred rubber compond meets the side wall compond. These cracks only occured after an extreme trip from the east coast to west coast and back again trip . Cooper told me that this problem was resolved about 12 months ago and my 285 have not had this cracking problem.

Regards Big John
FollowupID: 13214

Sponsored Links