ARB Diff Locks - Front or Rear Installation Advice

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2003 at 22:19
ThreadID: 4956 Views:10471 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks, I've been reading ExplorOz for many weeks now and decided to join up due the good advice given daily on 4x4 matters. Nice to meet you all.

I have two questions really - the first is not intended to start discussions again on the merits of what type of diff lock is best but I wanted to fit a ARB diff lock to my new Hilux dual cab. The guy at ARB said fit one on the rear as that's best and the guy at Opposite Lock said that was stupid as they're better on the front. Having never had either and only able to afford one ... I need an opinion or two please?

My 2nd question is - how noisy are Cooper STT's on the road. Again conflicting reports - I'm told by one that they're not that noisy and another tyrefitter said he'd hear me coming 300 m away. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:22

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:22
Good day Marc, If you have a new hilux I would think your rear LSD is in good order so fit the air locker to the front. It is better to have a LSD and a locker than just a locker in the rear. I had my rear LSD removed and fitted an air locker to my 100 series TD which did not make a lot of difference but I had no choice as ARB did not make a front locker for the IFS Cruisers. The now do and I have since fitted a front air locker as well. Now it really goes places.
regards John
AnswerID: 20266

Reply By: Dozer - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:43

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:43
Thats a hard one Marc, but if you have IFS on the lux, go for a front locker.IFS lifts wheels way too easily. If it is solid diffed, i would put the locker in the rear and the lsd in the front. This is because the front wheels usually both stay on the ground with a swaybar on the body, and the rear usually lifts a wheel. Unless of cource you are going to wheel with heaps of weight in the tray, in which case you will keep the rears down and lift a front.
LSD only work if there is traction to both wheels, once one lifts, no power is transmitted to whats left on the ground.
Bottom line here is you will notice quite a diff-erence (ha ha)
Andrew
AnswerID: 20269

Reply By: Member - Marc- Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 15:30

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 15:30
Thanks for the advice - I will go talk with ARB again and show them the replies.

Marc
AnswerID: 20306

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 21:53

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 21:53
Marc you will gain much favour with me on this site if you fish, I will go to great extremes to research and post answers if you fish, otherwise you will only have the benefit of my common limited knowledge.
Aust. 4WD Monthly has just done an article on diffs/locks. I think it was the May issue and one other before. Try giving them an email they may sell you a back issue.
More grist for the mill.
Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 13019

Reply By: Member - Marc- Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:22

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:22
Cocka - sorry mate but the last fish I caught was a flathead. Come to think of it, that's all I've ever caught. Thanks for the advice though and I've back ordered the mag.

Regards - Marc
AnswerID: 20719

Reply By: Stinky - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:40

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:40
I currently only run a diff lock in the rear which has increased my track access 10 fold, given it was an open diff prior to the upgrade. Thus far I've only encountered one trail I'd wished I'd had a Fr Locker, and even this was managed in the end.
For me personally (Bang for Buck perspective) I like the idea of a LSD rear and a fulltime Lockrite or Detroit (unlocker), coupled with an ARB Air Locker up front when required. Throw a set of 33x12.5 Cooper STT's into the equation and your ready to go anywhere. MUD tyre don't bother me as I prefer the two set option.
AnswerID: 21381

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 21:51

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 21:51
Hi Marc, and welcome. I'll go with the others on this. If you have a rear LSD and fit a locker, you lose the LSD. May as well keep the LSD and fit the locker to the front, especially when its IFS. The somewhat reduced articulation at the front reduces your traction there. The locker will compensate for that, and more and you'll have the next best thing to dual lockers.

Just remember, the front locker, when engaged, will reduce your turning circle and you may have to dissengage it briefly to manoeuvre in tight situations.

Half your luck - a front locker, eh?.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 21420

Sponsored Links