brakes on trailers are they needed or not, and anyone who has a c/trailer for sa

Submitted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 00:05
ThreadID: 4958 Views: Replies: FollowUps:
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read Moderator

Reply By: gavin or karen - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 00:08

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 00:08
Hi sorry left out information
we are looking to buy a camper trailer a downunder and was wanting to know is it really necessary to have brake on the trailer. we have been told that if the trailer is upto 750 kg , only then do you have to do it, but my husband seems to think ,its better to have it ,than not.
also does anyone know of in wa , a second hand trailer 12' or 14' for sale?
thanks
karen
AnswerID: 20272

Follow Up By: Autolec - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 10:38

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 10:38
Just depends if you like being a danger to yourself and others.
Considering you will have the vehicle loaded to the hilt, the camper trailer loaded to the hilt, brakes are ESSENTIAL. You know what it is like if you just load your vehicle up to the hilt how much extra distance and brake pressure it takes to stop. Now add more dynamic weight to the rear of your vehicle and think how you long it is going to take for you to stop.
On the long down hill sections without brakes on the trailer can be more than a little concerning.
You will find by not fitting brakes to the trailer the cost of brake repairs/maintenance on your tow vehicle will be higher than the cost of brakes for the trailer.
Electric brakes are the most trouble free and easiest to fit.
FollowupID: 12997

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 05:30

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 05:30
Karen,
Definately get Electronic brakes fitted to your trailer....

I bought my camper without brakes because they were not required by law, however when I towed it home I got on the phone to the manufacturer and advised him that I wanted them to fit brakes to it as it was causing me to brake early and harder and I was still only driving in Melbourne.
I was given a choice of different types of brake systems and went for the fully electronic version made by 'Hayes Wheels' in USA. They have a 5 year warranty and have a variable load controll switch and also a manual brake controll that you can adjust while driving.
This comes in handy at times when you are traveling down steep dirt tracks, you dont have to apply the tow vehicles brakes causing loss of stearing control as the trailer is actually holding you back.
FollowupID: 13146

Follow Up By: gavin or karen - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:13

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:13
Thank you so kindly to everyone who has sent me their wealth of knowledge on the matter. We will get brakes from the start. some asked about the size of trailer I was enquiring about. Downunder brand and cavalier and Outback and wandering star make a 12" or 14" tent area on their trailers, ideal for families. so if you know of any for sale tlet me know thanks again
Karen
FollowupID: 13188

Follow Up By: gavin or karen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:08

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:08
Thanks again for the information on brake, and we will be buying a new downunder brand trailer, For those who are looking, look no further than this great brand, it has all the extras, the quality and colour choice to boot. ooh yes the price, just the best you could ever imagine.
Downunder Trailers are in High wycombe Perth. tell paul and tanis Karen and Gavin sent you
FollowupID: 14558

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 08:31

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 08:31
One needs to consider, that under idea conditions, it is considered safe to tow up to 750 Kgs gross without trailer braking.

Some points to consider are.

Can you be sure that your trailer will always gross out under 750 Kgs, especially as the trailer you are looking for, is rather long.

Insurance for the trailer could be expensive, and would be void if it was overloaded.

Then you have to consider maybe damage to the tow car.

SAFETY would indicate to me, that even overide brakes would greatly enhance the safe travelling of you and yours, but electric brakes would be better.

Can you be sure that you are also always going to encounter idea conditions.

Have safe time in your travels.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 20281

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 09:04

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 09:04
Hi,

Legally throughout Australia your trailer is not required to have brakes fitted if the GTM ( Gross Trailer Mass ) is under 750kg. This would normally apply to the 6x4 or 7x5 box trailer.

You will find however that a 12' to 14' trailer will have a higher GTM rating and Over-ride/Over-run brakes are acceptable up to a GTM of 2 tonnes.

Where the GTM exceeds 2 tonnes the braking system must be fitted with a breakaway system that causes the brakes to be applied if the trailer becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle.

A car carrying trailer will probably be rated at more than 2 tonnes.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 20283

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 11:29

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 11:29
The 750kg is trailer tare weight (empty) by the time you load jerry cans, food, + all the other bits & pieces you will be over a tonne so brakes are mandatory by law.Regards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 20292

Reply By: johnsy - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 14:08

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 14:08
Over ride brakes are nearly as dangerous as no brakes because on pot holed ,corragated roads they are bounced and come on at all the inopportune times Go electric and try for a insurance dis-count for going the extra yard.
AnswerID: 20301

Reply By: bmw1 - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 15:12

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 15:12
I think they are looking at a 14" tent on a trailer. A 14" trailer is a bit long for camping gear. Does anyone know the price of fitting electric brakes to a camper trailer?
AnswerID: 20304

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 20:25

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 20:25
If your trailer will weigh over 750 kgs fully laden, and any campertrailer will, you must have brakes fitted.

You can expect to pay between $600 and $750 to have electric brakes (if you decide to go that way) fitted.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20324

Reply By: Ian - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:50

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:50
We run a camper trailer hire business in Perth. A lot of trailers are built with out brakes and registered as trailers prior to having the "tent" fitted. Our trailers were fitted with the tentage and other gear on and weighed in at 640 kg. 2 jerrys of fuel and a full water tank and your over the 750 kg. We fitted manual over ride brakes and have had no problems. We do get asked about the trouble with the brakes coming on on corrugated roads. The answer we give and to our customers satisfaction is to slow down, take your time to look at the scenery and conserve your back, vehicle and trailer.

Our thoughts. Brakes are a must

have a good one Ian
AnswerID: 22058

Sponsored Links