Shipping details - Car insurance - Technical control

Submitted: Monday, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 496 Views:2395 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there!
We will be shipping our 4X4 car over for three months only. For this we will buy a "Carnet de Passage" for the douane. We'd like to know if we need to go to a Australian Technical control once the car is out of the container, or is this document good enough without having any problems afterwards?
Also, does someone knows a good address where we can buy a Australian insurance? I suppose we can have one from the Automobile Association, but can we buy an insurance for a short period, like 3 months? Any website addressess?
Do we need something else to get on track beside an insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00
Karin, you will get all the information and assistance you need from the Auto Association in the state you will be landing in. Welcome in advance, Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1301

Reply By: Mark - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

There is some information regarding "Carnet de Passage" concessions at
Also check out for an online quote on insurance, also a good source of maps and Australias largest motoring association.
Enjoy your stay.
AnswerID: 1304

Reply By: Stephen - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00
Karin: got your question but where are you arriving?? when are you arriving ?? how many of you are there ?? what vehicle are you bringing with you ??
Sorry, .... but if you want accurate answers you must ask factual questions !! Readers can help you but you must state your requirements a little more precisely.....

we would all love to help you but if you leave us asking more questions you are shooting in the dark !!!

AnswerID: 1305

Follow Up By: Bc - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00
Great response Stephen - considering the previous two very helpful ones - keep up the good work - makes me feel that I'm not so stupid (cause I am) when I read replies such as yours. Cheers BC
FollowupID: 400

Follow Up By: Karin - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00
Ok, I thought my information would be sufficient.
The car is a Nisaan Patrol 3.3 of the year 1988. It is registered as a light truck, so we pay here not the same insurance amount (less expensive) as for a car. Hopefully this is the same in Australia.
We can get the car the 30th of december, so I hope the douane will be open during Christmas and New Year ..
Have you an idea how much an insurance (2 drivers) can cost for 3 months? Just to have an idea...
FollowupID: 403

Reply By: Patrick - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00
For all your insurance queries try or when you are in Australia call them on 13 11 55.

And No I don't work for them, they just offer excellent insurance.
AnswerID: 1310

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Nov 01, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 01, 2001 at 01:00

First of all, "Welcome to Australia" - this may be a little premature, but welcome anyway.

Insurance - It is possible to buy short term insurance, but for an imported vehicle it may need you to shop around a little. As for cost, well you should budget on the equivalent of A$1,000 for a year with the short term insurance being approximately A$400 or so. If you have documented proof of a claim free driving record then you will get a discount on those figures of up to 60% for a claim free period of 5 years.

The discounts also vary according to which country your driving licence is from. Basically countries with an automobile owning culture are cheaper to insure as the people are expected to understand traffic rules.

There will be some exclusions, but they will vary from company to company.

The figures were obtained after a quick chat to my Suncorp-Metway insurance people and all views expressed are of course subjective.

Customs (Douane) - well you may be in for a bit of a wait if your vehicle gets here on 30th Dec. Our government workers are not renowned for getting off their arse are working at the best of times, never mind just before New Year! If you are persistent and ensure that all preparation work is done in advance then you do stand some sort of a chance. Which port does the vehicle come in through?

Just one piece of advice - make sure that your vehicle is 100% clean. We are (rightly) very concerned about importing weeds and bugs into this country and any vehicle (or boots/shoes) with mud on them will be impounded and cleaned for you. This will add delay and cost.

If you are planning to get around to South East Queensland feel free to give me a call.


AnswerID: 1314

Sponsored Links