Rebuilt Rear Diff for 1990 SR5 Hilux

Submitted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 22:38
ThreadID: 4971 Views:5547 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
I am looking down the barrell of a replacement rear diff (and clutch for that matter) for my 1990 SR5 dual cab Hilux. I dont have a lot of mulah, so will be looking at rebuilt rather than brand new, or one of a wrecked vehicle. Can anyone give me advice about replacing this part? And can you suggest reputable people who sell such things in Sydney?
Cheers,
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slammin - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 23:25

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 23:25
hi Chris I'm just wondering if u cant tell us want went wrong, was it just an acco, or failure?

I'm interested as a fellow Hilux owner of similar model.

cheers & good luck.
AnswerID: 20339

Follow Up By: Chris- Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:55

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:55
It's not totally buggered yet, but there is a lot of recoil in it which causes a shudder in the drive train when changing gears and if you just tap the accelorator a bit (thats what my mechanic has put it down to and he's bloody good). I purchased the bloody thing with a bleep load of kms on it from a dodgy as hell second hand car dealer on Parramatta road (my fault). So I'd say its just considerably worn out. Makes a terrible clunk when you let your foot of the clutch at times. The clutch is damned noisy and it can be an arse to get into 1st gear at times (which a mate told me is probably more clutch than gear box). I want it to be reliable so I feel I should replace clutch, rear diff and maybe gear box if required. I've had the engine rebuilt. So hopefully there's not too much else to do on it lest I go broke, sell it and buy a bloody ford lazer ;)
FollowupID: 13031

Reply By: herkman - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:05

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:05
Removing the diff is no big deal, particulairly if it is a rear one.

DO NOT FORGET ABOUT SAFETY, ensure car is well blocked up and secure before going underneath.

Also remember both diff and gearbox, when you do the clutch are very heavy, and you will have trouble getting much power out of your arms, whilst underneath. You could get considerable help using a trundle jack, particularly if you have a hard surface to do the job on.

Now being an old Sydney sider, you could do worse than to go to Grandan gears, to get the diff fixed. They may have changed their name, but they are a very well established company. One of their outlets is on Parramatta Road, where the road comes down from the racecourse at Granville.

Do not try to curtail what they want to do, for example you should have the crown wheel and pinion lapped, it will make the diff run much quiter.

They are honest people, it is not a job for the backyarder, as the diff must be set up correctly, if you want it to last. I when I lived in Sydney, took my diff out, and got it back from them the same day.

Now you can pussy foot around with clutch replacement, but stop and consider, that a good clutch company, will change the clutch in a third of the time you will, because they have all the right gear.

Hills clutch service, offer brand new clutches, at the same price as many of the rebuilts.

Remember to change the throw out bearing, the new clutch may make it noisey, and also change the spigot bearing. The last one requires a special tool, bearing is only a few dollars, but to have to pull it out again will really cheese you off, because it was not replaced.

Lastly unless the flywheel is perfect, have the clutch surface replaced, it will prolong the life of your clutch greatly.

I am sorry to say, that trying to save dollars on this effort, will not be worth it, in comparision to the risk taken. Likewise with S/H parts.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 20351

Follow Up By: Chris- Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:57

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 09:57
G'day Col,
I wont be doing it myself. Just trying to source out cheaper than "Toyota" parts for my mechanic to do the job. Thanks for your advice, I'll mention it to the bloke I get to do the work. Little things like that are always a relief to know before hand lest I had to go spend more money and get them done after the fact.
CHeers,
Chris
FollowupID: 13032

Follow Up By: Dave - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 16:11

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 16:11
Chris,
might be a stupid question but if your mechanic is that good he should be able to rebuild your origional diff at a much better price. I certainly would be wary of second hand gear as it might be just as stuffed as the one you already have.

Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 13041

Reply By: Goodsy - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 22:13

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 22:13
Hi Chris
Have been down this path with a 94 hilux.
A diff rebuild will cost well over a grand. A lot of mulah.
Go to a 4X4 wreakers and select a diff of a late model hilux 1996? this should cost $500-$600. You will get many km's out of it.
AnswerID: 20390

Follow Up By: Member - David- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 00:32

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 00:32
Just a thought. I have fitted a Detroit locker to the rear diff of my 2000 Hilux SR5, and it has to be installed with a huge amount of backlash. A bit weird until you get used to it, with a few clonks and bangs. We use it everyday around town no problems.
Anyway, it may be that your truck has a diff lock fitted as most of your symptoms fit my experience.

cheers
David
FollowupID: 13144

Reply By: Stinky - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:29

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:29
Likewise, I blew the diff in the '86, killing the pinion and crownwheel in the process. The Lockright guys (4WD Systems - SA) supplied a reco diff with their Lockrite system installed ($1200) and I've been abusing this ever since. It's clunky and noisy on the road but once in the bush it's a no brainer and there are far and few places the lux wont go, (so far).
My initial reaction to the increased backlash was negative and I thought the damn thing would have gone to pieces by now given the noise it makes, but it's still going strong. For the record I use the ute everyday for work and cover 500Kms a week on average, on road, so it can't be that bad!
I believe that the LR unit for the LSD diff is the better option, as it retains the LSD clutches which takes up the slack, thus promoting a smoother trasition between locked and unlocked.
I would go this option had I to do it over again and will if I eventually break the current unit.
AnswerID: 21380

Sponsored Links