Discovery wheel arch liner - calling Slunnie

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 15:15
ThreadID: 4977 Views:1783 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Back in March I asked for advice on fitting a snorkel to a Discovery Mk1. I have only just got around to doing the job due to OS visitors etc. I have done all the scary external bits without problem but to complete the job I really need to remove the wheel arch lining completely. I have managed up to now with just one side of it removed. In March Slunnie casually mentioned that this should be removed .... Slunnie, are you out there? I don't want to damage the fittings and can't work out how to remove the side of the liner fastened around the wheel arch, the fixings seem different to those used on the side nearer the engine. It might be as simple as ' give a hard pull' but I would like to be sure that I will be able to fix it back.

Anyone got any info?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 23:11

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 23:11
Hi greydemon, I got the yahoo through the ebush etelegraph! :-) I hope all is going well with the Disco.

I'm not sure if the D1 fittings are the same as the D2 fittings which is what I have, but the fittings around the guard and to the front of the inner guard were screw type fittings that came out quite easily. The hard ones for me were the ones at the back of the inner guard. These were like plugs that just pushed in but were hard to pull out again. It turns out the design of the plug is actually hollow with a serrated outer and this is what pushes into the holes and holds everything together, then there is a pin piece that goes into the hole and locks everything into position with a big flat cap that makes everything look neat and tidy. I basically got my finger nails in behind them and jiggled them out. It hurt and took a bit of time, though maybe you could jiggle them out a little way and then use a pair of steel rules or something similar.

regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 20392

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 23:13

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 23:13
BTW greydemon, with regards to breaking the fittings, if they are the same type I didn't end up breaking any
FollowupID: 13064

Follow Up By: greydemon - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 08:57

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 08:57
Thanks Slunnie, the ones I managed to get out OK were the ones with which you had problems, i found that if I lifted the central 'pin' slightly with a broad screwdriverI could pull it out easily with a pair of pliers, the outer bit then came out easily, and it all went back OK. I'll have a close look at the other fittings, perhaps they do screw out, I don't see why they would have changed the design. Thanks for the info.

The Disco looks great with the snorkel, but unfortnately I'm not fitting it for cosmetic reasons and since I first wrote the above I have found that connecting it to the air filter box with the parts supplied is not possible so I'll be on to the suppliers later today!

Thanks again

Greydemon

FollowupID: 13072

Sponsored Links