GU 4.2L burning oil ?

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 20:17
ThreadID: 4981 Views:1851 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick question is it normal for a gu 4.2l turbo int to use a bit of oil?
the eng has done around 106k only had the car for a week and checked the oil the other day and found the oil was showing around half way on the dip stick the engine was warm.
It may not have had the correct amount of oil from the last service i dont know being my first diesel im not sure if it is normal for them to burn oil.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 20:50

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 20:50
Hi Simon, My GU 4.2 has done 265,000 ks, change oil every 20,000 and it probably uses a litre in that time, Best if you change the oil andcheck it from there on. regards Michael
AnswerID: 20380

Reply By: colin - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 21:39

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 21:39
Hi Simon, i have a 92 GQ 4.2 diesal with a super charger, it has done 260,000 ks and it doesnt burn a drop of oil, i service it every 5000 ks. I have found if i change the brand of oil it will use oil. I use valvoline turbo diesal oil which i have found to work well with my set up. I changed to Castrol before fitting the S/C and found it used oil so went back to valvoline which solved the problem, my point of veiw is find an oil that doesnt burn for your set up and driving style. Col
AnswerID: 20383

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:46

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:46
Be sure that you check your oil after the vehicle has been standing overnight, otherwise you will get a false reading. If you check your oil straight after running the vehicle you will always find that the level is down, as there is always oil left `up top` and this takes quite a while to drain down, hence the false reading. Also your vehicle should be on a level surface and don`t check the oil if the vehicle has not had a good run so as to get the oil hot previously. A short trip of 1-2 K.M is not enough to get the oil hot enough so that it can drain down completly,
even overnight. Service stations do o.k. from people checking their oil on the fore court as the oil level is always down, and of course the vehicle is topped up. If the vehicle is checked when cold the next morning, prior to starting up, it will be found to be overfull. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 20426

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:53

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:53
Just a quick P.S. to my previous reply is that your vehicle could be leaking oil. Put newspaper or similar under the vehicle overnight to check. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 20428

Sponsored Links