Nissan Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Wheels and roofs

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:09
ThreadID: 5012 Views:2303 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Truckster,

Following up from previous.

Yes the studs sheared at 100km. Nissans answer when claiming under warranty was it is outside our warranty guide lines. After 6 months and alot of discussions, letters etc they finnaly gave me a new disc to replace the one that got damaged after the wheel fell off. Didn't pay for the studs though or the nuts that where lost or the busted rim. At first they said that some one must of loosend them. I explained on several occassions that i had traveeled 1600 km over 2 days and never left the side of the car even sleeping 3 feet from it.

The roof cracks, There reply was "You had to much weight up there Sorry no warranty". I had to fork out the dollars to get it rewelded and painted again. The panel beater said the welds were very ordinary and they should be right now after he plated them for additional strength. So far no worries and carring the same weight as before.

After all this I don't think I will ever buy a brand new car again. Should of kept the Cruiser ute. Never missed a beat after 240000km. The Nissan is still a good truck though and does go further of the beaten track and is definately alot more comfortable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 08:09

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 08:09
I have to ask, were you running factory rims or something else? If factory, check for cracks appearing where the spokes blend into the outer dish. You will notice that current model cab-chassis have rims with a small hole between the spokes. This is an attempt to strengthen the rim due to cracks appearing, mostly on heavily laden cab-chassis models.
AnswerID: 20506

Follow Up By: Goona - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:01

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:01
Desert,

I was running alloys. Nissan advised that if i wanted alloys on i would have to go to a tyre shop and get them myself and yes they will not affect the new car warranty. They will not cover the rims but everything else still will be. Should have gotten that statement in writing. The thing is though it was the studs that sheard not the rims. The other ones are still going strong. No problems.

FollowupID: 13198

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:48

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:48
Hi
This may be of some interest/value, but i lost a wheel /sheared studs after fitting mags too,
After much talk, the tyre fitter pulled me asside and said that cheaper mags dont have metal seats in the nut holes where as other oem and expensive rims do. If your mags are alloy to steel nuts, then the expansion rate of the two metals can cause the nuts to come loose by them selves.
This is what i found with my mags anyway, check yours out and see if they are thesame.
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 20616

Sponsored Links