Warn winch questions

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:49
ThreadID: 5027 Views:6653 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I recently purchased an ex goverment GU patrol, it came with a bull bar and Warn XD 9000 winch.

The cabling for the winch has no fuse, it runs directly from the battery to the winch. I would like to put a fuse in the system somwhere and was wondering what value would be approirate. I have put an isolation switch in the cable to stop unauthorised use of the winch but because it was quite large I was not able to mount it as close the battery as I would like.

Also I have no documentaion for this winch and would like to know what maintenance should be done e.g grease etc.

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:13

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:13
I have never seen a fuse on a winch. Don't know why but I haven't. Warn winches are imported by Ateco, they are in Sydney on the Princes Hwy at Tempe. You could contact them about fusing and documentation. If they can't help you try ARB. If you contact the state head office in your state they should be able to help you.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 20563

Follow Up By: Groove - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:09
Thanks Duncs I will give them a call.
I am not so much concerned about protecting the winch but more concerned about the possibitlity of the insulation on the cable rubbing on something and wearing through causing a short. Probably not very likely but I have seen some incredible wear from extended driving on corrugated roads.
FollowupID: 13205

Follow Up By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:23

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:23
Hi
Your concern is well founded, but it is more practical to secure the cabling all the way from the battery to the winch than to install a 500 amp fuse. (The winch will pull 450amps at stall.)
Andrew Wollongong
FollowupID: 13221

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:28

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:28
gday groove.
when im not using my winch i usually take the positive of the battery.
simple and saves any cheeky bugger shorting it out and doing heaps of damagelooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20580

Reply By: Matt M - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:14

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:14
Just a thought!!
If you look up the specs on a Warn 9000 winch, the highest current draw if everything is tight and in good condition is 460 amps!! Thats the equivient of most starter motors!! Can you imagine the fuse you would require to protect that circuit?? Prob the same reason there is no fuse in the starter motor circuit eh?
AnswerID: 20587

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:36

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:36
If you are worried about the insulation just buy some of that split corrigated conduit that most auto shops sell. I used it on my winch cables and all other cables and hoses under the vehical to gard against stone damage.

Instead of isolating the main cable i installed a switch on the low current remote control power from the solinoid box and located the switch up under the bonnet so you can't use the winch from shorting the plug terminals.

Or as said just disconect the winch lead from the battery.
AnswerID: 20589

Reply By: AndrewC - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:58

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:58
You would need a massive fuse to for a winch. If you have never used one before have a play with it on an angle before you need to in a recovery situation and you can see on the dash guage how much current is pulled. Also you want the shortest best battery cables you can afford with the best fittings and no interuptions in the cable. The slightest earth problem or loose conection and the winch will die a slow and if your stuck, painfull death. If you want to stop people playing with your winch. Take the cover off the solinoid box and find the wire that runs the solinoids though the remote switch. Its the one connected to where the positive battery cable connects to the soliniod and to the external plug. Run two wires into the cab to a switch on the dash and after cutting the positive wire that connects to the plug. join the switch to each end. This way the only way the winch can be used is if the switch is turned on in the cab. I even have a light on mine so I know when its on. I used 7 core trailer wire and wired up two switches. (one the same as the remote) so now I don't need the remote to winch from in the car. Very simple electrical priciples involved for anybody confident in basic auto wiring.
Hope that helps. Can give more info if needed.
Andrew
AnswerID: 21824

Sponsored Links