Belt Driven Air Compressor update wanted for 80 series.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:30
ThreadID: 5033 Views:3912 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know there has been a lot of talk in the past about these old air con. compressors used to pump air(including endless air recently), however no one in the past has come up with a solution for fitting one to an early 80 series GXL factory turbo diesel. Recently people were talking about more availability of brackets so was wondering if anyone has come across a good one for the 80 series.

I have always wanted to try this type of compressor so any recent updates on the subject specifically for the abovementioned truck would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Charlie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:16

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:16
Hi Charlie
I have seen photos of a Magnum fitted to the air cond belt. (longer one) The power steer reservoir is moves south, and the idler pulley near the tappet cover is changed for a flat one out of a Hyundai excell. It fits straight on where the Toyota one goes, but the belt deflects under the new flat wheel before rounding the compresser for its return jpurney to the crank pulley.
IMHO, i wouldnt do this as the belt will crack and fail. Did you look at that compresser i posted the URL to??? same thing only electric, portable and alternator is already mounted to motor (although the 1hdt does have them fall off sometimes)
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 20605

Follow Up By: charlie - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:34

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:34
I didn't find the URL, could you post it again Dozer. Sounds like a bit of work and perhaps a bit unreliable. Are the results worth it do you know?

Charlie
FollowupID: 13253

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:43

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:43
http://www.oasisoffroad.com/trailheadAirCompressor.html

This would be the next best thing.
The 4.5 petrol cruiser takes an endless air easily,where as the diesal wont. Endless air is a Sudan compresser (8 cfm) with grease nipple instead of oil in gas charge. Sudan are used by Mitsubishi if you can get one from the wreckers, just put a grease nipple in the plug half way down the side and pump some grease into it, but not too much, say 10 pumps :-)
Andrew
AnswerID: 20634

Reply By: Member - Wherethefugawi - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 08:38

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 08:38
Could I please draw attention to the fact that although refrgeration compressors can be used as an aircompressor they are not designed for this use. The reed type valves are very thin and susceptable to contaminants so use a good filter but no guarantees. Butt notwithsatnding this i have used a York compressor for pumping up the kids footy, soccer balls and bikes and camper and car tyres for the last 15yrs or more all with the same compressor. These compressors have ball bearings as the crank bearings and as such can be run up to 7000 rpm. Mounting bolt configuration allowed one to mount these on their side or vertical only. They come in three sizes : 6, 9 and 10 cubic inch ie 206 is a 6, 209 is a 9 and 210 is ten. you can also tell from the cranck shaft where the pulley fits but cant remember the details...the groove is different on all 3 models. The compressor fitted to the valiants are a york - just rebadged for Chrysler valiant.
One might be able to get valve plates but doubt if any other parts are available. definitely no bearings as the rear was a special for York and would be very suspic ious if the company who makes the 12volt compressor can offer any other parts.
I threw all the available spare parts (in the Adelaide store and as York did Australia wide) in the bin back in 1988 and consider mine to be a throw away job when i get around to using up the spare parts that i have horded (never really tossed them all) and never used all these yrsRichard
AnswerID: 20648

Sponsored Links