ford explorer

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:43
ThreadID: 5034 Views:4445 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
can anyone give me some info on the ford explorer xlt. Have they had anyone problems, are spare parts expensive, etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:10
Hi Many problems, they are dubbed exploders because the firestone tyres fitted std used to explode. The rear cambelt tensioner on the up spec v6 in the xlt goes south at 100k kms,rear shox are not up to the task, spriings are made for American roads, 4wd system doesnt work the best..... friend has a imaculate one that lives in at Ford.Told him to buy a Toyota!! hint hint
Andrew
AnswerID: 20603

Reply By: ThePublican - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:18

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:18
Ashley,,depends on what year model ect,, have had ours since new in sept 97,,now have 170 thousand trouble FREE klms on the clock ,,spends an average of 1 week in 4 on the beach,, has done the flinders ranges,,birdsville,oodnadatta,strez,cape york,,snowfields,,,,oil changed every10 thou plus filter,,,still on original plugs {platinum},,,had the recall on firestone tyres,,got pirelli scorpions at in exchange,now on 2nd set,,vehicle WILL do all that it is designed to do just the same as the toyotas +patrols,,,,,no need for modifications unless into EXTREME off roading,,,,,,as for spares pricing, dont realy know, havent needed any to speak of.
AnswerID: 20606

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 11:29

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 11:29
gday publican.
i noticed you said you have had the tyres replaced(firestone).
is yours a grey import.and does it have the same specs as one designed for australia.reason for asking is that no aussie spec one had firestone fitted standard(recalled tyres).
my sister inlaw bought a tarago not knowing it was a grey import and when the head gasket failed something like $6000 to fix.
been two years and they still in court over who should fix it.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 13274

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 12:01

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 12:01
G'day Publican,

It sounds like you got a good one! I know of two Explorer owners, one of which was a '97 that had no end of problems with theirs.

They also had Firestone tyres recalled. However, they got Bridgestone Duelers as the replacements.
FollowupID: 13278

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:10
Diamond,,no not a grey import at all ,,bought new from Ford dealer in Brisbane,, is Canadian spec model .
FollowupID: 13366

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 19:49

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 19:49
another reason i ask is i work in firestone store and they sent out a letter explaining about the tyre with the problems.
they gave us the list of codes to look out for and firestone told us that the only explorers with suspect tyres have to be grey imports as no explorer for australia has the sus tyres fitted.
cheerslooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 13380

Reply By: Old Jack - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 22:12

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 22:12
Hi Ashley,
Our work Owned a 1997 model, I'm glad some of the other respondants had a good run with the exploder ohp's Explorer. Unfortunatly ours was a bit of a dog, the guy that drove it all the time I must say is very hard on his cars, but the only off roading he used it for was going onto the beach at stockton when on holidays to go fishing, other wise it was basically used as a road car.
when new it did the auto box( fixed under warranty), had problems with the motor developing top end rattle ( stripped down & rebuilt under warranty again)
it developed a thirst for fuel that turned out to be a problem with the computer.

out of warranty the AC failed, the auto gearbox bleep it'self again (a few thousand$$ later) and the motor had problems with the cam timing gear( sorry don't remeber exactly what happend but it cost a bomb to fix as well)

part prices are high mainly due to US dollar,
I can say that it did drive reasonably well on road if a little soft like most stuff from the US. brakes worked excellent, had plenty of get up & go when you sink the boot into it. when it came t o filling it up it liked a drink but I can't say weather it was heavy on fuel compared to say a LC or NP petrol, when you get a fuel card for work you can forget about fuel consuption unless you cant find a place that takes it.

the vehcial was serviced regular as clock work & the ford dealers where excellent everytime it had a problem, but the guy driving it got to know them a little to well!

If you are looking at one they apparently fixed some of the problems with the early ones suspension & driveline issues in later models, hunt around you might find a good one perhaps, anyway good luck!
AnswerID: 20623

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 00:11

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 00:11
hey huys
yeah A friend of ours has a 97 xlt in good nic however last year the motor was stripped down and a new block installed (or similair i think) because there was casting sand found in the motor obviously from the motor factory the y were without their car for nearly 6 weeks waitng for parts (they had a replacement)
they have also had a few battery concerns still a few bugs there with regards to alarm and all the electrics (too many) but it drives nice and looks good maybe a little low with side steps .
but after our friend hit a roo a few weeks back they went without a car for 5 weeks waiting for repairs and parts . had to be ordered from USA.

the colour of their exploder is purple like the Mc donalds grimace hence the name "GRIMACE" or was that the look on his face when ordering a replacement driving lamp?
lol
hope it helps1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 20727

Sponsored Links