Lake Eyre Viewing

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 16:32
ThreadID: 5056 Views:3055 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am going up the OOdnadatta track in a couple of weeks and wondering where the best viewing of Lake Eyre is from ie is it better from Mooralinna Track or From Halligan's track. Probably won't have time to do both.We have so little time to enjoy our land
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill- Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 17:41

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 17:41
David, I have not done Halligans but have been via Moolarina a couple of times. You get good access to the lake but best of all there is great camping next to the bore lagoon near the homestead including flush toilets. It's 40K from there to the lake and the road can be corrogated (sand) so if you are towing, leave the trailer at the camping area.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 20695

Reply By: Captjack - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 18:26

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 18:26
Hi David, Don't know what the lake water level is now but when I was at Lake Eyre North a couple of years ago it was well up and you could not only view it you could walk out into it and drive around the beach for miles if you feel inclined.

The road in from William Creek is a little rough but good and well worth seeing. It crossed my mind that this must very much resemble "Hell". All it needed was a few fires and a little red guy with a pitch fork running around the place.

You can also take a scenic flight over the lake from William creek if you want to get a picture of the whole thing. Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 20698

Reply By: kezza - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 01:03

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 01:03
Was at muloorina 2 weeks ago and the road was fantastic the campsite was beautiful, lagoon was full of birds, the bore was good for a hot bath and the toilets the cleanest I have ever used and didnt see another soul.
Good views of both North and south Lake Eyre - no water visible from southern sections of the lake though I heard there was some in the northern sections - no public access except from the air.

kezza
AnswerID: 20731

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:43

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:43
We were at Halligans the year the lake was full. Its a pretty ordinary spot, and I wouldn't recommend it. Managed to wade out several hundred metres and swim. German tourist left car and died on track to William Creek months earlier. Sounds like Mooralinna's the go.
AnswerID: 20765

Reply By: Member - David - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:47

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:47
Take a flight with Liz of Wright Air out of William Creek. Well worth the expense & the time- and the size of the area can only be appreciated from the air.A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
AnswerID: 20782

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:04

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:04
Hi David,

You might want to stay at Farina on the way up from Adelaide. Muloorina is an excellent place to camp (donation to RFDS), and its about an hours drive from the camp area to Lake Eyre North. The road's a lot better since it was made a PAR (Public Access Route) But you'll only see water when the Lake is full. I'd imagine its totally dry at present. It is possible to cross the causeway with a guided tour and see some spectacular areas like belt bay, camel canyon and jackboot bay (see www.sunriseintheoutback.com for info). Firewood at Muloorina is scarce, but if you have the room, collect some old railway sleepers or parts of sleepers along the side of the road between Farina and Marree.

As you drive up the Oodnadatta track, you'll get a great view of Lake Eyre South - you can walk out onto the salt or climb up a dune for a photo. The hots springs are interesting.

Best info about the history of the track, Overland Telegraph, Ghan etc and sights etc are from Westprint's Oodnadatta Track map and Stuart Nicol's book on Outback South Australia (available from the RAA).

William Creek pub is great for a night and have a good Restaurant these days. Your kids will enjoy the front bar too. The plane flights over the Lake are worth every cent of the cost, although I did it when the Lake was full.

Further north, I like the drive (bit rough) to Peake Telegraph Station, and camping at Algebuckina (longest bridge in SA) is good. We usually camp on the east side of the track.

There's plenty of stone on the track, and vehicles towing trailers can break rear windows from stones hitting the trailer and bouncing back. Also, best to keep the tyre pressures at about 25psi and speed below 80kph to avoid punctures. If I don't tell you that, then Adam Plate at the Pink Roadhouse will!

Its a good trip - email me if I can help with your planning.

Cheers

Phil G
AnswerID: 20960

Sponsored Links