polyairs on a hilux

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 13:10
ThreadID: 5070 Views:1567 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm having trouble fitting a polyair bag to the rear passenger side of a hilux. The shocky is to close if fitted to the front of the axle (the outer tube of the shocky will slice the bag when compressed) and the brake cable and bracket hinders fitting the bag to the rear of the axle. The only solution I can think of is to have a spacer made that moves the shocky out further. Has anyone had the same problem that has been overcome ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mario - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:15

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:15
Dazza

I had the samre problem with my HiLux when I went from standard shocks to Koni's.
I made up a T shaped plate which I mounted upside down so one arm was under the chassis rail, one arm going up the side of the rail and one arm sticking out on the wheel side.
Made it out of 4mm steel. I added 2 gussets (triangular pieces) between the horizontal and vertical (outside arms) for extra strength (probably not really necessary).
I TEK (self tapper) screwed the plate to the chassis rail (2 underneath near the inside edge and 2 in the side) then mounted the Poly-Air plate. The pressure from the poly-air spring keeps everything in place.
I have done Cape York, Simpson Desert and CSR with no dramas.
AnswerID: 20784

Follow Up By: Dazza - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:08

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:08
Mario

Thanks for the info.

How wide did you make the horizontal section of the T bracket and how far towards the wheel did you you move the polyair top plate. Did the spring then sit off centre or was the bottom of the plate move over as well.
Dazza.
FollowupID: 13632

Reply By: Mario - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:08

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:08
Dazza

To fit the Koni's I only had to move the mounting plate out/across about 10mm, so the horizontal plate stuck out 15mm towards the wheel. There's enough sideways flex in the spring and bag to absorb the 10mm sideways movement, so I didn't alter the plate that clamps to the rear leaf spring (though, I did push the plate over towards the wheel as far as it would go before tightening up the U bolts.)

Cheers
AnswerID: 21069

Follow Up By: Dazza - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:41
Thanks
FollowupID: 13670

Sponsored Links