Member-Des your help is needed

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:11
ThreadID: 5073 Views:1763 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello there mate. I just got Magellan Platinum from US and downloaded basic AUS map for it. Version 1.1 i think. I need instruction on downloading it on the unit.
Any info from anyone is appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Rox - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:33

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:33
Did your purchase go hastle free? I am thinking this way as wellAround Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 20824

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 01:02

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 01:02
Sorry mate i was very busy so i could not answer in time.
Yes it was hassle free. Meridian arrived in 5 days from US, delivered to my door step. It come to $550 with cover and data-power combo cable.
Took me 30 minutes to load AUS base map once i figured how to do it (with the help of some nice people).

It is a brilliant unit for half the price . You can't go wrong with this one.
If you decide to buy one contact me on above email. Few hints for you.
FollowupID: 14026

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 13:02

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 13:02
Goran,
I don't know if this will help but I downloaded the WA Mapsend map onto a memory chip which goes into the back of the Magellan unit, the transfer was done via a data transfer unit loading via a cable direct to the Magellan unit takes for ever especially large files. I don't know if you have considered the Mapsend software, I find this very good and easy to work with with the Magellan GPS. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 20853

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 15:09

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 15:09
I have base map (OZ) on my computer allready. That shoud replace US base map and than i plan on loading the street level Mapsend software.
Just not sure how to go about downloading it on the unit.
FollowupID: 13453

Reply By: Floyd - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:41

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:41
Hi Goran
I just got a Magellan Platinum from US myself. It cost me about $500 Australian dollars landed with case and power cord. I have just finished downloading the basic AUStralian map to the meriplat. You can get the instructions for loading the Australian base map from the yahoo magellan group. Once there, go to Magellan meridian FAQ. Download instruction on Base map replacement (page 11).
You will also need to download the magup.exe file as well. It takes about 30 minutes to download to your meridian once you gather all the requirred info.

If you need any further help dont hesitate to ask.

Regards Floyd

Ps - works well, shows adequate base map for my needs.
AnswerID: 20890

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:06

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:06
The only relevant instruction i found there relates to MAP 330. Is this the right instruction?
FollowupID: 13494

Reply By: Goran - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:52

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:52
Can you please get in touch with me.
majaci@norcom.net.au
AnswerID: 20903

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 02:08

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 02:08
Everything i s ok now. Thanks Floyd
AnswerID: 20975

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:36

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:36
Hi Goran, just saw your post. As Floyd said, the instructions are in the Yahoo Magellan Meridian Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/. You need to join the group, go to the Files section, then download the FAQs (in pdf format, which is readable under Adobe Acrobat). Instruction are the same for SporTrak Pro and Meridian Gold/Plat models.

As Floyd said, you need to download magup.exe (from Magellan web site) and also the basemap file. The basemaps are at www.navicache.com/meridian_basemaps.

You should probably backup the original basemap first, because you need to erase it.

Here is the relevant extract from the FAQs:
Setup of the Meridian
1. Connect the Meridian to the PC.
2. Switch the Meridian on to make sure that the battery life indicator is over 50%, modify the baud rate if you
want to, and then switch off the Meridian.
3. Press NAV and GOTO simultaneously while switching on the Meridian.
4. A small rectangle appears, put in the number 95 (using the cursor keys) and press ENTER. Select Yes and press
ENTER. This will delete the basemap! The unit will also switch off automatically.
5. Once again press NAV and GOTO simultaneously while switching on the Meridian. In some cases, the unit will
display the following message: UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO MAPS INITIATING MAP UPLOAD.
That's OK, just leave it there. If it displays the small rectangle instead, put in the number 98, and press ENTER.
Select basemap upload.

Setup of the PC
1. Start magup.exe.
2. Answer NO to the next question (Proceed with software upload?)
3. File > Select Database File, and select the basemap file that you want to upload.
4. Expert > Expert Upload 'On'. You may also want to choose one of the non-standard baud rates here (equal to
Meridian setting). Click OK.
5. Upload > OK > choose 'Base Map Only' > Check 'Upload File'
6. Now uploading will start. With 115200 bps, this will take approximately 30 minutes.
That's it! When the upload is finished you will again have your basemap in the Magellan. Your unit may need
initialization.
AnswerID: 21191

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:00

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:00
Thanks Des. I got it sorted out.
AnswerID: 21209

Sponsored Links