New alcohol laws on the Cape

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:13
ThreadID: 5088 Views:2279 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Printed in the "Cairns Post" this am. "The Archer River Roadhouse is the last alcohol outlet before hitting dry aboriginal communities to the North. The worst aspect of Lockhart Rivers ban on take away alcohol was that tourists planning to travel through the community land to reach a favorite fishing or camping spot now risk a sly grogging fine if caught with alcohol on board. They also risk having their vehicles confiscated. There would be at least 1,000 tourists a year that visit Chillie Bch but what are they going to say if they are fined for carrying even a bottle of wine. Former Cook Shire Mayor said he had no problem with communities wanting to be grog free, but it was not fair to impose the same restrictions on tourists passing through" Lets hope common sense prevails with this. The scary part of this is 2 guys who had been fishing all night on the reef called in behind Green Island to clean their catch in calm water and dangled a handline whilst doing so unaware that they were just within the boundary of a National Park. They were heavily fined and their boat and gear confiscated.

Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:54

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:54
Thanks for that Rob, have a few friends going up to the cape soon so they will be interested in this. Regards Bruce.Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
AnswerID: 20873

Follow Up By: GOB vic - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:37

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:37
rob i think there was a warning about this in the road warnings for nth qland and i wondered at the time about it seems like the evening brew for some may disappear 89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
FollowupID: 13474

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:55

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:55
It would be interesting to see what the Act actually states instead of relying on reported scare mongering by creative newspaper reporting. What has to be proven is that alcohol has been taken into a community with the intent to supply. These notices have been around in the Northern Territory for the past 28 years yet I have never heard of a tourist having his/her vehicle confiscated for sly-grog supply.

Maybe a Forum reader can source the Law for us to clear up the matter.

As for the bloke getting caught fishing in an exclusion zone.......ignorance is not an excuse and that is a very old adage!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 20883

Follow Up By: ERic from Cape York Connections - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:44

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:44
Willem I was just talking to Peter and said the same he was there 3 days ago . He said if you are selling to the locals thats were the trouble will begin .
all the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
07 4094 1745
02 42 943496
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 13477

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 22:55

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 22:55
Rob,
I think most reasonable people will appreciate you informing them of the Lockard River Communities endevours to assist themselves to overcome the social problems they have.
Having visited the community and seen first hand the conditions associated with life in an isolated area with cronic unemployment, alcohol and substance abuse I believe we should respect and abide with their wishes.
Relying on your post if this ban includes the Iron Range national park Chilli Beach area and not just the Lockhart River Community thats fine. If they control this area they have the same rights to put restrictions as any one else over their land.
The leaseholders that closed the Stones Crossing route to the Cape exerted their rights to close the track i dont like it but its their land.
We see people bleating about ignorance of the law all the time, scary I dont think so.

regards peter
AnswerID: 20893

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 08:53

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 08:53
Looks like this could be a beat-up. Rang the ranger at Lockhaart "all" options to help control alcohol consumption in the communities are being looked at nothing has changed and may not.
There are no restrictions in place.

regards peter
AnswerID: 20917

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 23:29

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 23:29
Rob: disappointed to see that u are so worried about the law all of a sudden !!
"now risk a sly grogging fine if caught with alcohol on board"

As you would know 'sly grogging' is a completely different activity to carrying a few cans of beer for personal consumption... as usual the 'Red Neck' element is predominant in your post and your press clippings/quotes only put you on a low level ... you have not had the guts to put your comments on this page but then of course you don't have to !! your quoting of others show how spineless some of the commentators on this site can be,, or maybe all that XXXX is the problem
AnswerID: 21032

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:49

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:49
All I did was quote an article from our news paper to let people know what was happening up this way at this time. Ignorance is no excuse I agree, I was therefore trying to make people aware. I gave no personal opinion on the matter except to say let commonsense prevail. Not sure where you are coming from here Steve? worried about the law all of a sudden !! ?? Please explain. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 13611

Reply By: David N. - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:03

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:03
Firstly I find the whole story hard to believe...
I like my glass or two of red at the end of each day. If I ever got "done" for that in MY country I'm afraid I'd take the case to the highest court in the land- even if it broke me financially. This country is NOT run by the Arabs YET. It's that simple! We do have some rights and they must be protected at all costs.
AnswerID: 21039

Reply By: David N. - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:03

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:03
Firstly I find the whole story hard to believe...
I like my glass or two of red at the end of each day. If I ever got "done" for that in MY country I'm afraid I'd take the case to the highest court in the land- even if it broke me financially. This country is NOT run by the Arabs YET. It's that simple! We do have some rights and they must be protected at all costs.
AnswerID: 21040

Sponsored Links