recovery point gu

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 13:49
ThreadID: 5100 Views:1964 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
was wondering how to get an extra recovery point to front of truck similar to factory point for 98 patrol. Been told Arb points do not fit chassis holes.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 15:38

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 15:38
Yeh i found out the hard way. I use tie down point with D shackel told it was strong enough by Nissan & othersRegards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 20939

Reply By: theratt - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 23:40

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 23:40
why bother the patrol shouldnt get stuck
AnswerID: 20968

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 17:33

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 17:33
You mean the ARB Hooks wont fit the GU Chassis holes?

what about other brands? I would have thought they would be some form of standard spacing?@!
AnswerID: 21000

Reply By: duncs - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:06

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:06
Topcat12

Who told you the ARB ones don't fit? I would be suprised by that.

Simple way to check, drive to your local ARB outlet and ask if you can try one on. You don't have to fit it just hold up in place and take a look.

Duncs
AnswerID: 21096

Reply By: Pete G - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:04

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:04
Both a Nissan dealer and 4WD shop have told me that the standard Nissan GU points were OK for recovery - yeah well now I don't feel too comfortable.

OK Folks it is time to sort the bull---- from the hay.

I recently was pointed to the site Pirate4x4.com for the recovery bible. From what is contained here it can easily take a pull of Loaded Weight plus 50% gently applied to recover a vehicle. At Easter I saw with my own eyes a guy get into serious trouble despite him seemingly being well equipped with a winch - naturally mounted on front of vehicle. (won't go into that anymore now suffice to say that being unable to winch back the way he went in, the whole vehicle ended up down bank hanging from the winch cable and resting against a tree. He had buggered the clutch in the winch in the process)

It was this situation that makes one think about things - he did not have a snatch block or for that matter enough gear to rig himself out of the initial predicament which subsequently got worse and worse. In actual fact looking at the contents of the average retail pack of recovery gear one has to wonder. The importance of understanding the loads applied and the ratings of the gear cannot be under-estimated. Even the professional recovery that was engaged by him arrived without enough gear!!!.

Enough said can anyone please advise what loads the standard Nissan front point and the rear eye (on step under doors) are rated for.???.

From the info seen in the above website anything under 5.0ton SWL would be pretty risky. On top of this one would have to factor in any additional loading due to snatching techniques.

Regards

PeteG (member but don't advertise fact)
AnswerID: 21124

Reply By: Member - Richard - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:41

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:41
Topcat it is not a tough one. ARB make an adaptor plate for both left and right hand side of the front chassis rail. Once you bolt this on you can fit standard recovery hooks with the spring steel lock and there you have it twin recovery points. The GU has captivated nuts on both chassis rails to allow for installation of the factory bull bar, so on muy GU I removed the original and used the 3 captivated nuts and bolts for the bull bar, I use a bridle for recovery and have had no problems.
Catch you later!
AnswerID: 21159

Sponsored Links