Walcott Inlet Kimberley

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 20:43
ThreadID: 5104 Views:2812 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled into Walcott Inlet in the Kimberley if so we would appreciate all the info possible, we will be heading there July August.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 11:34

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 11:34
We are going to e up there about that time and heading through to Walcott.
I contacted the owners of Mt Elizabeth Sation and they charge a fee to use the track. We intend going in one way & out another, check the maps. Hopefully will get some barra and jacks out there. Attached is a web contact you can ask any questions you may have from them directly, they seem quite obliging. Good luck & we may see you on the track
http://www.comswest.net.au/~ricannbt/Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 20990

Follow Up By: Midge - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:55

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:55
Thanks for the reply, might see you on our travels be towards end of July I think when were heading through there
FollowupID: 13754

Reply By: Member - Dave- Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:26

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:26
Midge

Have not done it yet but arrive in Broome 7 August and Walcott Inlet it is on our list of must do things. Doing WA coast first, then across to NT, and down through the centre. I believe that track is very rough and the camping ground halfway to the inlet you must get permission to use it from a tour group that have the rights. I have been told (not sure if true) that they limit the amount of people using the track at the one time. Only have four firm dates for the trip, start, finish, Broome (so best mate can pick up his mother in law from plane, Darwin, (to put her back on plane) so I may pass you on the track or in the general area. Are you the same Midge whose got the car for sale from Dareton. Not that many people would know where Dareton is but it is our first stop over on the trip as I used to live there in Alby's flats behind the shops. Will be staying with people from Balcatherine Station. I left there at the end of 1992. Curious as to wether we know each other or not.

Dave
AnswerID: 21020

Follow Up By: Midge - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:53

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:53
Thanks for the info on Walcott, yeh were the ones that are selling the discovery, it will be a terrific buy for the right person, we have got a block of Hollands Lake rd been here since 1990, but were here previous to that on and off for years We are leaving here 7th July and will be on the road for 8 weeks we might see you on the travels, we will be towing a campermatic camper with us so I hope we don't have any hassles on the track, you might know some of my relos from up here Johny Lynley Halls Betsy and Brian Freeman Ross and Dawn Robertson there is a few more our names are Pam and Wolf Hopfner, see you on the road
FollowupID: 13752

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:04

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:04
Midge,

A neighbour did it about 10 years ago. I've seen his home video...looks a hell of a trip. He had to really push through some overgrown sections of the track but I suspect it gets a lot more use these days. Enjoy!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 21068

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:44
We have done the trip to Walcott Inlet several times.
During July-August the track should be reasonably well dried out.
However you are still likely to get some boggy sections a couple of hours out of Mt Elizabeth station.
If you enter the track via Mt Elizabeth station you will have to call in at the station.
Peter Lacey, at the Station, knows the country and prevailing conditions like the back of his hand.
He also has a camp site on the Charnley River and a toilet facility.
There is a charge per car payable at Mt Elizabeth Station.
There is an alternative track through Beverly Springs Station, but this track also has boggy sections and is considerably rougher, we had to rebuild about a kilometer of the track where it was completely washed out.
Fees are also payable at Beverly Springs.
Fishing is great, may be a bit late or early, depending on which side of the wet season, for Barra
If you want more info, get me on nsbc@bigpond.com

Good luckJust made it, King Edward River
AnswerID: 21113

Sponsored Links