cape york

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 00:04
ThreadID: 5114 Views:1787 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, heading to Cape York,then Normanton,Cloncurry,Boulia,AliceSprings,then
through the Simpson to Birdsville in two weeks 7th June.Would appreciate any info
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 08:11

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 08:11
Dave, For the Simpson I suggest the following:
Don't go alone, Take plenty of water and fuel enough for several more days than you plan and then extra for emergencies, Take Sat phone/HF radio, Don't be surprised if it's closed!! Don't tow a trailer. Enjoy the scenery!
AnswerID: 21044

Follow Up By: Mick - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 08:18

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 08:18
A bit more has come to mind Dave The SA gov have a good website for desert parks - a quick search will find it for you. They have a hotline for Simpson info 1800816078. Take a good compressor and tyre guage. You don't want to spend half an hour pumping tyres up!! Take sufficient to allow for at least 2 punctures (I took 2 spare wheels but some take tyre mending stuff)
FollowupID: 13613

Follow Up By: duncs - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:57

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:57
Mick

You say don't tow a trailer in the Simpson, why not? I know plenty of people who have done it with trailers ans had no problems.

Duncs
FollowupID: 13659

Reply By: Mick - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:33

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:33
Duncs, lots of people do lots of irresponsible things but that doesn't make them OK. Towing trailers in areas like the Simpson is environmentally reckless, discouraged strongly by authorities and frought with danger - you should see all the abandoned trailers there!!! Mind you I am talking about the French Line and maybe you are referring to the Rig Road where of course you could take the Commodore and caravan!! Tread lightly!!
AnswerID: 21155

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:23

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:23
Mick,

I was asking because I tow a trailer, and have been doing so for about 7 years. Its been all over the place and has only caused one problem when I got stuck in a bog near the Palmer River. My untrailered mate got stuck in the same hole. So Im not convinced we can blame the trailer.

Whilst on the Cape I met a guy who had over 4tonne on his trucK, carried on just two axles. I carry a similar weight but spread over three axles. On the Cape Yorke trip this guy got stuck in places I just drove through.

I know what you mean about trailers littering the sides of tracks, I have seen that myself, but a properly constructed trailer that is well maintained need not cause any more problems or damage to the environment than any other vehicle.

On the other hand an overloaded vehicle with heaps of gear on the roofrack is dangerous to the occupants and does cause heaps of damage everywhere it goes. Add to that a 4x4 that gets no maintenance and it can contribute to the litter at the side of the road. I have seen that too. The car doesn't get left there because people need them to get home and they can be traced.

iguess what Im saying is, my purose built trailer which is well maintained will continue to follow me on everry trip.

Duncs
FollowupID: 13775

Follow Up By: Mick - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 18:12

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 18:12
Duncs I am no more in favour of overloaded vehicles than I am of trailers in fragile/difficult areas. I tow a van weighing about 1500kg. I tow it only on sealed roads. I have no problem with you towing on outback, unsealed roads and tracks. I take a tent to those places and I don't overload my vehicle. I don't think trailers should be taken in areas like the Simpson Desert and that was all I was saying in my first reply.
FollowupID: 13801

Reply By: Slammin - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:44
I enjoy Mt Isa - Urandangie - Tobermorey then Alice. Heaps to see check out travelmate.com.au Isa is worth a look if you haven't b4 (your not an ozzie till u've been to Isa - or so the add goes!).

BTW Cairns - Mt garnett - Hughenden or Townsville - C'curry I prefer the former.

Have a good trip let us all know how u went.

Lucky b--------!
AnswerID: 21176

Sponsored Links