OziExplorer - advice needed

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:54
ThreadID: 5121 Views:2527 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Recently acquired Raster Maps and OziExplorer but having a little trouble figuring our how to make a seemless track if it involves more than one map. eg. Cape York from Cairns region uses about 15-20 separate Raster maps so if I'm plotting on one map I can pull in adjoining maps but is it possible to join them into one big seemless map so I don't have to keep going from one to the other??? Or am I missing something obvious????

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:05

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:05
Melissa i don't think you can make 1 map . With moving map it changes map automatically. If you are putting your own route i think you have to change maps manually. I just use moving map to find way & add waypoints as i won't.
lol
bob
Regards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 21075

Follow Up By: Member - Ari - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 05:10

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 05:10
Bob you're right.
Rather than trying to merge or join the maps, you need to set corner markers for the maps.
Ozi will then automatically bring up the next one, once you come out to the marker2001 Patrol 3.0TDI
FollowupID: 13974

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:18

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:18
Melissa,

You could use something like photoshop or another photo stitching package to stitch the individual raster files into one. Unsure how this would effect the overall calibration of the resulting file though when you bring it into OziExplorer and create the map file. And you would end up with a large graphics file which would impact on performance.

As Bob said, probly best to manually create the track. Start off on your starting map, then, as you reach the border of one map, simply use the map navigation tool to select the map next to it (left, right, up, down). It will automatically load in the right spot. Then once you are finished, simply save the *.map file. It should then work with Moving Map. This would be the best for overall performance.

chers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 21077

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:43

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:43
I should have added that this is whilst you are plotting your track.

You will find that once you reach the border of one map when plotting your track, and then you change raster files, part of the track will still be visible but will look like its off the edge of the map.

Once you have plotted the track file, you can then save it and load it onto any calibrated map file in OziEplorer. For example, you could load the demo map of Australia that comes with OziExplorer (or is at least downloadable from the web site) and then load the track file onto it. It will be infinately smaller than on the raster maps you scanned in, but you could see your path in terms of the whole of Australia rather than just in terms of the localised area shown on the raster maps you obtained.

I think the trick is to think of the track file as another layer.
The base layer being the raster file, the next layer being the *.map file with all the calibration data, and then finally, your other layers that are track files, waypoints etc - these other layers not actually being part of the *.map file as such. OziExplorer is simply a facility that allows you to bring all these layers (individual files) and display them together.

Hope this hasn't confused you.

cheers,
Sam
FollowupID: 13651

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:26

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:26
Melissa, both BJ and Sam are right. The question has been "done to death" on the Ozi users yahoo group. You cannot, without significant effort, and calibration issues, make a seamless map from multiple maps.

If you do what Sam suggests, and set the Moving Map parametres up correctly in Ozi, Moving Map will automaticaly provide the next map.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 21078

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:39

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:39
Thanks Guys,

I guess its back to using single maps then. But I like the idea of being able to move between them in moving maps. Ta.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 21080

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:10

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:10
My next epic is getting ozi ce working on the iPac instead of using the laptopRegards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
FollowupID: 13660

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 03:02

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 03:02
Melissa,
You can successfully join a series of good maps if you use PanaVue http://www.panavue.com/. I have not had much success joining the average road map because their scaling leaves something to be desired.

After you join them you then have to load them into OziExplorer and calibrate them using the calibrate feature. I find it best to calibrate the map in the part of the map where I plan to travel.

I have successfully made up a map of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia using this method. If the map is too big it is harder to get a consistant calibration.

So far I have not managed to get lost with the map which resulted from the joining.

Hope this helps

Dick in Phuket, Thailand
FollowupID: 13721

Follow Up By: wazza - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:12

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:12
G'day Dick,

Hopefully you come back to this post and see this. Was wondering how you found the maps of Thailand. I am a navigator on a seismic boat with a heap of guys who live in Phuket . You probrably know half of them. A few of them here said they are envious of you as they have never been able to find a decent quality road map of Thailand. They were wondering if you could email me a screen shot of a typical area, or put us onto what map/website you used to source the image files. They became interested when I loaded my copy of OziExplorer onto a pc here and integrated it with our vessel's nav system. We left Port Moresby yesterday and are going across the top of Cape York tomorrow on our way to China for our next survey. OziExplorer shows where we are at a glance better than any of the other systems on board here.

Thanks and regards,

Warren
wazzagray@yahoo.co.uk
FollowupID: 13758

Reply By: Member - Mike (SA) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:44
Melissa,

If you are still confused after reading the info (which isn correct) above I recommend you use the very good users group at;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/

All levels of expertise on site

regards

MikeToo little time in the bush!
AnswerID: 21103

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:11

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:11
which part of the info isn't correct?
FollowupID: 13672

Follow Up By: Member - Mike (SA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 09:07

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 09:07
Typo - my input should not have had an "n"! Apologies. It IS correct!
Too little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 13729

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:02

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:02
hehehe

no worries Mike

you had me going back and working through my own instructions though ;-)

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 13733

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:25
Jeez Mike, you could have been "in for it" with that one. BTW, the Yahoo group you refer to is where I got my info. Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13796

Sponsored Links