Home page or web site?

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:40
ThreadID: 5123 Views:1787 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This may be the dumbest question of all time but what is the diferance between a home page and a web site ?? I am wanting to set up a place that our group can go to see up to date trip times and details instead of phoning all the time ,also wish to be able to post items of interest and photos on it ,as by the question you can tell I am no wiz about this stuff I need an easy system this is to be an info site rather that a business site .Ideas on cost or contacts would be helpfullBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:45

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:45
Peter, my understanding is that "home page" is your opening page. That is, the first page everyone sees when visiting your site. "Web-site" refers to the entire group of pages you have published linking to, or subordinate to, your home page. A web-site may consist of only the home page, or many pages.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 21081

Reply By: Member - Dave (Pilbara) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:57

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:57
Most internet providers will allow you a free small web site. Ie as many pages as you can fit in their limit. be carefull though as most have down load limits. that is every time someone down loads content from your site.
Different providers have different size limit etc. If the site grows ( as they tend to do) you may have to look at a payment for content etc.
Look on the web ite of who ever your provider is you should find their terms listed somewere.
AnswerID: 21086

Reply By: SimonIT - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:58

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:58
Hi Peter,

In regard to cost and contacts, you wish to have your own domain? That is, do you want people to go to www.yourwebsite.com.au (replace yourwebsite with whatever) or are you happy to go to users.bigpond.com/yourname for example.

If you don't care about having your own domain name, most ISP's provide at least 10Mb of allocated space for personal websites when you sign up with them (no extra cost involved). You can then use a program such as Microsoft Frontpage to develop your site at home and then publish it to this space (a pretty simple process once setup).

If, however, you want your own domain then there are costs involved in registering the name (approx. $150 per 2 years), and the cost of having it hosted (eg. OzHosting approx. $35 per month). There is also a difference if you're trying to register a .org.au or a .com.au address for example.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much. If you want more info, either post back or contact me directly at mail@simonit.com.au.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 21087

Follow Up By: Member - Topcat - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:09

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:09
If you are with Iinet it costs you $40.00 a year to register your domain name & a web site of 35 meg. download space. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 13681

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:44
Hi Peter,

Another option is to start a group in Yahoo or MSN. You can limit membership to those you approve so it doesn't have to be an open group. With groups you get all the basics such as home page, messages, calender, photo album, files etc. Pretty straightforward to use and manage and you don't have to have any special skills to build a web-page or the like. No cost either.

You've been to the WA campertrailer group in Yahoo so you know what I'm talking about.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 21104

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:55

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:55
Peter,

The difference is mainly MONEY.

A Homepage you can usually get for free. You will be allocated an amount of web space and a limit on downloads.

A Website can cost you a DOMAIN NAME, (like mine) and web hosting fee which will include X amount of of web space and a generous allowance for downloads.

You may also have a website without having a Domain NameCheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 21135

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:28

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:28
www.geocities.com

register there, and they have a WIZARD that you can use to make your homepage

You get an annoying ad that pops up, but thats the price you pay.

There are some programs around like Hotdog that are SIMPLE... also Homesite is available on a load of Warez sites.... its really EASY to use.

Have fun, once hooked on a site you will keep going and growing with it

if you need any help with it get me on ICQ, MSN or Yahoo messenger... or Email me, I'll attempt to help you with it from here in melbourne.
AnswerID: 21169

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:57

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:57
If your lookin for VERY good Website hosting, cheap and also has a Granny proof Wizard (Meaning Granny could use it!) www.ooa.com.au
Steve Roly is the man.

He hosts my site www.gqpatrol.com and its VERY FAST !! Also Ive had a play with his wizard, and yes, it is very fool proof. Worth a try if your learning.

I taught myself HTML, and stuff, by viewing the code on pages and then seeing what does what, and using what I want by copying and pasting it to my own test page! that was 6yrs ago now...
AnswerID: 21208

Sponsored Links