Long range tanks on Disco 1

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:00
ThreadID: 5128 Views:2787 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience's with sill tanks on a Discovery TDI300. I am looking at this option rather than carrying jerries on a Simpson trip. The tanks I am looking at are 45litre & sit between the sill & chassis, one will be used for water. I am concerned about reduced clearance & the fact that you have to fill them from within the rear wheel arches. No pic's anywhere it seems, would appreciate any comments good or bad. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kelly Green - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:09

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:09
I have Series 1 Disco V8 with Brown Davis 2 x aux sill fuel tanks, no problems with clearance for us and we have been to the Simpson, filling through rear wheel is not really a problem, make sure fuel side is the same side as the filler access to main tank side. Something to consider is if you do not have an aftermarket suspension (& raised slightly from original) and are carrying a lot of gear access to the outlet may be compromised. Also make sure hosing between the main & aux is long enough we had a problem with the hosing shrinking.

Enjoy the Simpson
WKR
Kelly
AnswerID: 21128

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:47

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:47
I had two 50L sill tanks from 4WD Systems in Adelaide on my Discovery. Great tanks and loved the plumbing into the main tank's filler hose - so I only had one place to put fuel into. Each tank had a separate fuel guage sender that was wired into the vehicles original fuel guage - flip a 3 position switch and you could see the level of each tank. A separate switch controlled the auxilliary fuel pump which could pump from either tank to the main. Took about 25 minutes to pump an aux tank empty.

I cracked a weld on one tank on the CSR which was fixed under warranty, no questions asked. Also repeated the process on the GRR/Kimberley and again fixed free of charge - along with the addition of neoprene (I think) mounting bushes to allow a little flexibility in the tank mounting system - a design improvement since I purchased mine.

The 190 litres of diesel onboard gave me a range of over 1800KM on sealed roads.

Thoroughly recommended.
Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 21194

Sponsored Links