dual battery system for 03 turbo hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:21
ThreadID: 5145 Views:3105 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have a new hilux that I would like to fit out with dual battery system. mainly to run extra camp light, uhf radio, fridge etc " no winch yet" I was looking at a piranha outfit.
Any suggestions for DIY or should I forkout the extra $220 qouted to fit it.
Any suggestions on other brands.

Cheers
steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squid - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:50

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:50
G'day Steve,
If you use the search funtion on this site you will find plenty of great information on many different brands.
Piranha and Rotronics are popular units and seem to work well, but seem quite expensive, especially the Rotronics unit, but I guess you often get what you pay for. However, it is probably worthwhile you check out Redarc which is considerably cheaper and has been recommended by a number of people on this site. Redarc is the system fitted by most autoelectricians.
As for DIY if you have the know how go for it, and put that money towards a winch.

Cheers,
Simon."Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."
AnswerID: 21262

Reply By: Squid - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:51

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:51
G'day Steve,
If you use the search function on this site you will find plenty of great information on many different brands.
Piranha and Rotronics are popular units and seem to work well, but seem quite expensive, especially the Rotronics unit, but I guess you often get what you pay for. However, it is probably worthwhile you check out Redarc which is considerably cheaper and has been recommended by a number of people on this site. Redarc is the system fitted by most autoelectricians.
As for DIY if you have the know how go for it, and put that money towards a winch.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 21263

Follow Up By: Squid - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 05:53
Sorry Steve I got a bit trigger happy. Perhaps David can delete this second post for me.
Thanks,
FollowupID: 13840

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 18:39

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 18:39
Steve,

The under bonnet space is extremely limited hence you can only fit a small aux battery (225mm long) so dont expect to run too much for too long. I am currently in the process of upgrading the aux battery size and mounting it in the back. I have a Rotronics MH 10 which seems to work OK. but the aux. cannot be of greater capacity than your starting battery.

Graham
AnswerID: 21303

Follow Up By: Marty - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:06

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:06
I bought a Redarc battery isolator last week from a guy on the Overlander forum and fitted it at the weekend to the Navara
I made a bracket at work for the 100 amp deep cycle to fit under the tray.
The wiring took me 1 1/2 hours and is simple
The guy who sold me the unit send good instructions and was easy peasy
The Redarc cost me $120 including Aussie Post Air Express delivery
Look under the 4WD Stuff For Sale
FollowupID: 13894

Sponsored Links