UNICHIP for a PRADO 3.4L

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:01
ThreadID: 5160 Views:5826 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone installed a UNICIP or similar on a 3.4 L V6 Prado. What gains if any are there?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 21:47

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 21:47
Hi Steve,
I put one on mine in conjunction with a free flow exhaust. Dyno results showed additional 10% at the top end due to exhaust, and 10% across the rev range from the unichip. i.e. at higher revs, got about 20% increase, from 90 hp at the wheels to 110 (roughly). Economy quite good too. Happy to discuss further if you wish.
Russell S.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 21334

Follow Up By: steve - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 19:47

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 19:47
Russell S.....when you say a 'free flow' exhaust, do you mean a larger system..ie 3" etc. How much approx for the exhaust and Unichip?

Steve
FollowupID: 13954

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 10:19

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 10:19
Steve,
I can't recall the diameter, and I'm not very mobile at present so can't look for you. Will check when I can. I do know that they replaced the exhaust system from the Cat back, which reduced the restriction, whether through larger pipe size or more open muffler design - it sounds louder now, but how much does that mean??

As far as cost goes, it was getting up near $1800 or so for Unichip, dyno time, exhaust etc. I also got an extra feature - a switch which allows you to use normal unleaded if you can't get Optimax/Mobil 8000. The Unichip is tuned for Optimax, but flicking the switch knocks the tops off the peaks so that it won't ping on normal unleaded. I thought that was a good idea since it's hard to get premium unleaded in some remote places. Proved to be a wise choice, since I didn't see Optimax west of Emerald, although it might have become more available since 2001.

The big questions - is it worth it? and do you notice the difference? We think it made a reasonable difference, particularly when we changed tyre sizes from the RV6 standard 215/80 R16 to 265/70 R16. We also seem to be able to tow the camper trailer quite well with it. I think you need to keep the car for a while after doing it, and get someone good to install it. Bob Romano in Brisbane did mine. As I found out with my Falcon, there are tuners and tuners out there, and a 'free flow' exhaust and a 'high flow' cat doesn't necessarily mean greater power output.

I'm rambling a bit, but I should also mention the other option for powering up - the supercharger..... The Toyota Racing Development mob in the US produce a supercharger kit specifically for the 3.4 Prado motor which would push power output to 200Kw or more. You'd still need a unichip etc, but she would go then! Trouble is the cost - 8 or 9 grand. I decided not to do that because I want to get into a diesel platform, and my Prado already has 120,000 km on it.

If you want the dyno chart, send me an email at fischpond@iprimus.com.au with your address or fax number, and I'll get it to you. Also happy to post it here, but would need help to do that.
Cheers.
Russell S.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 13980

Reply By: Hardy - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 17:54

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 17:54
Sorry to ask a question on someones elses querry but anyway. Stupid question I know but can you get such chips for the diesel Prados. Cheers H
AnswerID: 21398

Follow Up By: ray91 - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 00:54

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 00:54
YES unichip also new ditronic for the diesel .Look in the 4x4 mags there is several different makes.
FollowupID: 13970

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 10:23

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 10:23
My understanding is that the people who made Unichip make the Dtronic. When I asked APS, I think they said that they're still developing the Dtronic for the Prado, but it should be out soon. And, as Ray says, there's a few others on the bandwagon too, so check them out too.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 13981

Sponsored Links