canning stock route

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 16:59
ThreadID: 5173 Views:1651 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
We are doing the Canning ,South to North mid June.Three adults in 100 series Land Cruiser Sahara TD AUTO.
If someone could help me with the following questions it would be appreciated.
Allowing for a little bit of sight seeing ,approx how much fuel would I need for the following sections ?
Willuna to Well23
Well 23 to Kunawaritji
Kunawartiji to Billiluna
We would also like estimated travel times for the same sections, both taking our time and or pushing along a bit .
THANKS
JEFF.O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:07

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:07
Sounds like you want somebody to do all the work for you? Check your maps, work on 5 km/litre, and do the math. 21 days is comfortable although it can be done in 9 days. Take your pick.
AnswerID: 21410

Follow Up By: JEFF.O - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 13:54

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 13:54
DESERT.
I have just recently discovered this web site and have become a member. I have done some work on planning this trip, and since discovering this site.I thought I would draw on the experience of some of the members to confirm my estimates.
I have travelled extensively through outback Aussie ,but have not done much on sand.
I thank you for your assistance .

REGARDS
JEFF.O
FollowupID: 13984

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:32

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:32
If you go to Trip Planning in the menu bar - Fuel Consumption thread. Check your vehicle against what others have recorded. If you can't find exactly a CSR comparison use a similar desert trek. These will be acurate figures & don't forget to allow a margin of error for safety. Check the distances on your maps and multiply it out. Remember your running with low pressure in the tyres.
With only two weeks to go I can't believe you are asking questions like this. Most people I know spend two years planning this trip.
Have you arranged for a fuel drop ???Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 21414

Follow Up By: JEFF.O - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 14:31

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 14:31
COCKA
Thanks tor your reply
We have been planning our trip for about 1 year.The questions I am asking is to confirm what we have planned.
We were originally 3 vehicles. This changed to 1 owing to work commitments of some of our group.Travel time is important to a couple of our group.
As late as this morning ,we are again 3 vehicles.
We have arranged a fuel drop .
We have limited experience on sand,and not sure of travel times,Desert has assisted here.
I have towed a 2 tonne caravan with my vehicle and got 5.5km per litre. I took this figure as a guide.
I could not find any one that has done this trip with an auto diesel. From the info I have got from DESERT I don't think I will be much off the mark.
Thanks for your your help
JEFF.O
FollowupID: 13986

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:21
As a rule of thumb you can double your fuel consumption to what you normally get, when you drive the Canning.

Check out my website www.kempen.id.au Go to 4x4 then click on Canning. We did a North/South and in a petrol vehicle. This may not help you much but you may find something of interest.

If you do the full Canning in under three weeks then you will miss the essence of the trip. The drive is a hard one especially when driving up dunes where the track has been scalloped out.

Anyway....have fun.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 21766

Follow Up By: JEFF.O - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 20:40
WILLEM
Checked out your site.
Sure looks like you enjoyed your trip down the canning.
We look like having about 17 -18 days to do this trip,if we have to hurry up a bit, at least it will give those that have the time to do it again a look at what to expect.
THANKS
JEFF.O
FollowupID: 14280

Sponsored Links