Mt Woodroffe

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2003 at 16:59
ThreadID: 5190 Views:5608 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any one knows anything about access to Mt Woodroffe, SA's highest point.

It is south east of Ayres Rock and I was wondering if it was a worthwhile excursion on the return from the rock to PT Augusta.

Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 00:04

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 00:04
Duncs

I have no first hand knowledge, but I do understand that is in the Pit. Lands, and so would require a permit to visit from that community. I have heard of gudied walking parties that have been in that area - dunno about vehicles. I am also of the understanding that it is very attractive country in the scenic sense.

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 21496

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 09:01

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 09:01
Duncs it is a great area to visit. I've been told that vehicle acces is OK but don't take a trailer into the area.
AnswerID: 21501

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:52

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:52
Duncs, 08 8950 1511 is the number for the Anangu Pitjantjatjara land council. You must have a permit from them to enter the general area. I have travelled from Pipalyatjara past Amata to Mulga Park, and up to Uluru but not past Fregon on the road that passes to the south of Mount Woodroffe. It looks like Ernabella may be the closest community to MtW- perhaps phone them and ask about access. I have a strong suspicion that even if you get a permit it will allow you to travel on the roads only. In particular, they don't like people climbing on landforms because of their spiritual significance. We were warned that the locals tend to take things into their own hands and it wouldn't be the first time they trashed a 4WD belonging to an unwelcome visitor. Whether thats true or not I can't say - but it certainly made us careful to stick to the roads. Sometimes I think it would be easier to visit North Korea or Iraq than parts of our own country.
AnswerID: 21568

Sponsored Links