Camping at Onslow WA?

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 13:40
ThreadID: 5196 Views:10774 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Searched and couldn't find a single post regarding camping at Onslow. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if there is any good camping or 4wd'ing there. Any beaches worth visiting or other spots around or close to Onslow? Or alternatively does anyone know of any good coastal spots between Karratha and Onslow? While I'm on a roll, are there any coast spots between Karratha and Pt Hedland that can be accessed.
I'm based in Karratha and looking for weekend type trips. Any info greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hedonist - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 16:07

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 16:07
Russell,

You can camp on the bank of the Ashburton river near Old Onslow. Take Twitchin road towards Mindaroo Station and then turn right onto the old Onslow road. If you follow the signs to Old Onslow you can't go wrong.

There is a weir and a concrete causeway accross the river which goes to Urala station (No entry without permission from the landholders). Fairly shady campsites here are pleasant enough, and the ruins of Old Onslow are worth a look. Last time I was there (2000) there were no fees.

Not my favourite spot but there are plenty of regulars who like it.

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 21507

Reply By: lizard - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 18:14

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 18:14
We camped on the Fortescue near Old Onslow last year - at three mile pool (I think it is called ) .... I thought it a top spot (Camper trailer). I did hear that the caravan park was trying to stop camping there ..... also heard do not try going across the causeway into the private station - one bloke staked his tyres on a 'trap'.
AnswerID: 21513

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 23:56

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 23:56
Mmmm yes. The road becomes a private road when it crosses into the Urala pastoral lease and Urala station does not welcome trespassers...
FollowupID: 14050

Reply By: Rookie - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 19:24

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 19:24
Russell,

Go into your local camping store or bookstore and see if you can get a copy of
" A guide to Priceless Campsites & Rest Areas in the North of Western Australia "
it is written by Jan Holland and has every bit of information that you require.

It sells for @ $21.95.

In our camping store they sell like hot cakes.

Cheers

Rookie.
AnswerID: 21652

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:09

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:09
Hi Russell,

Yep, as others have said free camping at 3 Mile Pool on the Ashburton River. This is a top spot, one of our favourites with camping right on the riverbank in the shade of ghost gums. 3 Mile Pool is above the barrage so is fresh water which makes for nice swimming. Also heard the fishing is good here too but can't say personally. Below the barrage you're in the salt water mouth of the Ashburton. Excellent fishing and mud crabbing here, particularly if you have a tinny. Nearby are the Old Onslow ruins, well worth checking out!

Few other places are:

South of Karratha at the mouth of the Fortesque River is James Point. T/O is located immediately north of the Fortesque River bridge on the NW Coastal Hwy. This is a popular spot for fishing and mudcrabbing but camping area is large, open, barren and subject to wind. We once planned to spend a night there but it really didn't appeal to us so we moved on. But, if fishing is you're thing...

Miaree Pool is a lovely place to stop overnight (or longer). It is about 30km's south of Karratha just off the hwy. Free camping beside this freshwater pool on the Maitland River. Good swimming. Highly recommend but it will be busy during peak season.

Cleaverville Beach about 30 north of Karratha is a popular spot for locals for beach/bush camping, fishing, boating and swimming. There is a large open area at the mouth of the Cleaverville River or more isolated campsites spread out along the beachfront. Access is off the highway about 20km's north of Karratha, then about 10km's to the coast on dirt road (corregated but not bad). Eventually you
come to a T-intersection. Go left for the river mouth or right for beach camping. Coastline tends to be rocky but there are stretches of sandy beach north of the river.

Enjoy!

:o) Melissa
Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 21704

Sponsored Links