gps

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:21
ThreadID: 5213 Views:4854 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
which gps do i buy magellan or garmin something i can use without computer input to be able to go off main roads and then to be able to find my way back, no serious off road stuff thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:01

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:01
Either, but make damn sure you do your homework first. You can search on this forum and get loads of info (there's even a section on GPS on this site somewhere).
I'm on my second Garmin and couldn't be happier. just a couple of thjings you should make sure about: It's not absolutely neccessary but an external aerial port may come in handy one day; a means to connect to a computer can also come in handy (software downloads and moving map); a dashboard bracket is mandatory. theres other things too but the message is that, get as many faetures as you can afford 'cos you never know how and when you'll get sucked into the technology. BTW there is a book that has been recently written which is excellent "GPS vehicle navigation in Australia" by Robert Pepper ISBN- 1 876296 22 4. It's written with 4wd in mind. Can be obtained from www.boilingbilly.com.au website.
Anyway enough for now, have fun and don't get lost
AnswerID: 21561

Follow Up By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:07

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:07
Also, make sure you get one that has all the different map datums to choose from. I made the mistake of getting one that was too simple and then found it was useless with topographical maps.
FollowupID: 14071

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:02

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:02
I have owned a Garmin 2 plus and a Magellan 315. Both performed extremely well and I really couldnt fault either from a performance and reliability point of view.

I would recomend a model with an external antenna socket, however there are ways around this too. External power lead is also important to run it from the car. Both these manufactureres have a very good reputation.
AnswerID: 21595

Reply By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:07
This might be interesting for you. A 3G phone with built in GPS beeing released in September. About a rand, but nevertheless, converging appliances. three roams onto Vodafones gprs/gsm network. The phone is beeing released in september. I dont know anymore than whats on the website:
Motorola A920

Jo

http://www.pad.no/
A viking in a desert :-)
AnswerID: 21625

Sponsored Links