Which 4wd????

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:21
ThreadID: 5229 Views:2681 Replies:13 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

We have just started some research into buying a new 4x4.

We have looked at 3 different model/makes and they all look so looovely, but now the hubby is after some "real" feedback - not just what the salesmen provide.

The three we looked at are
1-Prado glx (petrol or diesel)
2-Pajero glx (petrol or diesel)
3-Patrol st 3.0 (diesel)

Off and on road performance, fuel economy, petrol or diesel, comfort, mechanical gremlins that are known, and anything else that you think will help us in our ultimate purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps
Tania

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:37

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:37
Couple of things for your consideration.

In general.

The Patrol is the better offroad, The Pajero On Road, and the Prado a good mix of inbetween.

The Pajero probably has the pick of the Diesel motors. the new Did is an absolute gem. A few issues have cropped up with the Patrol 3.0 diesel that concerns some folk, but they may be on top of it know. The Prado Diesel has been around for quite a while, but is a good honest and reliable motor.

Have you considered the patrol with the 4.2 Turbo diesel. Bit "old hat" but geez, a lot of folks think they are still the business.

What do you want to do with it ??? The Patrol is a better offroad vehicle, but for a lot of folk, probably 90% both the Prado and Pajero will go the same places. IMO the Prado's are grossly overpriced. They are a fine vehicle, but are they worth that much extra ???

My choice would be this. Pajero Did, then Patrol Diesel, then the Prado.

It could boil down to whatever suits you best. Test drive em all, find the best deal. I don't think you'll make a bad decision on any of them.
AnswerID: 21610

Follow Up By: Tang - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:59

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:59
Flappan,

Have to say that we thought the 4.2 Turbo Diesel was a touch to high in price, but we haven't looked at this car that extensively - I guess we will go back to the car yard and pester them again!!!

We would really be only going off-road for 4 weeks a year (hubbys annual holidays), and perhaps some long weekends here and there. And I wouldn't call it really off-road - more like rough dirt tracks!!!! Bit scary for the three kids (and me) doing the "real" off-road stuff!!!

Thanks for your help
Tania

FollowupID: 14104

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:01

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:01
Hi Flappan, i'd reckon that s a pretty fair post of yours.
Regards Michael
FollowupID: 14105

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:49

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:49
Tang, just beware the 4x4 bug. It is lightening fast, has VERY long talons and fangs and injects a mix of adrenalin and (for him) testosterone that carries a protein designed specifically to activate the aforementioned hormones at the slightest hint of 4x4 activity, or even dreaming. Afflicted as such, by the bug, "he" will be unable to resist the desire for tougher tracks, longer journeys and more remote places. It is likely his affliction will be contagious and you suffer similar longings.

I warn you of "the bug" merely so you can be prepared that your statement above - `And I wouldn't call it really off-road - more like rough dirt tracks!!!! Bit scary for the three kids (and me) doing the "real" off-road stuff!!!' - probably won't hold true for long. Don't rely on what is likely to be a short-lived belief, when making your 4x4 choice.

Good luck and have fun deciding.
Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14113

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:09

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:09
The 4.2 Patrol is high in price but is 10 times better than the 3.0 in the GU. The TD42 regularly getting 500,000+klms, where 3.0s are unproven, and also there have been some problems with *SOME* 3.0 GU's.

YMMV...
FollowupID: 14136

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:05
Hi all, there are a few posts here that suggest the patrol 4.2 is a bit overpriced, I reckon its fair value for the vehicle it is, it really doesnt get much better for a go-anywhere vehicle. I think all the patrol range are good value, compare it to the Landcruiser range, now thats taking andvantage of a perceived 'good badge'. $14,000 dearer for a diesel landcruiser against the Patrol, and wont climb as well as a Patrol. I think Patrol is excellent value, all levels. Cheers Michael
FollowupID: 14157

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:13

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:13
Here's a few facts on the Patrol.

1: They, by far, have the greatest towing, and load carrying capacity.
2: They are a much more 'serious' offroader, having rigid axles front and rear.
3: Out of the box, they are a wagon that is a much better tourer than the others.
4: The mechanical problems were mainly in the very early models, and have been rectified.
5: They are by a longshot, better value for money. 50k for the most capeable, and 2nd biggest fourby in oz!! Incluing air!!

The Pajero, I would regard as only a "dirt road tourer", and does not have any real offroad capability, well, not if you want to drive it home in one peice, anyway. It is nice to drive on road, but if that is where you wanted to drive, why bother with a fourby anyway. They are also a bit pricey, and, having a friend who is a Mitsubishi mechanic, I hold doubts about there realiabilty and durability.

The Prado Is a pretty good "crossover". It has reasonable offroad ability, and drives well on road. But, it too is overpriced, and does not have the offroad ability, or "touribility??" of the Patrol. It's best asset in my mind, is the mamoth fuel capacity.

The Patrol, while not quite as good on road as the other's, still ride's and handle's pretty darn well, seeming as we are talking about a 2.5 tonne truck, with rigid axles, and a part time 4x4 system. It is by far a better offraod vehicle, and has a lot more touring ability. And, when you consider, it is markedly cheaper than the other's in equivellant specification, it's no wonder they sell like hot cakes!!

So, if I was in buying, the Patrol would be a hands down winner. It's a great vehicle, at a bloody good price!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 21616

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:48

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:48
I've had two Pajeros and done 100,000km in each without a single problem. That includes most of the well known treks and Australia's roughest roads. In my experience, and from what other owners have said, there is no question about their toughness or reliability. Admittedly, I am not excited by rock crawling, and I don't think the Pajero excels in this regard. But desert/beach/corrugated roads - no problemo. With few exceptions in today's market, it would be hard to buy a dud. The important thing is to know what you really need and buy accordingly. Even a Mazda Tribute might be the right vehicle for some people. I love touring, away from the crowds, so diesel is my preferred fuel. The new generation diesels are Pajero, Jackeroo, Discovery (Audi, BMW, Benz, VW, Range Rover)
FollowupID: 14132

Follow Up By: dixie - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:08
I agree with Bob , i have a 85 lwb 2.6 pajero and my sister has a 92 v6 3.0 lwb and we go everwhere the Landcruisers/Patrols go ,the LARGE rock climbing is a bit of a problem but who really gos climbing rocks that large but the die hard 4x4ers ?? as for sand/mud/dirt etc they perform with the rest of them and i think Pajero has won the awards to prove it too.
FollowupID: 14210

Follow Up By: tristjo - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 14:24
Guy's,

I beleive we are talking about the "new" Pajero's here. I don't doubt for a minute that alot of people have got alot of good use out of the old Paj, but when we are talking new, the storie is different. Comparing your older Pajero's with the brand newies is like comparing apples with oranges.

The new Pajero, for one, is all independently suspended. That means, it is hard to raise, wether for touring or hard offroad, and there is no fixed point under the vehicle, so when offroad, instead of the axle housing being the lowest point because it can never move downwards, the belly of an IS vehicle is very susceptible to groundstrikes, because as the suspension flexes, the whole vehicle moves downwards. It does not have the offroad capability of a rigid axled vehicle, because there is nowhere near enough wheel travel.

The fourwheel drive system, has so many weak links in it. The viscous coupled center diff is one. My Mitsi mechanic mate tells me that when they get hot, they lock up solid, and it becomes a bitch, and almost impossibleto to drive. The new Pajeros also have polyurathane tailshafts. If these get "chipped" or "scraped" offroad, it can take cunks out of the t/s, and as a result, you get chronic diveline vibration, and replacements are not cheap, with the pakaging alone that it is shipped in worth more than $500!!! They also have polyurathane fuel tank's, I beleive.

While I don't doubt that the Pajero is a delightfull vehicle to drive, it just isn't built for Austrailian users/conditions. Might be a great town car, but there is no way in hell I would be relying on it out in the sticks!!

The Pajero's days of being considered as an offroad/touring vehicle are over, in my mind. Give them 5 years, and you will see what I mean.

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 14250

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:29

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:29
Yeah agreed, the 4.2 is a bit pricey, but, It is a tried and tested unit, now with an intercooler, will go all day, and basically tow anything, and go anywhere. The Pick of the bunch.

BUT

You are driving a Truck. Doesn't matter which way you look at it, or put a spin on it, its a bloody big Unit.

The Pajero and Prado are more user friendly in that regard.

Fuel Economy. Not 100% sure but I recall around the 12/13 per 100 ks highway, and a tad more 15/16 for city use from the 3.0 l diesels. They are all pretty similar, so I would believe the fuel economy would be pretty close. The 4.2 would be a little greater, but the benefit would be, I probably wouldn't change much, whether you were towing or not.

If you can Lease the vehicle, the Prado would be well worth looking at, because it appears you can get a FAR better deal this way. They are Too overpriced if your paying cash.

IMV the Pajero is still the pick of the bunch, for what you're looking at.

There are a couple of other alternatives you might consider.

A Diesel Jackaroo or one of the new Diesel Jeep Cherokees.

Which ever you choose, I would certainly be looking at a Diesel.
AnswerID: 21619

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:56

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:56
We have the 3.0tdi Auto patrol 2000 model, suffered a few off the problems you will find if you do a search of archives but probs fixed in current model . Still wouldn't swap ours. City 12ltr/100k's Hway 10ltr/100k's , done several trips Vic High Country, Simpson, plenty of weekend stuff, this year across the Gulf. The Patrol is a Big truck but if i was buying now would buy 3.0ltd again as best value for dollars & will go anywhere you wont to go . Regards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 21621

Reply By: GOB member vic - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:24

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:24
hi tania another thing to consider will you be towing anything, different trucks different payloads check both towing ability and weight on ball if looking for this side of things
steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 21637

Reply By: Member - Bill- Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:45

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:45
Tang,

BTW, I assume you are buying a "new" as opposed to "new to you" 4WD. FWIW, for what you want to do in the 4 weeks a year, IMHO, all the vehicles you are looking at will "do the job". What else you do with it could be the deciding factor. About 5 years ago when I had a job in the city and had to negotiate tight car parks etc, we went hunting a 4WD. We decided on a mid-size because the size, turning circle and so forth. We deemed a Patrol and 'Cruiser too big. We compared and drove the Paj, Prado and Jackaroo. Ended going Jackaroo(petrol) based on features and VALUE and got a great 4yr 120K run out of it. We now have no need to drive our 4WD into the city anymore and have traded the Jack on a 3.0Di Patrol based on VALUE after driving the 100 crusier and ddi Paj. Paj (ddi) diesel is a real goer, but LOUD, both in and out. Great drive on the road around town though, better than the Patrol by a margin.

So it's horses for courses in my opinion. You can still get a Jackaroo (for a GREAT price) if you don't have to have the latest looks and a Pathfinder would be worth a look if you can live with something a little smaller.

Strictly my 2 bits:

Mainly round town, (realistic) budget no issue: Prado Petrol
Mainly out of town, (realistic) budget no issue: Patrol 3.0Di(Auto) or 4.2 if manual
Mainly round town on a budget: Jackaroo petrol
Mainly out of town on a budget: Patrol Di (still go Auto)
Dark horse: Pathfinder.
AnswerID: 21643

Reply By: Pete G - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 18:30

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 18:30
Tang,
I have a 2000 GU II 3.0 Manual. Mine has now done 130k with the 5th gear and a repl. turbo. The electronic gizmo's on these wagons are not cheap to replace outside warranty (although the others are the same). All said and done they seem to be getting on top of some initial issues. Extended warranty options are a good idea now.

Generally it seems that you are decided on the $$$'s you want to spend.

Suggest that for Heavy Towing and hard slogging the 4.2 is the way to go in a Patrol. This is not to say that the 3.0L is not capable - just that you need to keep a few more rpm's on them versus the low down grunt of the 4.2. This would start to become of concern say offroad on a steep bumpy climb - (they both have same G/Box ratios) and with the 3.0L you tend to be a bit wary about backing off for a bump and letting rpm's drop below the torque point of the motor (2000 rpm). That said and done they dont chuck the towel in either and lug surprisingly well down to about 1500rpm if you feather the pedal carefully.

Some may differ, however, on the open road I have pushed a couple of td 4.2's who dared to pass (not the I/C model) and I think that on road/highway the 3.0L wins out.

Personally diesel is the way to go - over the life of the vehicle I have averaged 11.85l/100km - 15% city/town about 15% dirt & the rest split between 100 & 110 km speed zones. At a steady 100kph you should get 10.5 to 11.0. The final result is upto you - I am happy with mine all things considered.

I am currently going through changeover options and am down to Patrol 4.2, 3.0 and the Prado. My 13yo back seat tester tells me that the Patrol is better in that regard . (The sitting test that is !!).

I know a few guys running the 3.0L tdi Prados and they report no problems with them.

Strongly suggest that you invest in a turbo timer for any turbo diesel - my info is that some of the Patrol 3.0L problems have a common thread of quick shutdowns. Any Heavy Plant Operator/Truckie worth their salt understands the need for the turbo to wind down before switch off. Some may say there are insurance issues/legal issues here - as long as you take the keys and lock up the vehicle won't get too far between the steering loack/immobiliser.

I am of the suspicion that the Prado might hold value better on resale - I think I have erred in not changing over after 2 yrs at about 90k's.

Also check out service intervals - the 4.2 Patrol is every 5000km, the 3.0L is every 10000km (the oil in mine stays clean for the first 5000k's.) Think the Prado is at 5000km (as for Hilux). At about $160 a go at the dealer these can add up. Some may also comment about upgraded filtration/longer change intervals - if you can swing it under warranty then way to go especially if buying for long term.

Happy 4WD'ing

PeteG

AnswerID: 21645

Follow Up By: Pete G - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 18:42

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 18:42
I suppose that I should comment on the "size thing" - I shall leave it to you to check out all the figures - the Patrol is surprisingly compact. In actual fact it stacks up well against the Falcon.

Apart from carparks specifically designed for 2 door hatchback shopping trolleys I have not considered the issue of great concern to me (yeah some of these can still manage to take up 2 spaces).

FollowupID: 14116

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:30

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:30
Pete,

I agree with you on the the size, but mate, we ain't got the best turning circle! (Compared to the IFS brigade).

Regds

BillRegds

Bill
FollowupID: 14129

Follow Up By: Pete G - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:07

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:07
Oh well Bill - you cannot win them all . My 13yo backseat tester has just made my decision for me so I have to work a bit harder in tight spaces. I did start to do some comparo's a few months ago when the anti 4WD brigade was having a bit of a whinge and found a few surprises.

The Patrol is a good all rounder - mate that look on a Commodore drivers face when a diesel passes them going uphill !! - magic. The IFS may ride a bit better but at the price of overall offroad ability.

From what I have got to so far there is not a lot of $$$ between the 4.2 Patrol and the 3.0 tdi Prado.

Regards

PeteG
FollowupID: 14135

Follow Up By: Pete G - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:11
Oh well Bill - you cannot win them all . My 13yo backseat tester has just made my decision for me so I have to work a bit harder in tight spaces. I did start to do some comparo's a few months ago when the anti 4WD brigade was having a bit of a whinge and found a few surprises.

The Patrol is a good all rounder - mate that look on a Commodore drivers face when a diesel passes them going uphill !! - magic. The IFS may ride a bit better but at the price of overall offroad ability.

From what I have got to so far there is not a lot of $$$ between the 4.2 Patrol and the 3.0 tdi Prado.

Regards

PeteG
FollowupID: 14137

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:56

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:56
Tang

The Turbo Diesel option is well worth while if you are going to be doing long trips/and or towing (not good for lots of short trips, say under 10 klms or so, as it gums the engine up).

I drive a 4.2 TD and get around 11.5litres/ 100klms on average.

I would however be very careful installing a Turbo timer especillay if you live in NSW as they are illegal and may negate your insurance.

If you do go TD then check your States requirements re Timers and have a chat with your insurance company re them also.

I echo the thoughts of some of the people responding in as much as any of the three vehicles you are looking at will do the job.

Cheers PT
FollowupID: 14187

Follow Up By: Pete G - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:19
Paul,
Understand what you say - could you please provide some more details if possible - ie reference to regulations etc..

I am aware of the obligation to secure a vehicle - considering that in a GU II Patrol if the key is removed then the steering lock will activate as well as the immobiliser when the timer times out.

The recommendation is 2-3 minutes and usually one is not too far from the vehicle.

Regards

PeteG.
FollowupID: 14190

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 21:30
Pete

I will follow up the NSW States Legislation, however I like most people who drive TDs was concerned with the Overheating issues etc, and spoke with my local dealer re installing the Turbo Timer, they referred me to (dare I say it) Toyota Australia who in turn informed me they cannot recommend the Timers due to NSW legilsation.

I spoke to the local Motor Vehicle registry who confirmed this. I didn't ask for the related regulations, but will follow up as a matter of interest.

I also spoke to my insurer who stated that if I fitted anything illegal to my vehicle it would void the insurance policy.

My understanding from the converations is that the main issue is unattended runing vehicles with the potentail for young children left in the vehicles unsupervised, and knocking the vehicle into gear etc.

I guess from that aspect it makes sense, I don't know how it affects large trucks etc as I am always seeing them running on timers. Maybe kids aren't that common in trucks.

Also after speaking to Toyota re the danger of damaging the Turbo, they indicated that on normal driving, say along a freeway at 110klms/hr then into suburbia at variable speeds there is no great drama.

It is only where the engine is switched off IMMEDIATELY after constant high speed running or constant hard work e.g steep hill climbs in 4x4 etc etc.

So I am now in the habit of waiting in the vehicle for 1 - 2 minutes prior to switching the ignition of.

Hope this helps, however I will as stated follow up the NSW regs.

CheersPT
FollowupID: 14204

Follow Up By: Pete G - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:22

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:22
Paul,

Thanks for that. I cannot share the optimism of Toyota in regard to "there being no great drama "- bear in mind that even in the 'burbs' working through the gears 3000rpm can be reached easily - this is same as about 100 kph.

From a laymans point of view the idle down does two things - it allows equalisation of heat stress on the turbo blades and also a spin down in the rpm's of the shaft. On the grapevine (and this is here-say) I believe there has been a rash of turbo seal failures on NSW Police patrols attributed to lack of idle down.

The point about kids is OK -- but you are not supposed to leave them in the vehicle anyway.

I have found two references in the regs:.
1) http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p12.pdf
Reg. 213 which requires driver to switch off engine and secure vehicle
2) Reg. 291 regarding unecessary noise/smoke.

The complexity of the information is incredible. The above regs appear to be from the Australian Road Rules (which can be modified by each state). There is reference to the NSW Road Traffic (Safety& Traffic Management Act) reg No. 42 - engine to be stopped.

If you are interested, we can pursue this in a separate post or offline.
It seems that common sense is lacking and once again the beauracrats have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Regards

PeteG

FollowupID: 14232

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 18:17
Pete

Only too happy to follow up in another forum. Suggest direct email. However am not quite comfortable providing my email to all and sundry or other contact details to all and sundry.

Can you think of a way to exchange contact details without letting the world know.

Maybe David of Explore Oz could help out.

CheersPT
FollowupID: 14270

Follow Up By: Pete G - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 18:45
PT,

Yeah: It aint easy as whatever we do we may get spammed. Good idea that we see what David can do, this may take some time.

Alternative is to use an intermediary addy - I am working on this - again may take some time.

Please leave it with me - it may take a couple of hours.

Regards

PeteG
FollowupID: 14274

Follow Up By: Pete G - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:26

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:26
Paul,

Please send an email with your addy (or mobile No.) to pewetam@yahoo.com . We can then go on from there. I will be out of action for a few days (unfortunately not 4wd'ing though) so a few days is OK. Have been doing a bit of reading and have a few issues to go to in a lot of detail.

Regards

PeteG
FollowupID: 14332

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:58
Pete

Am trying to forward email at the address provided (pewetam@yahoo.com) but keep getting mail delvery failure notice.

Any clues???PT
FollowupID: 14596

Follow Up By: Pete G - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 18:43
Paul,

Thanks for trying. Have been & checked the Account - my wife set it up & it appears she had not opened it for the first time & set it up fully. If you would like to try again we will see what happens. BTW I did post David at this forum and still await a response.

Regards

PeteG
FollowupID: 14606

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:50
If noise means anything to you....

Of the vehicles you mention, the Pajero TDI is the rattle class leader of the lot.

I agree with the other posts mentioned. I have a Patrol 3.0TD III
AnswerID: 21661

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:47

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:47
All 3 vehicles will do the job. though the patrol will do the job more times.

PS. Some one has to say it " If you want to do it even more times buy a Landcruiser TD."

Regards John
AnswerID: 21674

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:01
do what? repairs? ;)
FollowupID: 14155

Reply By: relaxed (Fraser Coast-QLD) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:58

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 22:58
Tania, I have the Patrol 3lt TD with no probs at all. We are a family of 4 and there's stacks of room. The economy is as the others have said. I think and I could be wrong here, but the Patrols (of your chosen 3) are the only ones with the seperate chassis. This is where the body and chassis are one unit and thus not as strong as the seperate set-up. The other is the suspension issues. I am also of the belief that the Prados and Pajeros have at least indipendant front suspension. You will not have a prob with what you say you want to do with it now. But down the track you or hubby decide to become more adventitious, this setup may become a problem. The Patrols have a solid axle with coil or leaf suspension.
If I'm wrong with any of this info, I'm sure the boys will let me know in no uncertian terms.
Go the Patrols
Relaxed
AnswerID: 21681

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 23:08

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 23:08
Tania/Relaxed,

Prado-separate chassis, live axle rear, IFS - compromise
Pajero-Unitary chassis, indepenent all round-better on road
Patrol-what relaxed said..-best off roadRegds

Bill
FollowupID: 14143

Reply By: BoneMan - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:23
Hi Tania, I've been going through the same dilemma as u. But I'm leaning more towards the Land Rover Discovery.

I suggest that you get a diesel - On a recent trip (I was passanger only), the disco td5 with a 95 L tank filled up once while the Jackaroo (patrol) 65 L tank (I think), needed to fill up 5 times, and this was only a 2 day weekend trip with no low range driving.

Cheers.
BoneMan
AnswerID: 21692

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:05
I think that the Jackaroo has extreme serious large copious amounts of major problems if it goes ~320ltrs of Petrol to ~95 of diesel used in 2 days.

But point taken. Diesels are better for longer trips to nowhere.
FollowupID: 14156

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:18

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:18
Jackaroo has 85L tank should get 12-14l/100 on dirt fully loaded, no tow. Around 600k's. It's one of the more efficient petrols.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 14181

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:43
Jackaroo petrol (my fathers) returns up to 26mpg.
Pajeros (latest) are FANTASTIC dirt road tourers.
Patrols (mine) are too big for use as shopping trolleys or do U turn in busys streets.

In the end its a personal choice and it aint easy unless you are an enthuisiast to to brand.

Sean

FollowupID: 14198

Follow Up By: BoneMan - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:49
I don't know why the Jackaroo used so much fuel (I was passenger in the disco), maybe because it was an older model, maybe the tank was not empty when they filled up, maybe there was something seriously wrong with the jack, maybe the disco started out with a full tank - all I know is that every time we saw a petrol station they used the pump.
FollowupID: 14224

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:04

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:04
Don't stress too much, all are fine vehicles, of which you can't go wrong with. Only decision you need to make is petrol or diesel. My advice, if you are largely sticking to the bitumen then go petrol. If you are serious about getting lost, off road somewhere in the outback desert country, go diesel.
Good hunting.
AnswerID: 21717

Reply By: Pipeliner - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 14:35

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 14:35
No doubt about it, the Patrol is a good LARGE offroader - but as was said previously, it is a truck, solid front axle, large, heavy, etc. If you are only going off-road 4 times a year, do you really want to drive the kids to school in it the rest of the time?

In hy humble opinion you would be better off with a MEDIUM 4x4 like the Prado, Pajero or Jackeroo. Jeep Cherokee is also very good (I'm biased, I've got one) but is fractionally smaller - might not be enough luggage space for 3 kids on holiday.

Personally I'd always go for the diesel. Turbo diesels today are as easy around town as a petrol - as long as your driving style doesn't call for lightning accelleration. And they are significantly more economical. My 2.5litre Jeep returns 10L/100km (75% city 25% highway) - try getting that out of a petrol Prado or Pajero.
AnswerID: 21731

Sponsored Links