Gibb River Raod

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:31
ThreadID: 5259 Views:2137 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Its been ten + years since Ive been along the Gibb River and I cant recall having seen any Camper vans as we camped with swaggs. Now that I have a Jayco Outback Off Roader (Eagle) the question is can I get into some of the camping areas and I'd be interested from forum members who may have been with a Camper along the Gibb River.
Thanks to all
Rolly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:11
We went this time last year and we did see some camper trailers, all offroaders. I reckon the towing would have been hard work because the road was extremely corrugated & until you got up to about 60kmh, you'd wonder what was keeping the car together. Mind you, once set up, it is far better set up than swags or little tents. Also make sure you take at least 2 spare tyres and a tyre repair kit. All the sites we went to were equally accessible to camper trailers & tenters alike.
AnswerID: 21762

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:22
If you can wait for a couple of weeks I should be able to tell you cos I am off hopefully next week some time.

Sean
AnswerID: 21767

Follow Up By: Member - Greg (rolly) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 16:17
Sean,
Thanks, we also will be on the road around that time Katherine to Broome and back leaving on the 22 Jun. Small world my rego 4TSRUS (NT). Will be on UHF scann on the way.
Thanks. Rolly
FollowupID: 14260

Follow Up By: sean - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 20:44
Rolly

we are in darwin and we did two trips to the east kimberleys last year and it was great country but we only got as far as the Penticost becuaes we run out of time. We will be trying to get back about when you leave. Are you a member of any of the clubs up here.

Sean
FollowupID: 14281

Follow Up By: Member - Greg (rolly) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:08

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:08
Sean,
Member Top End 4x4 Club. Also, and to other Forum members, can you camp with the "Jayco" in the Bungle Bungles if so what is the camp areas like (any swimming spots). Cheers
Rolly
FollowupID: 14321

Follow Up By: sean - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:27

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:27
Rolly

we have just joined your club and your rego rings a bell.

Sean
FollowupID: 14388

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 00:24

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 00:24
A friend of mine towed a Jayco Freedom pop-top with the outback pack along the GRR last year. People were surprised at the places he was able to get into. Things to watch for. (1) Shocky mounts can shear off. Jayco do an upgrade if it happens but that's no good if you're on the GRR at the time. (2) Upgrade to heavier "U" bolts and swap to castle top bolts (use of these may require the use of shim washers to get the tension right. Fortunately my friend had noticed the weaknesses before he left, althouygh he did have some work done whilst in Broome as well. He is very happy with all other aspects of his rig but maintains you must pay particular attention to the suspension.
Happy camping.
AnswerID: 21794

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:04

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:04
I towed a normal 7x4 trailer with slightly modified suspension and Cruiser rims for 5 weeks along GRR, Mitchell Plateau & Kalumburu at this very same time last year without a single incident so I reckon your Jayco Outback Off Roader should be fine if it's any good. You won't be on your Pat as there's literally hundreds of them and provided you've got access to spares and drive sensibly then you should be okay.
AnswerID: 21796

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:34

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:34
We towed a Kimberley kamper across the Gibb last September, with no problems at all.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 21807

Reply By: Member - Alan - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:42
Hi Rolly -
We got home last Sunday(1st June) after six weeks away doing Cape Leveque / Gibb River Road / Mitchell Plateau /Bungles etc. You will see many off road campers on the road so you will not be alone. We towed our own custom made off road camper and had no problems getting to the areas we wanted too.
Road conditions were not the best (my opinoin) with the GRR getting worse as you progressed east. I'm not familiar with your Camper but providing its a proper off road unit with the suspension to handle "corr-agg-attions" you should be OK. Its very dry (its was a dry wet season) and dust can be a problem , our dustproof cover over the trailor did the job in keeping it out although I did see a few campers enroute with bedding etc covered in dust- not the best thing to discover after a long day on the road.
Insects attracted to our white light (Versalite) at night were an inconvenience , noticed other campers had yellow lights or covered their lights with yellow paper (as we did) which solved the problem.
Have a good trip , if you require any further info come back to me
Regards
Alan

AnswerID: 21813

Sponsored Links