GQ Patrol - TI vs. ST

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:44
ThreadID: 5276 Views:10986 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering buying a Nissan Patrol, about a 1993 model and I am looking for some advice or words of experience. I am debating whether to go for a TI or an ST, from what I can gather the main differences are leather interior, factory CD, limited slip diff. and centre diff lock on the TI and not the ST (am I correct?). Is it worth paying any extra for a TI? It will be mostly used for city driving, weekend camping (casual off-road use) and driving up to the snow. I am leaning towards dual fuel given what I have heard about LPG fuel ecomomy and would prefer an manual.

Any advice gratefully received.
Jeremy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob W - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:02

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:02
Jezza - Not aware of any centre diff lock on patrols, rear diff lock fitted to Ti, excellent LSD to other patrols. If you want the extra luxury go for it, but you would get a younger St for same money. A lot of petrol Patrols are duel fuel so it is obviously a big saving to get one allready converted allthough at ten years old you may need new mixer etc. Look for big LPG tank securely fitted but not to big as it hangs to low and can be struck in steep country. The high roof could mean a special roof rack if you require one. Good hunting.
Bob W.
AnswerID: 21808

Follow Up By: Jezza - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 21:48

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 21:48
Bob,

Thanks very much for your reply. I was pleasantly surprised with the speed and number of replies I received - the advice and experience shared was fantastic.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
FollowupID: 14483

Reply By: Gerry - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:09

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:09
Hi Jezza - The ST also has the limited slip diff as standard. I guess it comes down to what comes along at the right price. As an owner of a dual fuel GQ, the running costs on LPG are very close to that of a diesel, however, on petrol it is 2 or 3 times - all depending on the current prices of fuel of course. My next car will most certainly be diesel, especially since LPG is not that prevalent in country and outback areas. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 4.2 litre petrol motor is prone to cracking heads on LPG due mainly to the higher combustion temperatures - there are several steel plugs screwed into the alloy head to seal off some casting galleries, which is where they crack. I know mine has done it twice now but last time I had all of the plugs removed and the holes welded closed so hopefully it is now OK. Other than that - I'm very happy the ol' girl. However, you may want to seriouly consider going diesel - up to you...

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 21809

Follow Up By: Jezza - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 21:52

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 21:52
Gerry,

Thanks very much for your reply. I was pleasantly surprised with the speed and number of replies I received - the advice and experience shared was fantastic.

The information regarding LPG and Nissan heads cracking kinda put a dent in my plans! but will probably save me $$$ and heartache in the long run.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
FollowupID: 14484

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:15

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:15
I will confuse you more. Theres 2 models of Ti!! One has leather, and other has Velour trim. Mine has Velour, elec windows, p/s, air con, etc.. Nice really..

1993 is GQ2, which is a good car, price and accessories are a thing to look for. Bloke in our club just traded his 1996 TB42(TB is petrol TD is Diesel) and the car yard has $27,000 on it!!! It ias 193,000klms on it, winch and not much else.

No GQs have Center Diff, ST and Ti Have LSD which is one of the best LSD there is, some have rear diff lock standard.

Personal Preference steer clear of Petrol on LPG, mate bought one 2 mths ago, and the head had been patched up, as it blew up he now has a $1000+ bill for repairs now on the head alone. And on Petrol, they are THIRSTY, check the thread week or 4 ago where I asked people for fuel economy figures on GQs. GQ Heads dont like LPG. There are mods that can be done to sort it out but all costs $$...

Diesel TD42 is the pick, but is no rocket ship, a Turbo is a good option on them which will set you back anything from $2500- 4000 depending on brand, and if you are serious an Intercooler for around $1000-3000.

Check out my page http://www.gqpatrol.com/for a check list of things to look out for on GQs.
AnswerID: 21817

Follow Up By: Member - GPA (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:50
G'day Truckster,

I have a 09/91 SWB TD42 Maverick.

It has a LSD and velour upholstery and trim, flared wide guards, with two tone paint job 'white on gun metal'... (manual windows - but I understand that power windows were available as an option on this model)

Any ideas on which model GQ this is ? The hand / logbook only refer to it as the 'hardtop'.

thanks
FollowupID: 14240

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:54

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:54
9/91 would be GQ2, it changed around April/May 1991.

Anyway, Mavericks are a different kettle of fish.. Ford spec'ed them themselves, with different things.

To me it sounds like a Wide Wheel packed Ti, but then you say Manual windows, so I would say its Wide Wheel packed ST equivalant in a GQ... They did come with Cheese cutter tires like the Telstra Spec ones, 7.50x16s or what ever they are!

You now have to buy GQ parts as Ford dont do parts for Mavericks anymore from what Im told. Could be wrong.
FollowupID: 14241

Follow Up By: Jezza - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 22:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 22:01
Truckster,

You seem to be a font of considerable knowledge about GU patrols - your advice was much appreciated. BTW your website is also first-class. Interestingly, it did not show up in any of the searches I did using Google - pity, I would have been heading in the right direction from the start (maybe its too new?).

Cheers and thanks,
Jeremy
FollowupID: 14486

Sponsored Links