Page Update - Sat--Trak24

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 17:14
ThreadID: 5283 Views:2322 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
For those of you that have been following progress of SAT--TRAK24, there has been a total page update of the information we published launching their service/equipment. This includes a full breakdown of costings and explains in greater detail how it all works etc.

See the updated product feature pageExplorOz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 21:05
I have altered my view on this piece of technology and can see that it will benefit many who are travelling beyond the reaches of normal communication devices.

There is a cost, ofcourse, but I am sure there will be lots of customers as the applications could be diverse.

Unfortunately I have too many toys already and this one will be beyond my reach. :-)

If only Burke and Wills had this sort of technology in their time...then the course of history may have changed.!!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 21873

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:40

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:40
Willem,
Thank heavens Burke and Wills didn't have the system. If they did there would not be a Dig Tree and AMP would not be able charge $11.00 to see it, and they need every dollar they can get at the moment.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 14323

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:49

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:49
It does look like an excellent innovation but as a recreational 4WDriver I find the up front purchase cost and on-going weekly/annual fees prohibitive. With so much gadgetry and equipment being pushed at the 4WD market these days it is easy to fall into the trap of having the the best set-up rig around but as a consequence, you can't afford to go anywhere. Unless we win lotto, we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and say enough is enough.

For us it's a question of deciding what is essential and what isn't. Safety obviously always comes first but for far less expense we can carry an EPIRB and hire/buy a HF radio and/or Sat phone.

Having said that, most new things tend to come down in price over time so maybe we'd have another look at it in a few years time.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 21905

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:22

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:22
I don't think the set-up costs are particularly unreasonable, compared to HF or SatPhone. The $10 a week for a once per day position update is perhaps a little steep, and the messaging cost which is quite high when compared to other forms of communication. An average 3 sentence message could cost about $7.50. Several of these a week plus a daily, or more frequent position update starts to get a bet exy.

Michelle J, the product feature page mentions your cost will be $66 for 13 weeks, or $5.08 per week, which is a lot less than to prices mentioned elsewhere in that blurb. What are you getting for your $5.08? How often will the ExplorOz site be updated with your position?

BTW, does position monitoring, and associated costs, also relate to your in-vehicle, on-screen position, or only the web site?Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 21906

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 14:10

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 14:10
The 13 weeks service at $66 is for the private recreational webpage that subscribers will be able to have as an optional service for the beneft of their private friends and family to watch. It will show trip progress on a map with real time tracking of the traveller's progress and current position for chosen for viewing by others over the internet. This viewing WILL be by going to the SAT--TRAK24 website once the network is fully launched.

This part of the service isn't ready yet and for the launch of the service they want to demostrate it publicly.

SAT--TRAK24 have simply approached us to launch it, so the demo is on ExplorOz because we have the readers not the other way around!

So to answer your last qn, the position monitoring, etc is for your in-vehicle moving map use and also for the network to know where you are in case of enquiry from family, or the need for emergency despatch.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 14340

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:13

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:13
Thanks Michelle. here's another one for you.

In the info on the product feature page, and all previous dicussions about the product, I've only ever seen reference to weekly or daily position monitoring. However, when I'm 4ed'ing, I have my GPS updating continously and Moving Map updating every km or so.

What are the Sat-Trak costs for multiple position updates per day, say hourly, or half-hourly?Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14344

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:59

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:59
Position monitoring services doesn't have any effect on your in-car navigation - the gps moving map mode is still independant of that and works just as any other gps/map feature. The monitoring services is a safety feature, not a navigational feature, although when the back to network position has been done then that is the data shown on the webpage for family/friends if you subscribe to that option.

Didn't realise that wasn't clear!ExplorOz
FollowupID: 14353

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 16:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 16:00
It may have been (clear), to everyone else. Thanks for the clarification.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14354

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:50

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:50
Its starting to look more interesting. The article mentions a super PDA or tablet PC for navigation. Would it be necessary to obtain either of these or could a laptop be plugged in?
AnswerID: 21920

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:58

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 13:58
These PDAs/Tablet PC are not standard, they have been configured with the SAT--TRAK24 mapping engine which isn't possible with a pulg in laptop. This part of the system is optional (see pricing) but provides the gps/mapping and visual features that brings the whole system together.

Again, I haven't actually got a unit here in test yet. Will be here in a few weeks for the launch and then following the field test we'll report it warts and all.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 14339

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:54

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:54
Michelle,
Nonstandard PDA's/Tablets are a no-no for me; if I can't use the system to talk to my laptop it's of no use; but maybe I've misunderstood the option of having just the receiver and ISP services),
rgds
Dougfrom:
The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004
FollowupID: 14350

Reply By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 14:26

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 14:26
Thanks, Michelle, for updating the ExplorOz information on this innovative system.

I've just had a look and my initial impressions are:
1. Essential for people like me who like to use the-Internet-for everything
2. Expensive (it's hard to imagine it will be bandwidth limited with those message costs. The upfront costs compare OK with HF Radio, but a sensible person would need HF anyway. (until SAT-TRAK24 is proven, which will have a slow uptake)
3. Where is the general flexibilty to get to the 'Net? I'll need to access sites like Exploroz, as well as uploading my own pages.
4. Yes, I would pay the $66 to watch you guys check it out !

rgds
Doug
The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004
AnswerID: 21923

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:16

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:16
That's a fine way to talk about your partner. Imagine, calling someone a "Welshmun"?!?!

Great looking rig.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14345

Reply By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:57

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 15:57
Rohan,
She likes being called the 'Witch'; sometimes the 'W" gets replaced by a 'B" !
More rig details at http://www.wychweb.com.au/rvtrailers/
The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004
AnswerID: 21926

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 16:06

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 16:06
Looks magic (but where's the Witch?). Did you have a choice of colours?Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14356

Reply By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 18:08

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 18:08
Yeah, The Witch chose the colours, Rohan.
They're growing on me . .
Dougfrom:
The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004 for 2+ years
in '93 Series 80 & Dream Camper
AnswerID: 21941

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:50

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:50
I could have sworn I was using 'post follow-up' but some of mine have come as replies. .
Maybe it was me . .
Apologies ..
Doug
PS here's "The Witch" . .
[ View Image]from:
The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004 for 2+ years
in '93 Series 80 & Dream Camper
FollowupID: 14386

Sponsored Links