wich cooking pot cobb camp oven [ect]

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 15:37
ThreadID: 53009 Views:6865 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all looking to buy a cooking pot ,i have camp oven looking for something differant dream pot or something like that , or cobb who got the answer to my question love to hear and how they preform thanks Stan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 15:58

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 15:58
G'day Stan,
Depends what you want to use it for mate.

A "Cobb Oven" is a self contained BBQ-type cooking set-up whereby you use up to 8 heat beads inside the unit and can use it to cook roasts, bbqs etc. It's a bit like a mini Webber kettle.

A Dream pot is totally different. It could more aptly be described as an overgrown thermos!! Basically it is a large insultaed tub which holds a large stainless steel sauspan with another, half sized sauspan inside that. There is a s/steel lid that fits on either/both sauspan and the whol lot has a hinged insulated lid to seal the whole unit. With this one, you can (for example) boil up a lump of corned silverside at the begiining of the day, in the large sauspan, then insert it into the thermo-cover and travel with it still cooking in it's own juices all day. When you get to your destination, the meat is deliciously tender. You may just need to bring it back up to the boil or close to....but it's virtually ready to eat. You can have other things (eg vegetables) in the smaller pan on top of the meat and the whole lot cooks at the same time.

We have both of these cooking devices and they are both great.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 279206

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:14

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:14
Happy New Year Stan,

I purchased a Cob and it's various accessories last year mainly because you can use it for many different purposes. I use it for cooking bread and cakes thrice weekly when on the remote treks, as an oven for roasts and as a BBQ or stove on occassions when firewood is scarce or it's bleep rain. Versatile and turns out a great feed. You'll be surprised how many people will turn up for a chat when they smell fresh baked bread or a roast cooking away.

Cheers.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279214

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:27
Just to elaborate a little on Roachie's description of the Cobb, I think it is fair to say it does more than provide a mini BBQ style of cooking.

As well as roast meats and vegetables to perfection, you can also grill, fry and bake in the Cobb. It either comes with, or has accessories available such as a grilling pan, a frying pan, a wok and a roasting dish. We don't tend to use the Cobb much for frying, as we generally carry a gas stove with us and you can whip up bacon & eggs and eat them, while the heatbeads are still firing up.

I noticed on the Cobb Australia Web site you can even buy a cheaper mild steel base Cooker (the Cobb Pro) with an optional carry case to reduce cost, but I would recommend the Premier model with a stainless steel base.
You can buy the whole kit which comes with most accessories for around $230.

I'm sure theDreampot has its fans as well, but I am not familiar with the details of this cooker.Thermos also manufacture a competitive unit which some say is of higher quality, but also probably a higher price.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 279218

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 16:36
What the?

I'm sure I marked the correct URL for the Thermos brand cooker. Let's try again:-

Thermos Shuttle Chef

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 543375

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 06:37

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 06:37
I picked mine up for $220 ( still expensive IMO but its an evil necessity) I got the premium version not the pro - from memory there is about a $30 difference between the stainless steel version and the normal version ----(pro= normal - Premium = s/s)

Boc
FollowupID: 543443

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 17:51
Hi Stan. It is largely a matter of preference. I have never owned a Cobb, but have experienced them when camping with friends. Certainly a good product.

My preference though, is the cast iron camp oven, which you seem to have already (and looking to move to something else). We have two - large oval shape and medium round. We carry the medium one on all our trips and cook roasts, bread, cakes, stews, scones and lots more in it. I prefer to cook on coals from a fire, but we sometimes use heat beads if in an area where fires are not permitted.

For me, I doubt that I'll ever look to one of the other more expensive 'commercial' products. But as I said, it is all a matter of preference and what you can get good results from.
AnswerID: 279240

Reply By: kidsandall - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 21:03
we have a dream pot and find it unreal. we are travelling around australia and found it good for cooking while on the road. just pull into camp and tea is ready, can't do that with a cobb. we also use it for a hot lunch when having a picnic eg. hot dogs. We do casseroles, roasts, bread, scones and desserts ect in it. When we stop for lunch we put tea in the pot and thats it, all done. it can also be used to keep things cold eg drinks at the beach. We also have hillbilly camp ovens for the fire. whatever you buy have fun experimenting as you can cook alot with all of them.
J,M,J,J
AnswerID: 279274

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:18
Ahhh,

The other use we have for our Dreampot (as some of you may remember from the Warraweena get-together) is to keep the "mulled wine" warm...... That was certainly a winner with a couple of the EO reprabates!!!! hahaha
FollowupID: 543473

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:18
I own a Cobb and use it at home for roasting lamb, beef etc. It is also a great cooker for camping if you want to roast a meal and there are fire restrictions.

I have eaten a meal from a friend's dreampot and it does the job OK too though the meal was a curry and rice dish i don't know if they would handle a roast type meal. Being based on hot liquid power i assume they are for stews and the like. Could be wrong here because i have never used one myself.

I haven't used the Cobb for breadmaking yet but i believe it does a good job once you get the hang of it.

Cobb don't make the plastic based model anymore because they were too fragile for camping, the premier is the model to choose with the addition of the CobBra from infront camping gear to shield from wind
AnswerID: 279301

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:26

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:26
Not wishing to be pedantic at all.......but we were told in no uncertain terms a year or so ago, by an officious park ranger in southern SA (Deep Creek Conservation Park); that the use of any heat bead driven appliance (eg: webber or cobb oven) was totally illegal when there is a total fire ban. He also included in this, the use of even a gas stove inside our camper trailer. The only time we could be allowed to use even a gas appliance during a total fire ban, was inside a fixed, permanent structure (eg: house, shack etc).

He added in a very stern voice that he would throw the book at anybody he caught flauting these rules.

We headed off to set-up camp and had sandwiches for tea. Anyway, around 9pm a few of us colluded together and decided to take a risk.....we boiled the kettle inside our camper for a much-needed cup of coffee. It wasn't as though it was even a hot day where we were!! It was quite cold (hence the "need" for a coffee); however the rest of SA was suffering from the heat. Admittedly, the wind had been fairly strong during the day, but by 9pm the temp was about 12 degrees and wind was minimal.
FollowupID: 543474

Sponsored Links