FLYSCREEN REPAIR ON CAMPER TRAILER DOORS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:59
ThreadID: 53043 Views:14897 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a second hand camper trailer and are preparing for a trip to Cape York during May. The zip doors on the main entry to the sleeping area (which sits above the trailer) need repair. The fly netting is pulling away from the zip where it has been stitched rather badly. Have spoken to several canvas repairers and none are really interested in repairing (a lot of hand sewing involved as it's not easily removed from the camper base). Has anyone had a similar experience and how/who did your repairs? and approximate cost?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:45
Hi I have repaired the flywire on the window of my Jayco, I let the top down and then got the cooks sewing machine ( the old one) and moved the machine along the canvas a bit at a time. mine was on the end and a bit easier than the door on a camper trailer but have done the same thing on my old Campermatic that we had before ( people tend to walk thru the fly screens dont know why)
Hope you get it sorted Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 279401

Reply By: ellen&greg - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:50

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:50
We had the same problem with the fly wire door on our NEW camper trailer. Where the zip was sewn to the fly wire there was not enough overlap and it pulled away after about 2 months. What l did was sew it myself with my home sewing machine.

My husband had to rig up a high table in the back yard so that the sewing machine could "reach" the area on the door that required sewing. I reinforced it with some black bias binding and stitched the whole lot with zig-zag stitching. This was about 18 months ago and it is holding well. It is not even very noticeable. I will have to do the other side in the near future as it is going the same way. We must have looked a sight with the sewing machine balancing on a box on top of a table and me standing on another box with the presser foot on it so that the cord could reach. All done in the middle of the back yard.

I'm in north Queensland. Are you up this way? You could come and have a look what we did.

Ellen

Ellen
AnswerID: 279572

Reply By: BR - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:21

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:21
Whereabouts are you, which State, City.?
AnswerID: 284680

Sponsored Links