wireless broadband

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:15
ThreadID: 53049 Views:1854 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
would be interested in anybody's experience with wireless broadband, esp NT and the northwest. Seems to be 3 main providers, Telstra, Optus and 3. Coverage, service level, etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:20
Finally moved to BB here on the coast some time ago. Got the cheapest download limited Telstra plan I could, and exceeded the monthly download limit in 3 days ! So, now it's unlimited and all our machines at home are wireless networked. Brilliant so far. Difference between a modern car and horse and cart.
No comments on other providers etc sorry .
AnswerID: 279418

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:29

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:29
Had my Telstra 400 meg BB $40 a month plan running without wires here in Adelaide for 3 months. Very good overall. Re the sales people.....take nothing you hear on the phone as gospel..... you'll be charged on the basis of what's actually in the fine print ! They are stingy but - 400meg is up and down the line !! .... and you can't save unused data month to month (this is actually confiscating what you have already paid for.... but do they care ?).
AnswerID: 279421

Reply By: Geepeem - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:34
HI Lee,
Neighbour just signed up with Virgin in Brisbane for wireless BB. He is very happy with it, $60/month incl unlimited local and STD phone calls as well (no mobile). It works well for him but I think you need to check it out - does not work in all areas yet.

Cheers,
GPM
AnswerID: 279426

Reply By: ddr - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:54
A few place ive used Bigpond's

Beachport SA, camping 8ks outside of narrandera, Dubbo, camping outside of Moree, Mallacoota & more that I cant remember atm.

Check where you want to go & the coverage maps.

The cards I used didnt have an external antenna & worked fine, worst reception I had was in Beachport of 3 out of 5 bars.
AnswerID: 279428

Reply By: Mogul - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:03

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:03
Go with Telstra. I have a USB modem for the laptop and couldn't be happier.

Basically whereever you get NextG coverage you get iinternet access. I even had it in Eucla.

It can be expensive though, but I do a lot of travelling so it's worth it.

Currently typing this in Mallacoota overlooking the lake.
AnswerID: 279432

Reply By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:48
G'day Lee,

As many have already stated, Bigpond's NextG is your best option. Regrettably it is expensive compared to fixed line ADSL, we also found the $50/month 200MB limit was inadequate and quickly shifted to the $80 1 GIG plan.

Whilst NextG wireless is a data card only, VOIP, such as SKYPE will reduce your reliance on mobile phone calling when on the move; we have called several friends in Europe and NZ over recent days, all at $0.027 per minute.

As to coverage in NT I cannot comment, but as suggested earlier you can check coverage through their website and an antenna does improve it considerably. We spent several months in Far North & Outback Queensland recently and nobody we met got better coverage than ours.

Cheers & happy new year,
Paul
AnswerID: 279441

Sponsored Links